Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
1987ss
AF Regular

94 non responsive

after driving for a half hour when you step on gas it dosent respond, but if you gradualy push accelarator little buy little it will pick up some speed. it acts the same in netural drive or park.. it does not stall eithor i dont know were to start... no ses light oe check engine.. Thanks

also if you park it for 15 min it will go back to driving normal then
1987ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 non responsive

I would check the fuel and air filter first. Does it act like lack of fuel or is their a definate miss.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Ken Naw
AF Newbie

Had similair problem last week. Changed Fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Problem gone. (fingers crossed)

Let us know what you find.

Thanks
Ken Naw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
1987ss
AF Regular

its more like a lack of fuel... it hesitates realy bad when it acts up.. just tonight it started acting up i held the pedal down in park the rpms didnt go up it did a slight back fire and continued to hesitate on accelerating.. i shut it off turned it back on and it was fine... i dont know were to start
Old 10-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
1987ss
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Naw
Had similair problem last week. Changed Fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Problem gone. (fingers crossed)

Let us know what you find.

Thanks
i will tomarrow
Old 10-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
1987ss
AF Regular

havent gave it a tune up but took off dog house and drove around with scanner and fuel press tester hooked up for 2 days and no problems yet it is frustrating me!!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:52 AM   #7
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Check the pressure regulator it is close to the fuel rail pull the vacuum hose if you find gas replace it. You can use channel locks and pinch off the return line at a rubber hose. If this helps replace the pressure regulator. Normally the pumps comes up to pressure and the regulator when it gets vacuum returns to much fuel to the tank.
Once gas is ruled out then start with electrical.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:35 AM   #8
dewaynep
AF Regular

This is just a shot in the dark, but you said you drove it with the doghouse off for 2 days and didn't have any problems. Is it possible the plug wires are routed in such a way to get smashed by the doghouse to cause arcing? Also, is the coil wire routed correctly so when the doghouse goes back on it doesn't contact the foil covered heat shield around the inside of the doghouse? If you can drive it without the doghouse on and it runs fine, then I would suspect this is the problem.
dewaynep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
1987ss
AF Regular

to day it acted up again this time it stalled had to let it sit for a min and it restarted.. but stalled out a few more times and restarted.. i did how ever do a complete tune up a week ago as well... today i heard the fuel pump run for a second a pause and run again pause and run again .. that was when i had the key in on position with out rotating the engine.. normaly it runs constant for 3-5 seconds with out the pause.. and im gonna check wire routing in am thank you
Old 10-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #10
1987ss
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor
Check the pressure regulator it is close to the fuel rail pull the vacuum hose if you find gas replace it. You can use channel locks and pinch off the return line at a rubber hose. If this helps replace the pressure regulator. Normally the pumps comes up to pressure and the regulator when it gets vacuum returns to much fuel to the tank.
Once gas is ruled out then start with electrical.
is it the same with the cmfi?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:45 AM   #11
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

I would check the grounds for being tight and clean. Above left wheel house,rear of engine,front of engine, left side of engine below coil. A loose ground will cause a pump or relay to sometimes work or not work.
Yes a bad fuel pressure regulator will cause starting problems. Normally when you pull the vacuum hose they will leak but not always. The best way is to check with a pressure gage.
If you heard the pump start and shut off start with grounds. Then check the fuel pump relay next check for a loose wire.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #12
1987ss
AF Regular

i can not find fuel pressure regulator. i have a cmfi engine if some one could tell me were it is it would be appreciated.. i put dioelectric grease under igition module that is under cap and on plugs coming from coil to distributor. and it still is acting up.. it also back fires in the in take when you wot it when it is acting up..
Old 11-03-2006, 07:03 AM   #13
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

My '94 Astro CMPFI did the same- took me several tries to figure out that the wire going to the top of the spider (CMPFI) assembly was intermittent- had a thin broken spot- I had replaced 2 spider assemblies (mega bucks) before I finally got to the bottom of it- once I replace the wiring harness that plugs into the top of the unit- all was fine. I got really good at removing the upper intake plenum- I think I had it off 11 times in 2 yrs.. Van was towed home at least 4 times- and it usually would start when unhooked from the tow truck- I had even made my own connector for the top of the spider- that worked for a few weeks until it bit me again....The wiring harness was $87 which I thought was excessive- so I found a used one from another Astro....
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 AM   #14
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

If you have throttle body injection with two injectors on top chevy's regulator is on the back of the body. You can feel it if you put your hand under the back edge. The parts store should have rebuild kits and a gasket set if you want to also clean it. Otherwise it is on the fuel rail for the injectors.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #15
1987ss
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcidd
My '94 Astro CMPFI did the same- took me several tries to figure out that the wire going to the top of the spider (CMPFI) assembly was intermittent- had a thin broken spot- I had replaced 2 spider assemblies (mega bucks) before I finally got to the bottom of it- once I replace the wiring harness that plugs into the top of the unit- all was fine. I got really good at removing the upper intake plenum- I think I had it off 11 times in 2 yrs.. Van was towed home at least 4 times- and it usually would start when unhooked from the tow truck- I had even made my own connector for the top of the spider- that worked for a few weeks until it bit me again....The wiring harness was $87 which I thought was excessive- so I found a used one from another Astro....
they changed spider before i purchsed it! how can i tell if that wire is broken? does intake have to come apart?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies