Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AMC/Rambler/Nash/IH > Rambler
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
hsbates
AF Newbie

Well I for one never thought that I would be joining a Rambler Club. Who would own a car like that. But when I saw the 1957 Rambler Cross Cuntry SW that I just bought that all changed.
I'm abut 3/4 of the way through a 48 Plymouth that I was building to drive from Calif. to Chicago on Route 66 after I retire next year.
When saw a ad for the Rambler. It was so cheep I had to go see it (but I wont buy it). I talk with the owner and looked at the car. He had run it out fo oil and the engine had locked up (so there was no way I wanted to do that much work). Well one thing led to another and I bought the car and had it hauled to my home. I'm already building the engine a 250 CuIn V8. and my wife is talking about wanting me to keep the Rambler and sell the Plymouth.
I'm already finding the ramblers are way harder to find parts for then the Ply. but I was able to get all of the engine parts (They do cost a lot also) I needed. I sohould be able to get it back togeather soon and drive it for the first time later this month (I hope). I wuould like to include photos of my car but I do not see how. Any coments are alway welcome. One one can give me a harder time then my buddy's went I told them what I had bought.
Thanks
Sheldon Bates
new owner of the Flying Pig
hsbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

Re: New member

Rambler's are addictive for sure. Nice thing tho is that with a little creativity, the engine bays are mighty accomodating in most years I've seen so far.

Plus, when you get em running, sounding and looking good, alot of people stop you and ask "what the hell is that", you tell them a Rambler/AMC and their stumped. So atleast you know you have something attention getting and it's not something seen every day. The Plymouth is a nice one too.

Parts, ahh, yes, parts. I couldn't move mine for a good8 months one time due to lack of brakes (failed wheel cylinder), sometimes you have to seriously improvise. Definatley not a car you go strolling into Autozone or Napa and expect to find what you're looking for. You need to hit up the good old greasy parts stores (whatever few are left) and alot of web searching.

You can use a hoster like Imageshack for picture uplaoding.
wrightz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
hsbates
AF Newbie

Cool Re: New member

Well as always things did not go as planed. I got the engine back in the car and tried to start it and found that the starter would miss like i had teath missing off the ring gear. I quit at that point nad did not work on the PIG for a week. When I did go back and check I found the the ring gear was OK but the bendex was slipping in the starter. Then I found that I could not get the top bolt out of the starter without pulling the exhaust manafold. And to thing I do this for fun!!?? I hope to have the starter back in this week end and hear the engine run for the first time.
Sheldon
The Flying Pig
57 Cross Country SW
hsbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

Re: New member

Well, if your still taking the trip on route 66 from CA to Berwyn hopefuly I'll have mine plated and insured by then.

Actually now the rubber grommet for the carb linkage dry rotted on me and is binding up the link, soooo..... I think it's time to call Lokar for a cable uprade.
wrightz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AMC/Rambler/Nash/IH > Rambler