Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
gkendall
AF Newbie

Air shock problem

Hi, New member! Got a problem . Have a 98 Olds Silhouette van,replaced the rear air shocks with monroe ma824 air shocks. Also replaced the sensor arm.
All went great,but I have not heard the compressor run to pump up the shocks. What can the problem be? Read all of the inputs to the forum,and could not find a problem ,as this. The original sensor arm was broken,got a
replacement from dealer.
I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks ,gil
gkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
gls02
AF Regular

Re: Air shock problem

Maybe someone pulled a fuse since the sensor arm was broken and they didn't want the air compressor to run. Check the ELC/Trailor fuse or the PWR QTR Vent fuse. In the rear left side panel should be a switch under the panel cover for the air inflator. If you have that option, turn on the inflator switch and see if the pump works. The air pump will activate for about 4 sec. everytime you start the car or turn the ignition key to the "run" position just to pump up the shocks some.

I have to replace my air shocks because one is leaking. I am going to go with the Monroe's MA824 that you used. How did the air lines come off of the old air shocks? The manual states to turn the clip 90 degrees and pull off the connector, is that what you did? By looking at the new shock vs. the old origionals do they look about the same size?

Thanks, let me know if you have another question. Good Luck
gls02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
gkendall
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Air shock problem

gls02,

Hi,
Thanks for the response,yes I checked the ELC fuse,that was ok,the other fuse PWR QTR Vent fuse ,no but will in the AM. Did not know about that fuse.
Where is that located?same location as the ELC fuse. The rear air pump does work, when I push the on switch,it does not run ,too fill the air shocks.
The shocks look filled,but I am not sure.Both of the original shocks were leaking after 67k miles,the van was purchasted new in 98.The replacedment
shocks ,a friend did the work,but I thing that he said that they were a easy
pair of shocks to replace.The new shocks looked a bit smaller at the top.
But will check that PWR QTR Vent fuse ,sunday
Thanks for your reply,will let you know the results.
gil
Old 04-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
gls02
AF Regular

The QRT windows fuse is in the same location at the ELC/Trailer. Looks like they are under the hood location. Looks like 8 fuses in a straight row. The book shows numer 4 as the ELC and number 8 as the Pwr Qtr fuse. No. 4 is Batt main 60A and No. 8 is Ign main 60 A. I don't believe that this is your problem since thise fuses control a lot of other things that you would notice aren't working.

You stated that the inflator in the rear compartment works when you push the switch? That's a good sign, sounds like a bad connection somewhere.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
gls02
AF Regular

Gkendall. Those fuses in my previous post are the main ones under the hood of the car that feed the ELC and Pwr Qtr fuses. The fusebox in the instrument panel has the circuts for the ELC 25 Amp and the Pwr Qtr fuse is a 10 Amp fuse. Again my knowledge of these systems is very limited.

Good Luck.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
Glen_T
AF Regular

My 2003 air leveling system has a self-diagnosis function. Hold the button in for 3 seconds, and then release. The system will pump the shocks up all the way, then release, then flash codes (like the older computer codes that flash, pause, flash, etc). Takes about 2 minutes. Code 12 means everything is okay. Try that and post back what the code is, and I'll interpret...Good luck...glen
Glen_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
gkendall
AF Newbie

Glen
Hold what button . I have a 98 Old Silhouette van,and I don't know about
any buttons,go slow and help this old f--t.
I'll try but,need a little more help.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
Glen_T
AF Regular

Sorry. Hold in the button for the air compressor - the one where you turn it on to pump up balls, tires, etc. I seem to recall you hold it for 3 seconds - it turns on, then turns off, then starts up and pumps the shocks up.....be patient....it is about 30 seconds between when you release the button after 3 seconds to when it starts pumping up the shocks, and I think it takes quite a bit of time. When it is done it should release the pressure in the shock, then flash the codes. To cancel at anytime or at the end, I believe you push the button again....good luck, glen
Old 04-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
gkendall
AF Newbie

Status report.
To gls02---- Checkek out both fuses-ELC and PWR otr vent,and also IGN 1,
all was ok.

To Glen----Performed the button test per your instructions .nothing , got no
flash codes,but found that I was getting very little or almost no air from valve stem,with air compressor ON. I guess that is a indication of a bad
compressor,or other problem. Nothing easy.

Thank you both for your time

gil
Old 04-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Glen_T
AF Regular

Did it do anything? I tried it on mine, and it worked as follows: I held it in for 3 seconds - the compressor came on then went off after about 3 seconds or so. I think it was more than 3 seconds, but I held it in until the compressor went off. I then waited about 30-45 seconds and the compressor came back on. It pumped the car completely up, then it hissed as it let out air. About that time the light on the button flashed blink-pause-blink-blink, then repeated. (i.e. Code 12).

I'd say that if the compressor doesn't go off after about 3-5 seconds, then maybe the 98's didn't have a self diagnosis, or they changed the way you access the codes.

Before you assume the compressor is bad, I'd check to make sure the lines are not loose or deteriorated. I think you can access the pump from below.

I guess one way to check the function would be to turn the ignition on, disconnect the sensor arm, then make it think the van is lower than it should be. If you can make the compressor turn on when the arm indicates a low body and off when you move it up, maybe that would indicate the controls are all are okay, and that the pump just isn't providing air. There isn't a lot to it - when the air compressor has power from the ignition, it just looks at the sensor arm and either turns on the air compressor, or opens the relief valve to get to the right level. I think there is a slight delay so it isn't trying to adjust the high too often, but I have noticed it come on when on a slight incline at a long light.

I know on my 2003 that when I bought it, I found one of the lines from the air compressor had come loose. It was a little spring loaded thing that if you twisted it, if came off pretty easy. You might see if you can trace the path of the pressurized air and make sure nothing is loose and leaking.....

Hope this helps....many people dislike this system, but I like it - the van stays level no matter what the load, and I like having the air compressor to pump things up.....take care, glen
Old 04-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
gls02
AF Regular

Glen T. What light on what button are you refering too. I have a 2002 Silhouette and I don't believe that I have this function. No where in the FSM does it state a self diagnostic feature. Is this the on/off button in the back that turns on the air inflator?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
Glen_T
AF Regular

Interesting...my 2003 factory manual (2 book volume) details the diagnosis routine. Yes, this is the on/off switch back on the compressor near the rear seat. My air compressor switch had a yellow LED on it that comes on when the compressor is running, and also flashes codes when you're in the diagnostic mode.......I had assumed that Pontiac and Olds used the same systems, but I may be wrong. Or, they changed it from 2002 to 2003? Not sure.....does yours also have a 12V plug back there as well?

Sorry for the confusion if the systems are different....Glen
Old 04-24-2006, 08:31 AM   #13
gls02
AF Regular

Glen T. I just checked my 2002 Silhouette air inflator system and it is different than yours. I have the power outlet in the back, on/off switch and hose connector. I don't have the LED light. Sounds like a nice set-up that you have, wish I had it.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #14
Glen_T
AF Regular

Well, I guess you don't need the LED unless there is a problem! Glen
Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
hokie91
AF Newbie

I have this same issue... here is my problem... retaining nut on the sensor for the self lever came off... so had to get a whole new sensor.... Got sensor form gmdirectauto parts for $160 vs 250 from the dealer. Anyway... wife took car down road to a auto place and they just replaced the sensor. Now compressor does not work. I have the led, but it does not light, does not run at all. I checked the power outlet next to compressor.. it is good. The power vent windows work. I looked at the 3 fuses.. they all look ok.. obviously not an expert here. I am wondering if the sensor is mis installed... arm going the wrong way.

Any suggestions? Very frustrating you know.

Thanks.
hokie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette