Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Dakota
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 09:42 PM   #1
Roscoe86
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Roscoe86
Next-Gen 4.7 or 3.7/3.9?

Hey, what's up fellow dakota peeps. I will be "in the market" for a truck here in about a couple months. I know i'm getting a dakota, no doubt about that, my dad has a black 2k2 SXT 3.9 2wd with duals, flowmaster, hood scoops, tonneau(sp?) cover and window tint, and besides two other cars, i also have his old hand-me-down 87 dakota. 167k miles, 2.2 carbureted, 5-speed, reg. cab long bed. So i think i'm gonna keep the family growing with another dakota. Question is...which engine should i get? It's gonna have a 5-speed whichever way it goes, but i just don't know which engine. Has anybody driven one with the new 3.7? It's got a bit more hp than the 3.9 did. I'm just wondering if it's got the get-up and go haulin' more than lumber attitude that i want with my truck. And a V8's a V8, it would definetely sound good with a set of duals on it, but i don't know how quick it is, haven't heard anything about them. And i've driven my dad's truck countless times, and the 3.9 is alright, but it doesn't really have what i'm looking for. Of course i don't know what they run like with the 5-speed, my dad's is a slushbox.

So, like i said, which engine do you think is best? Would the 3.7 be enough to suffice me, or would the 4.7 be what i am looking for? Also, which has more tuning options? Thanks for the help guys!
Roscoe86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:20 PM   #2
Roscoe86
AF Regular

Man...isn't this a lively forum. Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:16 PM   #3
addihs214
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to addihs214
Re: Next-Gen 4.7 or 3.7/3.9?

Why don't you wait until the '05 model and get the Hemi if it's possible. The hemi already has a ton of options, good power, good aftermarket following. Hemi engines have also been found to be very dependable. Just thought this might help. PM me if you have any questions.

Hope this helps
Dan
addihs214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:05 PM   #4
Roscoe86
AF Regular

Wait...what does that mean?? I can't wait...i NEED a new truck! If only i had the patience, but i don't, wish i did, but i don't. I feel ready to comprimise, besides, if i had a Hemi in my truck, it would spend more time in the police impound lot than it would in my driveway. Not to mention the money i'd be spending on tires would boggle the mind...
Old 12-10-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
addihs214
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to addihs214

Then I would say go with the 4.7L. But if you want to save some money you can get a 3.9L. Don't underestimate the 3.9L just because it's got 2 less cylinders. But my suggestion would be to go with the 4.7L. I have heard great things about it and it's pretty reliable. You can also get the 4.7L with a 5-speed tranny if you wanted.

Hope this helps
Dan
addihs214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:08 AM   #6
brx1769
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7 in it. Its got GREAT acceleration. It has plenty of low-RPM torque. The horsepower could use a little tuning (only has 230) but the torque picks up the rest. Fuel isn't that bad either. I get about 16 MPG average right now but the engine is still breaking in.
brx1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:40 PM   #7
seniorbigs
AF Regular

The 3.9 is a turd. The 4.7 is sweet.
seniorbigs is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Dakota