Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Express | G Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
a1parrothead
AF Newbie

Parasitic amp draw

I need help. My 2007 Chevy express van has an amp draw that is really confusing me. I will start off by saying I think it may be in the ignition, but let me explain. Its odd.
I take off the negative battery cable and use my amp meter in line between the battery terminal and cable to watch the amp draw.
I get a reading of .58 amps. It will stay like that FOREVER. I mean until the battery is dead. But……
I pull the radio fuse and the amp draw drops off to zero. I do not have the factory radio in. Actually I have in an aftermarket navigation screen/dvd/radio all-in-one.
I put the fuse back in and the draw goes back to .58 amps, BUT….. then drops off to zero again.
Every time I reconnect the battery, I get that CONSTANT .58 draw that never ends until my battery is dead. Only by pulling the fuse and putting it back in can I get the amp draw to drop and end. But every time I start the cycle over the amp draw comes back and will not drop off on its own until after I pull the fuse and put it back in. Very strange.
I also have an intermittent door chime that rigs telling me my keys in the ignition, except that my key is not in the ignition. That is what makes me think that all of this may have something to do with my ignition switch.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know that there will be an initial amp draw from the Control Module and from things like the radios/navigation's memory.
The confusing part is the weird pattern of the amp draw. Why does it drop off sometimes, and then stay on forever at other times?
Jeff
a1parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
a1parrothead
AF Newbie

Re: Parasitic amp draw

The source of the parasitic amp draw is not the thing that confuses me the most.
It’s the fact that if I pull the fuse and put it back in, the draw will appear, but soon drop to zero.
THEN, if I disconnect and reconnect the battery, the amp draw will be present forever.
Or at least until I pull the fuse, put it back in, the draw appears, but then drops off and is gone again.
It’s a vicious cycle. The only way I can be sure the amp draw is disappearing is to pull the fuse and put it back in again. That is the only way I can be sure the amp draw will ever drop, other than pulling the fuse and leaving it out.
But if I mess with the battery cables (connect/disconnect) then that amp draw will stay until I pull that fuse and put it back in.
What is going on?

Jeff
a1parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Express | G Van