Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 09:58 AM   #1
slantyshanty
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to slantyshanty Send a message via Yahoo to slantyshanty
Angry Well damnit...

I was really trying to not bitch on my second post... but I guess I just can't help it. I am a little dissappointed at the lack of aftermarket products for X's. Maybe I just haven't done enough looking? I have found about 3 maybe 4 lifts, none of which will raise more than 3" (I'm not too into body lifts) I haven't found ANY info on people changing heads/headers/cams or really anything else under the hood other than maybe the intake manifold and the intake hose and filter. Supercharger other than the stock eaton???

grrrrrrr I just got inturrupted and I lost my train of thought, I guess that's ok because I'm sure you have all heard this same crap before.

oh yeah... exhaust? Does anyone have the muffler from nissan? The nismo or whatever? If so does that make it sound like a lil rice car? The muffler shop I usually says they have never put anything on an X before, but he thinks you can't run dual's. I don't agree... it may be a lil' tight under there, but my opinion you should be able to run true duals. Then again I have never owned nissan before.

I've got the dang money right now, and I'm afraid that if I don't spend it on my X I will blow it on crapola. But I can't afford to do EVERYTHING I want to do to it all at once... who can? So I'm just trying to figure out what combination of things I can do with what I got, and work on the other things as I get some more money. I got about $2000.00 maybe 2500... with a stock 04 xe v6 5sp man triathlon (spl?) Didn't get the sc cause I wanted manual and I THOUGHT there would be other sc's out there made for X's (I haven't found any, well I haven't looked hard for those, just everything else)

Well I guess I'm done, sorry for a repeated thread
slantyshanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Re: Well damnit...

You can't lift the IFS on the Xterra more than about 3" without extensive work. The only IFS Nissan lift that is taller is the Trailmaster 4" lift for the older Hardbody truck and original Pathfinder, but it's not a very elegant solution because it drops the torsion bars and their anchor points down from the frame which leaves 'em pretty exposed under the vehicle. Such a kit could be made for the Xterra, but it hasn't, and I'd just as soon it stay that way.
Fabtech has a taller lift for the 2WD Xterra/Frontier and is working on an IFS lift for the 4WD right now. It replaces the upper and lower control arms with longer ones which results in a wider front track, and requires new tie rods and new CV shafts as well, might even include a new spindle, not sure off the top of my head and I'm not inclined to look at the moment.
http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/ht...1frontier.html

SLR (www.spencerlowracing.com) has headers, cams, and a throttle body for the VG33E engine. I only know of one (former) X owner that installed the works engine/performance-wise from SLR on his Xterra. The headers aren't emissions-legal, so only a handful have gone with them. I actually only know of one person running them, a Frontier owner in PA.
If you went with the cams, I'd also take the opportunity to have the heads port-matched to the intake and exhaust. Porting/polishing is also an option, but the VG33 heads don't have much room for improvement in that department, they already have pretty good contouring as I understand. The old VG30 heads were much worse in that department and a P&P job was a good idea on them, but Nissan did a good job when they designed the VG33 heads.

www.tonemonday.com (Alpine) has an SC kit for the VG33 in the works, might even be available, but I know of no installations of it in the wild yet. It has been discussed here before.

The Nismo exhaust is $550 list price and a complete rip-off other than being 100% stainless and including the Y-pipe unlike the rest of the so-called "cat-back" systems from Borla, HKS, etc. It claims a "dyno-proven 3.3 HP and 3.7 lb-ft increase at rear wheels" which is pretty much within the error range of a dyno in the first place and/or could be seen in variation from one pull to the next, no way it's worth $550 for so little power. Not sure what it sounds like either. However, if you go to our part-number section you will see a post from me about the Nissan Stainless Cat-Back which is very similar to but NOT the same as the Nismo one that is a little cheaper and from what I'm told, sounds fantastic. It uses a Dynomax muffler. Not sure how much power it might add, but I still don't expect it to be that much and I wouldn't spend $4xx for it for the power either.
Sure you could run duals, but the problem is the gas tank taking up the space where the right one needs to run. You can go around it but you're just lenghtening the run which makes that bank a little less efficient and will screw up the exhaust pulse timing and therefore the sound. Not much point in duals anyway unless you just think it's cool to have two tips in the back or something. A single with the right diameter will do the job just fine.

Brent

Last edited by OffroadX; 11-06-2004 at 11:10 PM.
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
slantyshanty
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to slantyshanty Send a message via Yahoo to slantyshanty

WOW, I don't have the time to look at those sites tonight but thanks for the reply. Took my stock x through some pretty good mud (even stock tires) and she did pretty damn good. I was actually quite impressed. Headers not legal??? What the??? Well I guess if there aren't that many people doing stuff like that, then I will just have to hit or miss it untill I find something I'm happy. (can you ever have enough HP or Torq?)
Only thing that sux, is I'm supposed to be moving to Cali about mid next year... so I guess I have to watch what I put on her, don't want to not pass any of their crazy tests.
Anyway, thanks again for the help, will you all know as it goes.
slantyshanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:09 PM   #4
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX

The SLR headers aren't legal because they displace the primary catalytic converters.
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail