Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:06 AM   #16
CD Smalley
AF Enthusiast

Re: 93 Astro V6 4.3L Sudden Problems please help

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Needs to be 9-13psi.

1991 W41 #142
1989 Caprice 9C1
1997 C1500
1997 Bonnie SE
1998 Olds 98 LS

Recently updated: http://forums.b-body.org

CD Smalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #17
astrodoomed
AF Newbie

94 & 92 astro, you might have a vaccuum leak take some carb cleaner or start fluid and spray around the base of the TB with engine running if it starts running better you will need a new base gasket and give the hoses a look, could try removing the pcm and clean the connections (thats how i got a code with mine, i had this problem for two months and wasn't getting anywhere, wasn't giving me a codethen one day i took it out and cleaned the terminals and it gave me a code 15) post back
astrodoomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #18
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Thanks for the response--I will try to get my hands on a pressure (fuel) gauge --The fuel pumps on these machines leave little to be desired but they traditionally either work or they don't--It is pumping fuel but I have no idea of the pressure without a gauge--I will get back to this thread and let ya know as this machine has been lights out since christmas.... I also have a base gasket from a TBI kit I purchased when I changed the injectors and will keep that in mind after I check fuel PSI...
94&92Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #19
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodoomed
ok problem is solved, 92& 94 astro listen up this will hopefully help you, cd smalley was correct it was the coolant temp sensor, it tells the pcm the engine is cold and the pcm gives the engine more gas but if the cts stays at a low reading then it will continue to flood the engine and it will be hesitant spit sputter black smooke and soot, thanks again everyone and especially cd smalley
Problem solved--FYI--It turned out to be the small rubber fuel line inside of the fuel pump assembly---it connects the fuel pump to the outgoig line--It had the consistensy of chewed bubble gum and blew a small hole out and the rest is history...
Old 01-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #20
CD Smalley
AF Enthusiast

Oh my... Tell me you replaced the pump and the screen while you were in there....

1991 W41 #142
1989 Caprice 9C1
1997 C1500
1997 Bonnie SE
1998 Olds 98 LS

Recently updated: http://forums.b-body.org

CD Smalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #21
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD Smalley
Oh my... Tell me you replaced the pump and the screen while you were in there....
10-4 Mr Smalley--I bought a new carter replacement pump kit--which included the filter screen and tubing--This low pressure pump is very reasonable ($48 new) and although I am not a mechanic by trade, I own 4 Astro/Safari Vans so you can imagine I am a fuel pump exchange expert--They went out on my 94 twice-92 once--97 once and still holding my breath on my 02. I worked on this mystery problem for about three weeks before I by chance noticed bubbles in the fuel line while I was testing pressure... Anyway big relief and I hope my post gives some poor puzzled shadetree at least one new direction to check.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies