Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Discussion All general comments or enquiries go here. Website, club oriented, or general Skyline banter.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 04:30 PM   #1
HellBent
AF Regular

Skylines already being SOLD in the USA!

Everyone,

Skylines are already being sold in the USA! Sure they are being called Infinitis, but none the less these are Nissan Skylines. So our collective dreams have come true!

So there is no Skyline GT-R... Well there is no Skyline GT-R offered for sale in Nissan showrooms in Japan either. I believe the G35 coupe will be the precursor to thenext GT-R. I didn't notice a coupe version for sale in Japan yet, so we are actually ahead of the Japanese market for once (yeah right!).

For those unhappy with the G35 coupe, think about it, it already has more ponies than a Japanese Skyline GT-R. At 280 hp it has 5 more hp than a GT-R. (I understand the old GT-Rs may have been under rated by the factory on purpose, but I am going by factory numbers.)

Also I have heard from the Infiniti dealer close to my home, that Infiniti will be making all models all-wheel drive in the near future. There are already models of the present iteration of the Japanese Nissan Skyline that are all-wheel drive. Interestingly the all-wheel drive (Japanese Skyline) is not the V-6 engine like we have here as the G35.

I guess the point of my post is that the Skyline is finally here!!!! Sure we don't have the GT-R of legend, but I predict it is coming. The fact that there is an all-wheel drive 4 door Skyline presently on sale in Japan, proves the G35 chassis is built to accept all-wheel drive. Further the notion that the V-6 used in present Skylines is not currently available with AWD, may mean the V-6 doesn't work with the layout/transmission needed for AWD. This could mean another motor for a GT-R variant.

Now consider my old argument I applied to the 350Z about pricing. Americans tend to pay about $30,000 for 300hp. Thus I argued that the 350Z would have less than 300hp, because the price was sub $30,000. I was right only, because of economics. As HP increases, price tends to incease a bit quicker, as demonstrated:
(rough numbers)
C5 corvette (stock 350 HP) $41,000
Corvette ZO6 (stock 405 HP) $50,000
Dodge Viper (stock 450 HP) $70,000
2003 Viper (stock 500 HP) $80,000

Now translating all of this to a possible GT-R Infiniti model, I would say it boils out like this:

Ininiti GT-R (stock 385-440 HP) $60,000-$80,000

My guess on the engine will be either:
(1) the old inline-6 twin turbo (small chance)
(2) a new small displacement V-8 (possibly twin turbo as in the Audi RS6)

It make sense. If Audi can sell a 450 HP luxury Sedan with a twin turbo V-8, and people are lining up out the door to purchase one. It makes sense that Nissan can sell a similar upscale luxury/sport coupe with the same stats for around the same price. (My guess is slightly less power than the RS6 and also slightly less price.

TOTAL:
Infiniti GT-R (stock 400 HP) $62,000 (plus options of course)

Well, now my brain hurts (it's difficult to predict the future) so I gotta go. Let me know if you think I am close.

Regards,

Al
Old 10-03-2002, 08:50 PM   #2
F=ma
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to F=ma
Uh...

Hello and welcome to last year?
F=ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 02:51 PM   #3
cph81
AF Enthusiast

Welcome back to earth.
cph81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 05:18 PM   #4
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
F=ma,

That was funny, not to PC, but damn good.

Hellbent,

No flame, but this is a topic has been covered before, at least most of it.

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
SkylineUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 10:42 PM   #5
HellBent
AF Regular

Yikes!

Luckily I have a thick skin!
Old 10-08-2002, 03:27 PM   #6
MattyG
AF Enthusiast

Dont worry about it man its all part of the hilarity of posting on Internet forums.

People on this site are very clued up though, so you just gotta do your homework