Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: Which model for a second Jeep
Cherokee - (XJ) 15 46.88%
Wrangler - (CJ-YJ-TJ) 12 37.50%
Get a second Grand Cherokee 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
JDPascal
AF Enthusiast

Which one???

I already have a Grand Cherokee that we love. It is in great shape and I have a difficult time getting to drive it because my wife has laid claim to it.

Since we don't really need two Grand Cherokee's, we've talked about getting a second jeep that I could drive to work and use for fishing and some varmint hunting.

My dilema is -- which one?? An XJ or the TJ-YJ-Wrangler type??
Some of you out there must have or have had both of these models at one time or another and formed some definite opinions.

Which one would you get/recommend?

I haven't set a budget yet but I will be doing some upgrading on which ever model I decide on.

Thanks for your input..........

JD
JDPascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Which one???

Get the latest model XJ you can afford. The later ones are just that more reliable and better equipped.
Although the XJ is an older design, it can do 95% of everything a TJ can do off-road AND have more space inside and be MUCH more comfortable and nice handling on the road.
Although I like the TJ's, personally I think they are a con.......people love the image so they buy into it, but most never use its true of road capabilities. However, the truly lousy on-road performance makes most owners miserable.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
wilwith1l
AF Enthusiast

The YJ is considered the worst Jeep ever by many. None of the good CJ characteristics, and none of the TJ technology.
The TJ is extremely more capable of road. It is nice to go topless, but its small, loud, rough, rugged, uncomfortable, and unrefined.
The XJ is a nice mix between off-road vehicle and Grand Cherokee full out suv.
Whatever you decide, stay away from the YJ get a CJ, TJ, XJ, ZJ, or even an LJ or KJ.
wilwith1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

There's pros and cons either way.

In your Wrangler, you can take the top off, and it's the "trademark" Jeep, open air freedom, all that. On the other hand, the ride is spirited; but you get used to that, and once over the choppiness you'll realize how sturdy it is. (I'm talking from YJ perspective, never having had a pre-'97)

The Cherokee does have a good bit more room inside for hauling, my wife and I had a '99 that served well. It did everything we wanted off road, although a little longer than a Wrangler, which gave it a better highway ride. If your drive is long, I'd say this is your choice.

Of course there's also another Grand Cherokee....if you love the first one, you'll love the second one. Minuses are the expense over the base Cherokee. But if $$ is available, you can get the same drivetrain as your first JGC, so it'll similar to work on and save time and frustration that way.

Personally, I wish I had your dilemma. I'd base the decision on how much stuff/people will be with you. For more than 2, the Cherokee is the better choice. If it's just you though....
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
JDPascal
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the feed back guys!!!

I'll just let this thread and poll float for a while yet. It is good to see all the perspectives down in one spot. Maybe this will be good for someone to look at when considering a first jeep too.

When the time is right, probably in september/october, I'll put all your good thoughts and opinions down and go from there..... DANG business manager (read wife) always wants the swing vote though

In reality though, I can't loose---- either way I'll have another Jeep!!!!!

Thanks again for your experienced opinions.

JD
JDPascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
wilwith1l
AF Enthusiast

I gotta say, if you get another GC, in a few years, one will go out, and then you have a parts car!
wilwith1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
GreenJeep10
AF Newbie

I already have a 97 wrangler but for a second vehicle I would get a classic cherokee
GreenJeep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:36 AM   #8
JeEpBoY95
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JeEpBoY95

i have owned all three at this point a 95ZJ a 95XJ and now a 86CJ. The CJ is by far the best. my XJ was very unreliable and broke off-road with very little effort...in a year i went trough two t-case rebuilds and a rearend rebuild....my ZJ never let me down and never broke on me no matter how hard i thrashed it. my opinion is stick with the ZJ as a trail vehicle or go to a CJ/YJ/TJ.
JeEpBoY95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:17 AM   #9
Ray H
AF Enthusiast

This reply is coming from someone who currently owns and uses all three vehicles you are considering. Ive got a 96 XJ that I use to commute and for the occasional off road excursion and vacation trips. My wifes daily driver is a 99 TJ. It also sees occasional off roading. We also have a lifted and locked 95 YJ that is our weekend toy and has seen many a trail over the last 5 years that weve owned it.
Heres the good, bad and ugly.
All three vehicles have proven to be reliable. you mention that you will be fishing and hunting. That right there screams XJ to me. It would have room for your gear and can be easily locked up. The XJ will also be more comfortable for the trips to work. A TJ/YJ with a hardtop would fill the bill also. The TJs ride and handling is much more refined than the short wheel base Jeeps of the past. You could opt for a soft top which is more fun but less secure. The TJ soft top is easier to deal with than a CJ or YJ top.
The YJ may be considered the worst Jeep by some but the fact is that the YJ drivetrain is almost identical to most TJs. Leaf spring suspension (such as the CJs and YJs have) beats out coil/link suspension anyday for durability and simplicity. Put in those terms, it could be argued that the YJ is the best of both worlds. I wont go as far to say that, although I will say that YJs have their strengths as well as weaknesses.
Back to the point, my vote is for the good ole, reliable, utilitarian XJ. It was designed for your needs, unless you just absolutely want to go topless.
Ray H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
98_Classic
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 98_Classic

i have a 00' Wrangler Unlimited. I love it alot. Havign the extra room in the back for anything. It has the versatility of a normal jeep and can do almost everything a regular wrangler can do. I guess its all about opinion but Wrangler or even Wrangler Unlimited is my choice.
98_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
jg09
AF Regular

Do what I did. Buy a WJ Grand Cherokee ('99-'04), get the 6.5" lift kit from Rock Krawler, trim the fenders, put on 35's, and enjoy. You may want to upgrade the stock Dana 44's. Warn makes an upgrade kit for that.
jg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #12
rainyday201
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to rainyday201

I drove an XJ ('89 Cherokee) for the past 8 years. I've moved on to an '89 Grand Wagoneer (The full size jeep). My next jeep will be either a wrangler unlimited or a CJ I will stretch into an unlimited. The added 10' of wheelbase makes for an exceptionally smoother ride. Take a wrangler unlimited for a test drive and see for yourself. It may be the deciding factor for you getting a wrangler for a daily driver.
Aaron
rainyday201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #13
Endarias
AF Newbie

Grand Wagoneer all the way baby
Endarias is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion