Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Masonovsky!
AF Regular

Exclamation Cannonball Bike?

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen. I have a question that's been killing me and I need some help putting it to rest. I right now have a CBR600RR. It's a great bike, however I am getting bored with it slowly and am looking for bigger and badder bikes. Also I am hoping to enter some kind of Cannonball Run or across America rally of some sort with my buddy who has a 2004 RC51, and don't know what I should get. I want something that can haul ass on the highway, is nimble, but comfortable enough to make such a trek. I think that a Yamaha FZ-1 would be a good candidate, R1 powerplant, good riding position, pretty light for a "sport touring" bike, and looks gnarly imo. Help me out AFers...

Masonvsky..

2006 Suzuki SV650S with Akrapovic Pipe...more mods to come...
Who Steals A Katana??! Seriously!!?

by jeffcoslacker
Quote:
Complacency and cockiness is what gets you killed. Not CC's, you're right there...kinda like saying you're less likely to kill yourself with a .22 than a .45....technically, maybe, but not if you're determined to kill yourself...
Masonovsky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

Re: Cannonball Bike?

if you can ride the CBR600RR long distance then go for any litre bike that feels comfy. if you can't then go for the busa, CBR1100XX or ZX12/14.

the yamaha is a litre naked bike (down here it is anyway so i'll assume its the same)
good ride position for long distance but not for high speed.
my old man has a z750 and it sucks at high speed. awesome bike around town and comfy on the freeway.

i know my 954 is a pain in tha ass long distance. corners ok but long straights are bad umkay.

i'd go the CBR1100XX Blackbird as its been around for ages, cheap now compared to competition and has the grunt to get up and boogie when required with good wind protection. not bad on corners either. its no GSXR1000 or R1 but certainly has its good points as a tourer

Last edited by aussieidiot; 11-28-2006 at 07:59 PM.
aussieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

I agree with Aussie, the Honda Blackbird and the Kaw ZX11/12 have a great balance of power and all day comfort. The Honda VRF800/750 is another all day comfy/nimble choice, but lacks the litre class bikes top-end power.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
Masonovsky!
AF Regular

I'm looking at the Blackbird and I like it so far...140hp is a good number but not a 175hp hayabusa obviously but I have mods in mind with the saved money I will have...any other suggestions? I think that the hayabusa is too large of a jump for me, otherwise I would be game, especially since I'm only 5'9"....

by jeffcoslacker
Quote:
Complacency and cockiness is what gets you killed. Not CC's, you're right there...kinda like saying you're less likely to kill yourself with a .22 than a .45....technically, maybe, but not if you're determined to kill yourself...
Old 11-30-2006, 12:33 AM   #5
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

how about second hand?

ZX9 would be about right or a yamaha YZF1000 (not sure if thats right in the US. it is the bike that the R1 replaced)

ZX9 was up to '03 and the Yam was up to 2000. both big bikes with large fairings for cruising rather than scraping. both capable of sports riding.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Masonovsky!
AF Regular

i've been looking at alot of ZX9Rs, I think I'm going to wait some until I can buy a newer bike because alot of the ones mentioned have been hated on....but I'll keep ya'll posted...

by jeffcoslacker
Quote:

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes