Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
daniel 61
AF Newbie

323 i 1999 automatic transmission problem

Hi Guys ! I need some advise !!! I drive 323 i 1999,this car has less than 30 000 miles,everything works great but auto tranny. I keep having a jolting downshifting, whenever I would be slowing to a stop.It feels like 3-2 and 2-1,you can not only hear it but also feel it.I just want to say it is not this famous "clunk" on 3-series which is related to the output flange.this judder occurs especially when the engine is warming up( let say first 5 miles)and again when I drive in "stop and go " traffic after fast highway driving.Car was check up and everything looks "robust" all bushings .joints are ok ! no free play.Is anybody has the same problem and what to do-PLEASE !!!
p.s
recently took to the dealer they programm EGS and DME ,cheked ATF level -did not helped ! Any sugestion ?
daniel 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
LJunderdog
AF Newbie

Re: 323 i 1999 automatic transmission problem

i tend to notice that the car tends to "jolt" a bit downshifting, in particular when i am not driving so fast. say accelerating to 25 mph and rolling to a stop sign, i will feel the downshift. i do not consider it a very serious jolt, but certainly something that i do feel. i recently had the dealership run a test on the transmission as it gave me problems in the cold and was told nothing was wrong with it. i have a 1999 323i with 44,000 miles on it. if you are getting the same issue, i wouldnt worry about it.
LJunderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
daniel 61
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 323 i 1999 automatic transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJunderdog
i tend to notice that the car tends to "jolt" a bit downshifting, in particular when i am not driving so fast. say accelerating to 25 mph and rolling to a stop sign, i will feel the downshift. i do not consider it a very serious jolt, but certainly something that i do feel. i recently had the dealership run a test on the transmission as it gave me problems in the cold and was told nothing was wrong with it. i have a 1999 323i with 44,000 miles on it. if you are getting the same issue, i wouldnt worry about it.
Thanks for sharing this info with me , I have definitely the same problem,I`m wondering when you shift from parking to drive or reverse to drive do you expirience kind of jerk or kick I do not know how can I call it.When I left my car with a dealer for a service they gave me a loaner 320 i 2005 with 3000 miles on it ( NEW ONE ),when I changed from parking to drive on this new one or reverse to drive there was no any jerk, does it mean that they are starting do it with some milage driven and what it cause ? any idea ? Regards Daniel.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
LJunderdog
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 323 i 1999 automatic transmission problem

I agree, the biggest jerk is when you go drive to reverse. I have had my trans looked at and there is nothing there. I also notice that after I bring it in, it tends to go away for a bit.

Since we are talking about transmissions, does your car need to heat up 10 - 15 minutes on real cold days. This morning it happened for just the second time, both times it was real cold, under 10 degrees.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
daniel 61
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 323 i 1999 automatic transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJunderdog
I agree, the biggest jerk is when you go drive to reverse. I have had my trans looked at and there is nothing there. I also notice that after I bring it in, it tends to go away for a bit.

Since we are talking about transmissions, does your car need to heat up 10 - 15 minutes on real cold days. This morning it happened for just the second time, both times it was real cold, under 10 degrees.
So what exactly happend ? in the morning ,when you started the car and moved from P to R your car did not moved in reverse gear or engine shut down ? I do not want freak you out, but few years ago I owned mercedes 190 E 1993, I started noticing ,that some time even I put transmission in drive position car did not moved as I press gas pedal kind of like car still was in park position,after a while it started happening more often. One day I was going to pick up my wife, I stoped on red light,when light changed to green Ipushed gas pedal and car did not go. Transmission has gone , it cost me 2500 $ on 8 years old Benz !, if you have symptoms like that better get rid of this car A.S.A.P , THAT just begining of the end of your tranny , it cost to repair at least 5000 $ for this car . Good luck and let me now exact symptoms . Daniel
Old 01-31-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
LJunderdog
AF Newbie

i had them run a check on my transmission. i think it is what you said earlier, that the fluids need to be changed. i am close to my 50,000 mile inspection, i will have it done then.

thanks
LJ
Old 04-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
vpellerin
AF Newbie

Unhappy 323 i 1999 Transmission problem

My husband has a 1999 323i at around 65k miles. It was hesitating, espeically if you took it right on the road without letting it warm up for several minutes. We took it in to the dealer and found out it needs a new transmission.
vpellerin is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series