Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Commodore/VS/VT/VX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 08:35 PM   #1
endoklowd
AF Newbie

Exclamation Changing Over From 202 -> 253 VK Calais

Hello
I own a VK calais 202 EFI, piece of crap. Its died on me. So now I
have scored a 253 V8 ($50!!!!) She just needs a little TLC. So what
I need to know is what am I going to need to go and buy to make this
V8 drop into my VK Calais. I already have 4 wheel disc brakes which is
a requirement for a V8, and obviously Ill need an exhaust & alternator to
suit. But other than that I dont know what I will need. I appreciate any help!!!
I need to get her over the pits as cheap as possible!
endoklowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
engineer
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to engineer
Re: Changing Over From 202 -> 253 VK Calais

it sounds like u dont know enough about cars and u need 2 get a REAL mechanic to do all ur work
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:34 AM   #3
endoklowd
AF Newbie

Yeh

Why even bother posting if you cant help?
Hopefully there is still someone out there who
has half a brain and can help!
endoklowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
blownvc
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoklowd
Hello
I own a VK calais 202 EFI, piece of crap. Its died on me. So now I
have scored a 253 V8 ($50!!!!) She just needs a little TLC. So what
I need to know is what am I going to need to go and buy to make this
V8 drop into my VK Calais. I already have 4 wheel disc brakes which is
a requirement for a V8, and obviously Ill need an exhaust & alternator to
suit. But other than that I dont know what I will need. I appreciate any help!!!
I need to get her over the pits as cheap as possible!
hi just wondering where your from and what you are going to do with the efi setup? email me at athan_mccaw@yahoo.com
blownvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

If I remember correctly, Holden made 253s in either 'Red' or 'Blue' versions. VK Commodores used 'Black' motors (202 and 308) that used a different, updated emissions systems to the older motors. Holden stopped building 253s after the VH model, so you may well run into big dramas with registration legalities/compliance if you fit an older motor which is not emission-certified for your later VK model

You may be able to acheive a legal 253-into-VK swap if you also convert it to (cleaner running) LPG. I'd check all this out with the rego authorities before spending a cent

To acheive a successful 253 V8 swap I'd guess you'd also need sundries like a specific V8 transmission to suit that engine, a V8 radiator, suspension to suit the much heavier V8, a complete exhaust system, starter, fuel pump, engine mounts, 10-bolt diff, maybe a H/D tailshaft and bigger brake booster etc, plus all those little bits and pieces obtainable from wreckers etc, which btw includes the stock V8 air cleaner assembly to pass initial rego conversion/inspection

By 'specific transmission' I mean that early automatic Holden V8 blocks were available in either of two block-to-bellhousing bolt patterns, to mate up with either the Australian Holden-pattern Trimatic automatic, or the imported Chev Turbo automatic which has a different bolt pattern on its bellhousing and won't fit a Holden-spec V8. Likewise a Chev-spec V8 block won't fit up to a V8 Trimatic. Aftermarket adaptor plates are/were available, though

$50 might sound like a cheap start but if it were me going to all this trouble and expense of reconditioning a 253 then swapping over, I'd go a 308 instead - either buying a wrecked V8 donor car, or sell yours and buy a car with a V8 already fitted, as good examples are quite cheap now and probably much cheaper (not to mention easier) than what you will end up spending by farting about with the $50 253 V8 conversion

Alternatively, why not keep the old Holden 202 as they are a likable engine - combined with a few select mods they can be made to go really well in the early lightweight Commodores for little money, especially if you get those mods done while reconditioning. Also think about a manual transmission, which gives a much punchier feel and is more fun to drive. Btw, VK EFI parts in good condition are getting harder to find thesedays. Good luck

Last edited by Thunda Downunda; 05-02-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Thunda Downunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:07 AM   #6
[PSI-EFI]
AF Newbie

y not just go 308 carbied or 304 injected, i know u got 1 for 50 bux but hey, if ur gonna be pulling it apart/or pulling it out, u may aswell put a different motor, more power and bigger torque. and engineer, ur proberly sum old prick that dsnt know how to enhance the power of ur ass-box. leave him alone, he is trying.

sincerely, the one and only, [PSI-EFI]
[PSI-EFI] is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Commodore/VS/VT/VX