Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > NASCAR
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
Dreamspawn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dreamspawn Send a message via MSN to Dreamspawn
Car of Yesterday to race next year!

Taken from Jayski.com

Car of Tomorrow [COT] announcement: NASCAR announced the Car of Tomorrow will begin competition in 2007. Teams will use the newly-designed race car for 16 events next season, beginning with the spring race at Bristol Motor Speedway – currently the fifth event on the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series schedule. A five-year project overseen by NASCAR Vice President for Research and Development Gary Nelson, the Car of Tomorrow offers important safety and performance upgrades. It also addresses cost reduction, providing teams with a more efficient car to produce and tune. “The Car of Tomorrow represents one of the sport’s most significant innovations, and we feel everyone involved in NASCAR will experience the benefits,” said NASCAR President Mike Helton. “No subject is more important than safety, and while the Car of Tomorrow was built around safety considerations, the competition and cost improvements will prove vital as well.”
Aside from Bristol events, teams will use the Car of Tomorrow in 2007 events at Phoenix, Martinsville, Richmond, Dover, New Hampshire, Darlington, Talladega [the fall race and last restrictor plate race of the season] and road-course events at Infineon Raceway and Watkins Glen.
The 2008 Car of Tomorrow implementation schedule includes 26 events – adding both races at Daytona, California, Pocono, Michigan, the spring event at Talladega and Indianapolis. Teams will run the entire 2009 schedule with the Car of Tomorrow, adding both events at Atlanta, Lowe’s Motor Speedway and Texas, plus events at Chicagoland, Kansas, Las Vegas and Homestead. The rollout schedule could be sooner.
“All of our engineering staff and each of the teams and manufacturers that contributed will now be able see the product of their hard work in competition,” Nelson said. “Many of the obvious safety and competition benefits have been a topic since the beginning of this project. We think one of the major benefits is yet to be realized as the car owners begin to build a more cost-efficient race car.”
The next round of Car of Tomorrow on-track testing will be scheduled following Speedweeks in Daytona, with officials from the NASCAR Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C., refining car components and performance baselines. The Car of Tomorrow is a collaborative effort, with Nelson’s team leading the way. Manufacturers, teams and industry suppliers all contributed during the design phase, with NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series teams and drivers offering important feedback during the latest round of on-track testing. NASCAR’s prototype car, built by the Research and Development staff, is driven by Director of Cost Research Brett Bodine, a former NASCAR NEXTEL Cup competitor and team owner. The Car of Tomorrow began as a design five years ago, progressing through simulation, laboratory and wind tunnel tests. Of primary significance are the safety innovations: the Car of Tomorrow is four inches wider and two inches taller than current NASCAR race cars. The driver compartment, or “roll cage,” has been shifted three inches to the rear. The driver’s seat has been shifted four inches to the right, allowing more protection from a driver’s side impact. More “crush-ability” is built into the car on both sides, ensuring even more protection.
The Car of Tomorrow exhaust system is another safety innovation. It runs through the body, diverting heat away from the driver and exiting on the right side. Another important Car of Tomorrow feature is performance – how the car handles in traffic and reacts to downforce. The project represents the latest move by NASCAR to reduce current cars’ aerodynamic dependence, and several innovations have addressed it:
• The windshield is more upright, designed to increase the amount of drag, thereby slowing the cars.
• The more box-like front bumper, which is three inches higher and thicker, catches air rather than deflecting it, another way to slow the car.
• The air intake is below the front bumper, which eliminates the problem of overheating. Wind-blown trash can cover current car grilles, blocking air flow.
Several components – both those built into the Car of Tomorrow and those being tested – will make the car easier to drive in traffic. Some of those components also are bolt-on, bolt-off pieces that teams can use to tune their cars, making them cost-efficient as well. Those include:
• The “splitter,” a flat shelf below the front bumper that can be adjusted.
• A wing, like those commonly used in sports car series, also is a possibility. It fits on the car’s rear deck lid, in the same spot where the spoiler is bolted.
• The spoiler, a NASCAR staple, is a straight line on the Car of Tomorrow, rather than curved, as on current cars. A straight spoiler yields more stability in traffic.
“We designed this car to run for a long time, at road courses, short tracks, intermediate-sized tracks all the way to Daytona,” Nelson said. “You would be able to run the same foundation car, the frame, the cage, the body, all of the components that today are being swapped around as the cars are purpose-built for certain types of tracks. We're eliminating that with this car.”(NASCAR PR)(1-23-2006)
Old 01-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

Re: Car of Yesterday to race next year!

yeah you are right, that does seem more like the car of yesterday. i guess nascar is trying to get back to its roots. i dont think i like the idea though
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
BullShifter
AF Moderator

I think those cars are goofy looking.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

I don't think going to a more advanced more purpose built car is "going back to its roots"

The plan is that these changes will enable them to get rid of restrictor plates and possibly allow the cars to have more power. Therefore, the cars won't necessarily be slower.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
Dreamspawn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dreamspawn Send a message via MSN to Dreamspawn

i call it the car of yesterday because i agree they are trying to get rid of restictor plates and possibly go back to bigger engines. Personally i think they should go to more of the race on sunday buy on monday cars agian.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
I don't think going to a more advanced more purpose built car is "going back to its roots"

The plan is that these changes will enable them to get rid of restrictor plates and possibly allow the cars to have more power. Therefore, the cars won't necessarily be slower.
i understand what your saying, but its also kind of what i meant by saying that. guess i should have worded it differently, although the only thing getting more advance from how i interpreted it was the safety. seemed like everything else was going backwards. also now that ive thought about it more i like it more. after all nascar isnt about being on cutting edge technology like F1
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #7
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

NASCAR is too aero sensitive. This design should eliminate that and make them more intriguing to race, not to mention improve driver saftey.
Dead Or Dying Gas Eater
Department Of Defense Garbage Equipment
Dodge Owners Don't Get Excited
Don't Overdrive Gutless Engine
Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 V6
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2 V8 4X4
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > NASCAR