Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 10:33 PM   #16
chcknugget
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to chcknugget
Re: Re: how to stop binding AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedybear
Transfer case was serviced...flushed it out once...drove it around for a few...flushed it out a 2nd time to get anything missed the first time out. It's been doing great so far. The intermid. "Bucking" at 55-65mph under light accel has'ent returned yet. Also the "bucking" under accel from 25-45's pretty much gone. Given the fact I'm in upstate/central NY? We'll see how it holds up under all the snow we normally get.

S-
What fluid did you use? Was it that blue autotrack fluid from the dealer?
chcknugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:58 PM   #17
Tedybear
AF Newbie

Re: how to stop binding AWD

On the transfer case there will be a "tag" attached to it. In my case it was the auto-trac blue fluid. cleared things up rather well.

For the other posts with "binding" on turns? If you are hearing a "clicking" or "binding" on hard turns left or right? Very possible CV outer joint on one side or the other is bad. The click click click is very well known to mechanics.

S-
Tedybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:09 PM   #18
chcknugget
AF Enthusiast

I'm hoping it is the fluid, because that is something I can easily fix next week. It doesn't click, but it lurches and binds as if the wheels are supposed to slip but they don't at all when turning sharply. I hear cv joints look "wet" when they're shot.

btw, I'm from Rochester NY, lets hope this January isn't as bad as last year... Actually when it's icy out the AWD doesn't bind quite so bad because the wheels actually do slip like they should (because of poor traction) on the ice.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:28 PM   #19
Tedybear
AF Newbie

The only real thing about CV joints from "appearence" is if the boot that protects the joint is "torn" or "leaking" out it's grease...Normally the outer CV joints are the first to fail...and you'll hear a binding "click" type sounds, more pronounced during very tight corners.

With the Transfer case, from what the dealership told myself. When the "clutches" in the case start to 'bind' up they tend to grab and release rapidly.. In my case it was going in just about all stright directions..moderate accel.. At about 20mph-25mph it would start almost...let's say it felt like someone was grabbing all 4 brakes for a split second then releaseing all 4 brakes. Kinda like it was doing a very fast "lurch" and "retreat". At first I figured it was the trannie slipping, but the dealership told me it's a classic sign of the transfer case yelling for help. It was also doing it from time to time under light/moderate accel at 55-65mph as well...When it did it then? It felt extreamly "harsh". Thankfully I pull off the highway and let it 'cool' a bit. After a short rest it was back to normal? (at least for those speeds)

It's something a dealership with a decent tech (thankfully LaQua's 481 chevy dealership in Fulton has one) can quickly figure out.

On a side note? I had a front wheel bearing give out a couple of weeks ago. It started as a slight viberation which increased in severity quickly..and started to feel like a mini-jackhammer hitting the floor pan. Hope you do not have this issue, as the freaken part alone is listed at $975.00 for the part alone. (bearing is built into the awd front "hub" assy)

All Best

Steve

(and yes...I'm hopefull for a mild winter. Fulton got nailed with 2 storms within a few weeks of each other last year...both carried 3' worth of the white stuff each time. Gotta love Lake Effect)
Old 12-12-2004, 09:45 AM   #20
chcknugget
AF Enthusiast

I'm sorry about all the questions, but this is my last one...

How much fluid should I buy if I do the procedure you did (flush first time, keep the second), I mean for filling the transfercase twice?
Old 12-12-2004, 10:47 AM   #21
Tedybear
AF Newbie

That I'm not sure of..considering the shop billed it out as "units". Might as well pick up a Haynes manual or something specific to that year. Normally they have fuild capacities listed for everything. I'm not sure how 'easy' it is to get to the drain and refill plug? The shop did it on the lift. The tech said normally drain..refill...drive it around a bit...drain it again..and a final refill normally does the trick. If it does'ent? It can be a costly repair if the transfer case "seizes" up.

S-
Old 12-28-2004, 07:16 AM   #22
rockout
AF Newbie

I used Mobil 1 synthetic automatic trans. fld. in mine. No problems before or after. 250,000 miles.
rockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:29 PM   #23
chcknugget
AF Enthusiast

rockout, What year is your van? I bought fluid, just am waiting for a warmer day to put it in.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #24
rockout
AF Newbie

It is a 1994. Most transfer cases these days take automatic trans. fld. Thats why I used It. I also used synthetic gear lube in the front and rear differentials. I also use Mobil 1 in the engine.
rockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #25
reldred
AF Newbie

My 2002 Safari AWD started acting up - jerking upon acceration and when turning - so I picked up two quarts of GM Auto Track II transfer case fluid and changed the fluid in the transfer case. The owners manual says to change the automatic transmission and transfer case fluids at 50,000 miles. After changing the fluid the AWD smoothed out and the van doesn't jerk or bind when turning.
reldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:54 PM   #26
chcknugget
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I ended up changing the fluid in my parents van back in january, and now it's august and the thing still turns like new. The autotrack fluid is the answer!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies