Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Mustang Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

1988 Mustang start issues

Im going to be working on a 88 mustang tomorrow, im guessing a 5.0, its for sure a standard. The ignition switch signal isnt finding its way to the starter. The reason its in the shop was for a clutch linkage problem but now that the clutch is fixed it will not spin the starter... It has an alarm system installed, and from what i gather some wiring has been cut for the install (previous to the current problem). Ive been called in to figure it out. It would start before and now it will not. It still has dash lights ect, just no start.

Anyways, the ignition switch has been replaced and isnt the problem. Im thinking its a problem in the neutral safety switch area, or possibly a wire has been tugged at and has come loose (hopefully). With the alarm system being on it, i expect the problem could possibly be in other areas as well.

I need to know what wires are cut into for a typical alarm install. A wiring schematic would help a ton, i might be able to spot whats wrong with it fast or it could be one of those headache jobs (wich i suspect it will be)

Any help or advice is appreciated, i know some of you guys might have seen this before or at least have some idea of what could have gone wrong.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1988 Mustang start issues

Okay its a 88 stang 5.0 HO/manual trans convertible, it has headman headers with dual flowmasters, an obvious sounding cam, minor bolt ons according to owner. Its white, and i cant remember what color it is inside but i remember that it has a posi rear end.

I figured out the wiring problem. The alarm on this one was wired into tons of stuff and was an hour and a half long rats nest. During an alarm the system interupts the starter, wich was the reason for the no start, and is now bypassed. I will not be any more decriptive because some car thief might be reading... If you have this problem PM, i might let on to what it was i did.

Next tuesday im taking the transmission out and putting a fresh clutch and flywheel in it. I wish it was mine so i could drive it right during the test drive. I will have to check it for slip tho
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis