Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 10:42 PM   #1
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ
Can't win em all.

Yup...quick stoplight race tonight...got my ass kicked by a SS Camaro. I don't think it was stock. Nifty headlights...nice rims showing off a big brake kit...spotless car...sounded like it had an exhaust...who knows what else. Right next to him till my shift to second, then it got bloody.

This probably would have gone better if my boost controller worked right. As I'm sure some/most of you know, my dumb ass let the screw come out (of my manual boost controller) in my hand and didn't realize that the spring and little ball fell out, too until later. I recently bought a spring and slingshot ammo (replaced the little ball) and thought it would work right...well...it works better now. Better in the sense that it does SOMETHING now. My boost will spike to 9-10, then go back to the boost level of ~6 psi that it was running before I replaced the parts. Anyone have any ideas of what to do to remedy this problem, I'm all ears. Probably gunna get the Profec in a couple weeks...but I'd like to get better results out of my current setup for now.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Re: Can't win em all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlivetheZ
My boost will spike to 9-10, then go back to the boost level of ~6 psi that it was running before I replaced the parts. Anyone have any ideas of what to do to remedy this problem, I'm all ears.
Uh, yeah, don't do that. Boost spikes are really bad for all components involved.

Quote:
Probably gunna get the Profec in a couple weeks...but I'd like to get better results out of my current setup for now.
Why'd you buy the manual in the first place? Not trying to be a dick, just I can't understand why you would buy the current system if you were going to get something better anyway.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:16 PM   #3
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to kenwood guy

quick question how does a boost controller work and does it give you more horsepower????
kenwood guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:20 PM   #4
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Okay so apparently you know nothing of turbos.

Read up some of the stickies in the "Forced Induction" section of the "cars in General" Forum.

Anyway, basically a boost controller lets your turbos push more boost into your engine before the wastegates open. This makes more power. So if your car runs a stock 9 psi of boost, you can use a boost controller to set it at 13 psi, or 15 psi or whatever.

Old 09-18-2004, 11:26 PM   #5
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

thanx for the insult I have a general idea of how it works but it seems most stock cars with turbo dont have them thats why i was not sure
Old 09-18-2004, 11:40 PM   #6
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

You're welcome. But you are correct as most stock turbo systems are controlled via the ECU in the car. After market boost controllers are basically designed to over ride this control and let you tune the boost levels yourself. This is naturally handy when upgrading or just getting more out of a stock turbo system.

Old 09-18-2004, 11:42 PM   #7
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

what does your 1995 300ZX Twin Turbo run in the 1/4 mile??
Old 09-19-2004, 12:19 AM   #8
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

not trying to be mean or anything, but i noticed something, you have two turbos in your sig but don't know what a boost controller is? that just seemed funny to me. don't take offense.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 12:28 AM   #9
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

it's ok, he's a chevy guy.. i'm sure he's all about the big ass ridiculous blowers and huge displacement engines.. not trying to be prejudice or anything, that's just usually the way it is.. (my cousin owns a chevy, so i've got 1st hand experience)

as for broke's 1/4 mile? i'd say ummm.... well if you towed it out to the track right now, you might be able to push it in about... i dunno.. 3 or 4 min maybe?
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:53 AM   #10
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Can't win em all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerious93integra
as for broke's 1/4 mile? i'd say ummm.... well if you towed it out to the track right now, you might be able to push it in about... i dunno.. 3 or 4 min maybe?
Okay you know what? Screw you.

Punk

Anyway, I could probably do it in better time then that seeing as how the car is minus all the weight that used to be under the hood.

As for after the engine is back in, with some slicks on there some mid 10 second passes should be in order. Dead stock with a good driver can make the high 13s. A stage 3 (nothing more than an intake, exhaust and ECU upgrade) with a good driver should be able to break into 12s. However, Z32s don't really shine on the 1/4 mile but they will flat out rape other cars on a road course.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:32 AM   #11
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

ok, ok, assuming that you're not a stick, lets say.... a minute.... a quarter mile is pretty far just to run.. well, if you're as out of shape as i am
lol just playin man
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:12 AM   #12
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Senior year of highschool: 300lbs squat and a 12:15 2 mile run. Me and the car make it fine in under 3 mins, no problem

Old 09-19-2004, 11:30 PM   #13
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ

This thread got weird....fast....

I got the manual boost controller cuz I wanted to up the boost but didn't have the cash for the profec at the time....that doesn't make sense?

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:31 PM   #14
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Well not really. If you had just waited and saved the money instead of getting a manual you could have had the GReddy that much quicker...but thats me...

Old 09-20-2004, 12:14 AM   #15
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Can't win em all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonaleash1187
not trying to be mean or anything, but i noticed something, you have two turbos in your sig but don't know what a boost controller is? that just seemed funny to me. don't take offense.

im not sure if you if payed attention to the detalis of my question I said " Im not sure how it works" implying that I had some idea of its intent and pupose and the other guy supported my later response In which MOST cars (stock) dont have one to begin with and as far as me being a chevy guy.... I dont discriminate aganst any make or model I just like the fact that most of there cars and trucks are awesome and they have a rather rich history of past cars which will remain timeless for many years to come.. O and that blower thing.. yea there cool but I do like the theory of turbo charging and how it works more effective then a supercharger

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)