Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
cherrybomb
AF Newbie

Need Help - Advise

I have a 2001 Venture (with 100K).

When changing plugs I did notice some coolant weeping from the lower intake manifold to the outside of the block, I have heard all about all the issues with gaskets (intake and head) and was unsure of my best next step....
Coolant leak appears to be small and I really haven't needed to add much to the overflow (just topped off the overflow during regular checks). Everything else (engine temp, heating, etc.) seems normal. I had wanted to flush the system (was going to try getting rid of the Dexcool and go with regular green antifreeze) but now that I see this weeping, I think even flushing it might make it worse.
The system is theoretically in bad need of a flush (4yrs/100k miles) yet I have not noticed any sludging or such yet (can't really tell on the inside tho).
I was thinking of possibly adding 'barsleak' or some similar radiator leak sealant, but don't want to screw up the whole system either. What would you guys reccomend??? If I do add a leak sealant, what kind is best? should I add it first and drive a bit and THEN flush (then dexcool or green?), or should I flush and then add leak sealant? No flush, no sealant better??

HELP!!!

ALSO, as if this is not enough.....

SES codes scanned are p0341 and p1189.
I think they are 'cam position sensor' and 'oil pressure switch' (please confirm.... or correct me if I am wrong)

Just did a full tune up (everything - oil, plugs, wires, fuel + air filt, pcv, even a new battery), and I was 'hoping' the codes would not reappear.
My wife just called and the SES light is back on, will have to scan again but I'm assuming it is the same issue.....
Any advise on these codes???? I would think that if they were serious the should throw a 'check engine' not a 'service soon' light....
As far as I know they 'sound' very bad (could affect timing and not show low oil pressure?)

Can someone educate me????
cherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
gls02
AF Regular

Re: Need Help - Advise

You are correct about the codes. As far as adding stop leak, I wouldn't. It your leak is external and is very small like you are saying, I would just change the coolant and run the vehicle until the leak got worse or it gets into the oil. The leak might not get any worse so why spend the money? Your vehicle is over 100K miles and chances are it will go 50K more. That's what I would do, but it's your vehicle. Good Luck.
gls02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need Help - Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb
I was thinking of possibly adding 'barsleak' or some similar radiator leak sealant, but don't want to screw up the whole system either.
You'd be putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound. It might stop the "bleeding" for a short period, but you haven't fixed the underlying problem. Plus it also may be leaking into the engine oil. The stop leak products are just a bad idea all the way around unless it's either not worth it financially to fix the problem or you have no other options.

Quote:
What would you guys reccomend??? If I do add a leak sealant, what kind is best? should I add it first and drive a bit and THEN flush (then dexcool or green?), or should I flush and then add leak sealant? No flush, no sealant better??
Figure out if it's the intake or head, then fix the problem. Stick with Dex-Cool (it's not the problem, the problem is the gasket(s). Or you can go with the newer coolant that's yellow and can work with either Dex-Cool or the green stuff.

Quote:
SES codes scanned are p0341 and p1189.
I think they are 'cam position sensor' and 'oil pressure switch' (please confirm.... or correct me if I am wrong)
Here is a list of all the OBD II codes. P0341 is Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance and P1189 is Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit. Since they are both circuit-type errors, you may look for broken wires or a bad connection. Other then that, I can't help you specifically on the errors. If you do a search for the PXXXX error codes here, you may find possible solutions in other forums. An error code is usually (but not always) generic and what fixes it on one car likely will work on others.

Quote:
I would think that if they were serious the should throw a 'check engine' not a 'service soon' light....
I beleive they are the one and the same type warning lights.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture