Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 02:06 AM   #16
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Moss1O6GTi

Well- I saw it on the Sedan- and thought the same would apply for the ute- musta been wrong- My mate has a VU 'S' ute- so I guess I'll have a look
Orrite mate

Yours was an honest mistake. And apologies for the 'bullshit' remark - that was uncalled for :right:
Thunda Downunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:16 AM   #17
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
Quote:
Originally posted by Thunda Downunda

Orrite mate

Yours was an honest mistake. And apologies for the 'bullshit' remark - that was uncalled for :right:
No worries- as you pointed ot it was a fair- if wrong conclusion to draw..........

So yeah.......No worries
Ssom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 03:07 AM   #18
cruisey
AF Enthusiast

an expert where! i cant see one

Well Bugger me! i was wrong!

did i say that i was an expert somewhere! like i sure dont remember telling anyone that i was.

ok i dont care where the fuel filler is or where the tank may be placed, i dont care the yanks think we make crap cars. but i bet there arse our cars are much better than theirs in quality and all! even our trusty commodore and falcons!
cruisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 05:15 PM   #19
replicant_008
AF Enthusiast

Just a thought...

When cars are designed the engineers/designers/stylists tend to have their home market requirements in mind (even if they do build a world car ie for all markets) - this is natural because that's the conditions they drive.

For instance, in the US you tend to get larger, FWD cars with what we would consider floaty rides and mushy handling. If you've driven the interstate between LA and Las Vegas you'll soon understand why - the freeway is paved as large slabs of concrete and is straight as a die for the greater part of the journey. The speed limit of 55mph (at least it was when I drove it) is heavily policed so ride comfort esp over the constant joins in the large slabs is more important that handling and gasoline is cheap as chips so why worry about mpg?

Go to France and drive around Paris, down the autoroutes and the rural link roads and you can understand why they prefer small, well-handling cars with great brakes and razor sharp turn in. And when gasoline is about twice to three times what it is in Australia you can understand why they go for turbo-diesels or very efficient little fours.

Then you cross the border into Allemagne (Germany) and crush distance on the Autobahns - the cars here are designed to drive all day @ speeds where your peripheral vision is blurred with the speed on smooth bitumen. That's why your average Merc is a solid in the body as a rock and why it's handling is precise (and also why it's a wee bit vague just on centre with the steering than what you and I are used to for high speed stability)...

Which bring us to Australian cars which are strong, roomy but lean a little more towards handling these days that they did in the past... but tend to be developed on a relative shoestring but are value for money because of it...
replicant_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:41 AM   #20
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
Quote:
Originally posted by replicant_008
Just a thought...

When cars are designed the engineers/designers/stylists tend to have their home market requirements in mind (even if they do build a world car ie for all markets) - this is natural because that's the conditions they drive.

For instance, in the US you tend to get larger, FWD cars with what we would consider floaty rides and mushy handling. If you've driven the interstate between LA and Las Vegas you'll soon understand why - the freeway is paved as large slabs of concrete and is straight as a die for the greater part of the journey. The speed limit of 55mph (at least it was when I drove it) is heavily policed so ride comfort esp over the constant joins in the large slabs is more important that handling and gasoline is cheap as chips so why worry about mpg?

Well true for the interstate I guess- but my experience on the LA freeway in September was that that it is possibly one of the world worst roads- it is rough as guts and constantly gridlocked
Ssom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 09:33 PM   #21
replicant_008
AF Enthusiast

That's my point Moss - Can you imagine driving around in a tightly suspended Pug 206 for 3 hours each way to work - it would drive you nuts... not to mention worried by the size of the average pickup truck in LA!

On the other hand a softly sprung cadillac with FWD, auto and air would be fantastic for their conditions. And that's why the end up with cars like that.

I used to drive lots of twisty roads @ night through the backblocks of the Waikato to go skiing usually with only one companion. As a result I've had small 2 door, well-handling cars, with directional tyres, with relatively large but efficient engines and big brakes. And now I have to lug around my parents who can no longer drive I went for a roomy, four door four seater in my Mondy...
replicant_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:14 PM   #22
tntcorvette
AF Newbie

Brian,

I hope you do not rip anybody off like you did at your failed Corvette shop in the Chicago suburbs.

You are definetly a class A crook.
tntcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:54 AM   #23
-Davo
Banned

Re: an expert where! i cant see one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisey
Well Bugger me! i was wrong!
Chuck a yewie mate back to the fridge and cracker open a nice coldie.

Fair Dinkum, we aussies are never wrong!
-Davo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > General Discussion