Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
AF Regular

The Damn Brakes!

I just did my first brake pad replacement so I didn't know exactly what I was doing at first.

I took my Z out for a drive around the neighborhood because I was having trouble getting any pressure to the brakes, and I seemed to fix that problem, but now i realized white smoke was coming from the brake that was having trouble. The rotor was SUPER hot, like sizzling. Does this mean that the brake is constantly rubbing against the rotor or something? GAH! This teaches me to ever act like I know shit about shit again.

Anyone, can you help me out? I took everything apart again and on the left front side (the brake with the problem), the pad on the outside of the rotor seemed to be worn much more than the other side. HELP PLEASE some of you guys are the most Z savvy I have seen so you gotta be able to help an idiot like myself.
123212321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Re: The Damn Brakes!

www.carfiche.com download the FSM for whatever z you have and read the detailed description on how to do it... also pick up a haynes manual from the nearest autoparts store... make sure you know what you're getting into before you do it
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

I had a similar problem with my 240SX but it was with the E-brake system. What had happened was the brake piston had gotten pushed too far out of the caliper and jammed against the rotor. Sounds like you're having a similar problem with the piston getting pushed too far out and not retracting.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
jd-autotech
AF Regular

e-brake if your talking rear brakes, caliper of caliper hose if your talking front brake, no big deal it happens to the best of us. dont let this discourage you. its good to get out there and work on your own stuff and save money but you have to earn your savings in labor
jd-autotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
AF Regular

So how do you suggest I fix this?

Do you think that over-tightening the 4 bolts that connect the two caliper peices would have anything to do with this?

If it is the "caliper hose", what is that, and how do i fix it! haha

Thanks
Old 07-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #6
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123212321
So how do you suggest I fix this?

Do you think that over-tightening the 4 bolts that connect the two caliper peices would have anything to do with this?

If it is the "caliper hose", what is that, and how do i fix it! haha

Thanks
I would think that the "caliper hose" refers to the short rubber brake line that runs from the caliper to the metal hardline on the body.

And here is where a factory service manual pays off.

Why did you take the caliper apart? It says, in bold letters with a nice "CAUTION" preceeding it, do not touch the four bolts holding the caliper together. Is that your problem? I don't know, I've never taken one apart to see how much adjustablity there is. I would think that if this is related to your problem the best solution to get a rebuilt caliper and replace the problematic one.

I'm not trying to be an ass but unless you are going to get one of the handy books full of instructions on how to do things like this, I would not recommend doing anything else. All of these procedures that are very difficult to perform unaided are laughably simple and easy with a set of instructions available.

http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi

Old 07-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
AF Regular

Dude, lesson learned - I appreciate the scolding and will ALWAYS know what I'm getting into before I do it from now on. I understand it must be frustrating to hear about idiots like me fucking their cars up. But moving on . . .

Is anyone familiar with a caliper rebuild kit, or can try to find a write up on it for me? Unscrewing those screws created a leak in the caliper, and the smoke was burning fluid. I was told that with a rebuild kit, I can fix the existing caliper without having to buy a new one? Thanks for putting up with me!

Last edited by 123212321; 07-21-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

A caliper rebuild kit usually contains only the parts needed to replace the dust seals around the pistons.

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...967.170.52.253

Like it said in the picture from the manual, if there is any fluid leaking from the caliper joints then replace the caliper. Again, I've never taken one apart but would imagine there is some sort of one time seal where the fluid passages meet between the two halves. Honestly since I like take things apart if I had a bad caliper that was leaking that I was faced with replacing anyway I would open it back up and figure out how the caliper is sealed. Maybe there is something you can do, a small metal o-ring that seals the fluid passage that got moved or lost. But thats me.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
AF Regular

Okay - I imagine that replacing the caliper is just a matter of:

-Disconnecting the brake line
-Taking the old one off using the RIGHT bolts
-Putting the new one on
-Reconnecting the brake line and switching out pads
-Bleeding

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)