Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 07:07 PM   #31
HiRez_L
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 1996-2000 Caravan/Voyager issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholly
If only that were true! $29 is for the EZ-PC 500 PC LINK CD only. The OBD I & II scanners cost $529.99 and $699.99.

How weird, I just went and looked again and it said $529, just like you said. I swear it used to say $29, and I actually ordered one and got it for $29! It must have been a mistake they've corrected. I'm glad I got mine before they did . . . my best friend got his for about $40 from Wal-Mart, I'll see if I can find a link to that.

Well, I called my friend, he said he got his on a special sale, he thinks they're around $100 normally at Wal-Mart.
HiRez_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:43 AM   #32
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to HeadlessHorseman
Re: Re: Re: Re: 1996-2000 Caravan/Voyager issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez_L
How weird, I just went and looked again and it said $529, just like you said. I swear it used to say $29, and I actually ordered one and got it for $29! It must have been a mistake they've corrected. I'm glad I got mine before they did . . . my best friend got his for about $40 from Wal-Mart, I'll see if I can find a link to that.

Well, I called my friend, he said he got his on a special sale, he thinks they're around $100 normally at Wal-Mart.
How about this...

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...ption.asp?3352
HeadlessHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #33
jagplates
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1996-2000 Caravan/Voyager issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessHorseman
That's the same model I bought last year for $129. $108 is a good price. It's a good unit, too. I bought my Voyager from someone who said "The car shudders when you take off unless you turn off the A/C. My mechanic said there weren't any codes." This code reader pulled a code that said "Misfire on #1 cylinder". I yanked the plug & there was carbon tracking down the side of it. New plugs & wires and the car runs great.

Having one of these readers is the difference between guessing and knowing where to look. Well worth the money. (Of course, they COULD just have a display on the instrument cluster that would just list the codes without a tool, but noooooooo...they have to make it sound like this stuff is magic.)
jagplates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #34
Twodragons
AF Newbie

96 Grand Caravan Transmission problems

Problem 1: Gears won't engage in the morning. Takes about 5 minutes of idle in park, and reving the engine up to 3K to get gears to engage when shifted to drive. (San Diego, high 40's in the morning)

Problem 2: Pools of liquid under engine. I suspect tran fluid since I have to frequently refill the transmission fluid.

Self-diagnostic code of 1-2. "Battery or computer recently disconnected."

96 Dodge Grand Caravan, automatic, 3.8 liter engine, 83,000 miles. Second owner, bought in 1998. Have had all brakes replaced, serpintine belt snapped, door locks have a mind of their own, wipers are possessed.

I've read over and over that the tranny needs replacement around 80K miles, costing ~$2,000.

Is it that simple or is there anything else I can get checked/replaced/fixed?

Thanks in advance!
Twodragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #35
EZFrank
AF Regular

Re: 1996-2000 Caravan/Voyager issues

1997 voyager 3.8 4 speed tranny problems and radiator problems
Old 04-11-2005, 02:01 AM   #36
prong2002
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to prong2002 Send a message via AIM to prong2002 Send a message via MSN to prong2002 Send a message via Yahoo to prong2002
Re: Re: 1996-2000 Caravan/Voyager issues

I personally think the plymouth/dodge vehicles are very reliable cars. Of course, I will also agree that you must service the transmission regularly. Every 10000 miles would not be overkill. I've had two caravans (1980something and a 1996). My 1996 Voyager has a rebuilt transmission (it lasted 98K). I bought it at 40,000 and serviced the transmission twice. The transmission still had to be rebuilt. Luckily, I had the 3 speed transmission because it only cost me $1500. Aside from the transmission the vehicle is extremely reliable. I hope the transmission will hold out though. I am extremely sketchy about the transmission. It seems that I've had problems ever since I serviced the back brakes. I might have it checked out. It seems there is a bit of a grinding noise. But, when I stop and stick my hand over drums they seem cool. So maybe it was simple wear and tear.
prong2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:17 AM   #37
RIP
AF -Advisor

Some of you don't want to hear this - 96 GC 3.8 ltr with 188,000 miles on it and the tranny hasn't so much as hickup'd. I change the fluid annually with ATF +3 only and change the filter every 3 years. I've changed the starter, water pump, radiator, and repaired a door lock mechanism. I'm living with an A/C system that has to be recharged every summer and wipers that come on when they wish (I pull the fuse out during the non-rainy season). Other than that, it's been a great car. It looks like Crystler built this one on a Wednesday.

197K miles now. Fixed a leak for $700 at 191k. Other than that, still lookin good. Feb08

Last edited by RIP; 02-01-2008 at 11:31 PM.
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #38
dshdwg
AF Newbie

Cool Re: 1996-2000 Caravan/Voyager issues

I'm new hear and need to replace a starter for a plymouth voyager----I HATE SIDE MOUNT ENGINES!!!!-----where is the starter on this cramped quarters motor???? any help, greatfully appreciated
dshdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #39
wafrederick
Banned

The Chrysler minivans are hot sellers and my father knows about it since he is an used car dealer.The GM and Ford minivans are very hard to sell.There was a rumor out that GM and Ford were going to quit making minivans.I know one Carquest parts store that has 2 of them and still run being maintained.One is one hoist,transmission problems and it is the three speed auto.One thing to watch on the 3 and 4 speed transmissions,the spider gears pin spits out and ruins the case if not caught in time.Found a fix for that to prevent this,weld the ends of the spider pin to the case,not the spider gears.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #40
Rama
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDnIgHt RuMbLeR
I am looking at purchasing a 1996 dodge caravan or voyager and was just curious as to what common problems these vans have. What should i watch out for when buying a 96 and at how many kilometer's do things tend to break down?

MiDnIgHt RuMbLeR, I have a 97 voyager with over 300'000 km on it. It is now just starting to give me a few electrical glitches. I had my transmission go at about 110,000 km and air conditioning repaired twice. I had never had a tuneup done until two months ago. Changed the oil @ every 5000 km and she still runs great. Never failed any emmisions tests. It doesn't like towing my boat or utility trailer much, but I never had transmission cooling rad installed either. I myself would not hesitate to buy another, infact my wife and I have be looking @ a newer 2004.
No matter what vehicle you buy someone is always going to find fault.
Reading this forum is great but remember these are people that are having some issues with there vehicles now, which looks like alot but it is nothing compared to the amount of Voyagers and Caravans that are on the road. I hope this will help, I love my van.
Rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #41
Mbriggs
AF Newbie

Just bought another Caravan, a 96 ES with 160k that is is great shape with a rebuilt tranny. Can't afford to buy anything more expensive as I will be adding a 17 yr old to my policy and full coverage on anything desent would be way to much $. For me, its the devil I know!
01 Saturn L200 165K

7 previous Caravans/Voyagers
Mbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:40 PM   #42
coopdavillage
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDnIgHt RuMbLeR
I am looking at purchasing a 1996 dodge caravan or voyager and was just curious as to what common problems these vans have. What should i watch out for when buying a 96 and at how many kilometer's do things tend to break down?

i have to admit they are pretty good vans but they have way to many phantoms..... just to name a few on my '97: sensor in the steering columg goes bad causing cruise and horn to stop working, wipers short and turn on when turning or using turn signal, climate control fan cuts out, 4th speed on fan doesnt work, radio cuts out sometimes and i have heard of many many more. so just be careful when you buy one.

speaking of which another issue that just developed tonight i will post in a new thread but my breaks are having issues and cutting out the rest of the car......
coopdavillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #43
CaravanMan77
AF Newbie

I have a 98 (185K miles) and an 03 with 67k miles. Aside from the $750 crossover pipe, the van has been great to us for 110k miles. Brakes are a yearly item, and I just replaced original water pump and my first belt. Of course the strut towers look like swiss cheese, but I plan on running into the ground. Strong engine (3.3) and great tranny....the orginal by the way.
I love it. It has been a great vehicle for us. Now we have 2
CaravanMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #44
panchoelpescador
AF Newbie

Question Re: 1996-2000 Caravan/Voyager issues

i have dodge grand caravan 99 3.3 engine .i changed the oil, when finished inside in the van. the speedometer its at maximun and dont move.i think that is the speed sensor but i dont now where is.please help me. thanks
panchoelpescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #45
accord27
AF Newbie

Question Re: 1996-2000 Caravan/Voyager issues

I have a 2000 Caravan 3.0L. I just put a Transmission in it 33 days ago cuz the diff. Pin dropped in the trans. It was making a grinding sound on the highway then it went out...BLOW IT ALL APART! My new trans has 40,000kms on it , and its making the same sound on the highway...I think the pin is falling out again. There is a bracket Dodge made in 2002 for the 2002 and newer vans. If anyone knows what Im talking about, can you tell me if it can go on a 2000??? I need a van, and dont have money for a honda, and the fords are MUCH worse then caravans. The Transmissions are good in the caravan but if you spin your wheels in the snow (and how can you NOT spint in the snow) then it will make this pin fall out....so its not your transmission wearing out, its the pin working its way out and falling in your trans. The bracket that Im talking about is at Dodge for 5 bucks (can) opcorn: OTHER then that... My van is working really good, Drives like a brand new van, and also looks new. Thank-you for anyone who writes me back.
accord27 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager