Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
rubix777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rubix777
Hey, what's up.

Hey guys. I'm 24 and just got my M permit on Saturday. I'm having a 04 Kawasaki Ninja 250R delivered to my house tonight, which I bought for $2600 cash. It has 1300 miles and I will be the 4th owner.

I'll be hanging out in here a lot more now.
rubix777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:43 AM   #2
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

Re: Hey, what's up.

welcome to our little paradise. post up some pics of your bike when you get some time.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix777
Hey guys. I'm 24 and just got my M permit on Saturday. I'm having a 04 Kawasaki Ninja 250R delivered to my house tonight, which I bought for $2600 cash. It has 1300 miles and I will be the 4th owner.
So each previous owner averaged only 433 miles before selling the bike?

Any reason why they got such little use out of it? Too small, and they grew out of it quickly?
Still, it sounds like a great beginner bike.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:28 AM   #4
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

or maybe they disconnected the speedo like i always do.

or like my honda, i had my HISS light melt through my speedo. Honda replaced it under warranty and i had zero k's again. (was at 5000km)
Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, Honda instrumentation plastic is crap. I also have a corner of the tach reading melted off.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
rubix777
AF Enthusiast

Here's my bike.

I haven't washed it yet so it's a little dusty.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

nice, clean! like the rims.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
rubix777
AF Enthusiast

I was tackling some turns on some mountain roads I have by my house and my bike felt kind of weak on the turns. I was thinking my eclipse could take the turns faster. I noticed that the tread on stock tires do not extend all the way to the sides of the tire like other sports bikes. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from the 250R.

I was practicing downshifting before a turn as well and accidentally used rear brake and released the clutch. It caused the back to wiggle a bit since I had gas and brake on the rear wheel, but luckily the wiggle stopped before I entered the turn.

How fast would you guys normally take a hairpin turn?

Another thing I noticed is I can never trigger the stop light for left turns. It just doesn't detect me. Are you guys able to trigger the stop light or do you just wait for a car to come?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #9
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

That bike should be able to carve a corner as well or better than anything. Do you let it fall over into the curve, countersteer, and look through the curve where you want to go, apexing the line, or are you trying to steer through it?

Makes a huge difference.

They make large magnets you put on the underside of the bike to increase your presence to the (magnetic field) sensors under the pavement at lights. I don't know if they really work or not..
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:39 AM   #10
rubix777
AF Enthusiast

I think maybe it's because I'm too scared to lean even more into the turns. I guess I have to work on leaning more without feeling like my knees will scrape the floor like when they race.

During one turn, I accelerated a little coming out the turn and the the back hopped. I usually close the throttle before the turn and accelerate after completing it.

I know during hard cornering in a car you can feel when traction is about to break loose and the tires start screaming. On your bike are you able to feel/hear that or does it just suddenly break loose?

I have a hilly area near my house that I can probably take some times to know if I really am going faster than in my car. There are some hair pin turns I can work on. For some reason turns feel a lot slower in a bike than in a car.

Last edited by rubix777; 11-03-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:20 AM   #11
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix777
I think maybe it's because I'm too scared to lean even more into the turns. I guess I have to work on leaning more without feeling like I'm going to do a lowside.

I know during hard cornering in a car you can feel when traction is about to break loose and the tires start screaming. On your bike are you able to feel/hear that or does it just suddenly break loose?

Since I don't accelerate through the turn, I think that may be a reason why I feel the back drifting out a little and wiggling.

I've never broken traction while leaned over (unless there was something unexpected on the road). You aren't going to lowside on good pavement and mortal speeds.

What I mean by countersteering is, for a bike to truly tear a curve up, the bike wants to fall over into the turn, tighter and tighter, and the steering is used to counteract that and keep it on the line you want to run. So you are actually ateering slightly OPPOSITE of the direction of the turn, if you are doing it right.

One of the guys who sport rides can probably describe it better, but it's the same thing you always did on your bicycle at higher speeds, but probably never thought about it.

But to really carve up curves, you have to get comfortable with banking and countering, then it all comes together, and becomes more like flying than riding....

Decellerating once into a turn tend to make the bike want to stand up and counter your lean, which can mess you up...so pick your entry speed well and stick with it, and accelerate out after the apex, and you get a nice bite on the road, and a bit of a slingshot effect as your tire rolls back onto the tread face, which has a larger diameter than the side you were rolling on while leaned over...so in effect you change final ratio slightly as the bike stands up, which you feel as a kind of rush as it stands up....

If you get leaned over and realize you are too hot into the turn, stand up and go diagonal as much as possible across the curve in a straight line, braking hard, then get off the brakes once you knock speed off, and dive back into it hard....using brakes hard and suddenly in a lean is what's gonna spill you if you get panic going and grab brakes hard.

Upright you can brake hard as you want and gain some control and then dive over hard, at much slower speed now, and even if you took it all the way to the edge of the pavement straight line braking, you now can just drop over hard and recover before running off...where before you would have run wide at high speed, or locked a wheel when you grabbed the brakes and lowsided....
Old 11-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #12
rubix777
AF Enthusiast

I thought this clip was kinda cool. Maybe I'll be able to do that some day...

http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1125311151/Driving_Test
Old 11-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I saw that one a while back...very cool.

http://www.spodefest.net/download/c_pfeiffer_03.wmv

Ever watch Christian Pfieffer? Amazing.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #14
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

http://www.biked-boys.livenet.pl/dow...2_hayabusa.wmv

And for pure 500 hp, 200+ mph wheelie insanity....
Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #15
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Here it is...this is the shit here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH8gZ4r3yRI

Don't get any ideas. None of us will ever be this good (or lucky)

Listen to that boost...see it slip sideways everytime he even blips the throttle? Nuckin' Futs, man!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes