Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Rondogg
AF Newbie

Ignition lights went out & won't start

The problem happened after I parked in the driveway and when I came back to drive the 96 Sebring, when I turned the key, no dash lights came on, and nothing at all happened when I turned the key, no starter turning, nothing. The power windows did work though. Is this a fuse or relay? please help, and thanks in advance!!! Ron
Rondogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
mrcuiser
AF Newbie

Sebring issue

Hi,

I would like to know if you have resolved your problem with your car. I have the same problem. I know which fuse is causing the result, but not the problem as of yet. I can replace the fuse and the car will either work for a while or not. And if the fuse is going to blow with me, it is always whenever after I turn the key to the start position, if I have the key on just the on postion, if the fuse has been replaced or if the car was running fine earlier, everything works.
mrcuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
mrcuiser
AF Newbie

Re: Ignition lights went out & won't start

I don't know if anybody here found out what the problem is, but go under your hood and look for the fuse block cover. The fuse you want to look at is number 8. It should be one of the small fuses, a yellow one 20A. If it is blown, the most common problem that causes it is the starter. Replace it. If you go to PartsAmerica.com, you can get a lifetime warrantee starter for about 125.00. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
Gas Trader
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondogg
The problem happened after I parked in the driveway and when I came back to drive the 96 Sebring, when I turned the key, no dash lights came on, and nothing at all happened when I turned the key, no starter turning, nothing. The power windows did work though. Is this a fuse or relay? please help, and thanks in advance!!! Ron
Hey there...I know this is an old post, but I have the same problem and was wondering if the fuse fixed the problem or if it was something else. Please give me an update. Thanks!
Gas Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:17 AM   #5
mrcuiser
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Ignition lights went out & won't start

Hi there,

Sorry I thought I posted how my experience turned out. As you will read on my earlier post which is this:

I don't know if anybody here found out what the problem is, but go under your hood and look for the fuse block cover. The fuse you want to look at is number 8. It should be one of the small fuses, a yellow one 20A. If it is blown, the most common problem that causes it is the starter. Replace it. If you go to PartsAmerica.com, you can get a lifetime warrantee starter for about 125.00. Good luck.

A failsafe way of determining this was for me to replace the fuse, then I turned the key to the on position, not the starting one, which engages the starter. Everything worked okay. Then the instant I turned the key to the starting position, the fuse blew. It did not always do that, but when I replaced the starter, the problem vanished. Evidently the starter would wear out and would start to ground itself somehow to the engine, which would trigger the fuse to short out. I suspect it would be the solenoid, which triggers the starter to operate, since a small fuse would not have enough amperage to operate a 100 amp plus starter.

Anyway, it is possible to replace the starter yourself, but be careful, it is a pain to get at the three bolts that hold the starter in place. Plus the small wire that you need to pull from the starter has a plastic clip lock that needs to be lifted before you can remove the wire from the starter. Of course you can always have someone do it for you, that would be best.

Good luck
Old 11-16-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Gas Trader
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Ignition lights went out & won't start

Hi! Thanks for the quick response. I saw the earlier posts but did not know for sure if that fixed his problem or not. My 97' jxi is acting the same way...drove it to the park and ride, got back in the evening and everything on the dash and engine dead but the windows and top work. Seems strange that a small fuse would control that many components. I will go and try the fuse this morning. Thanks for the help amigo!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #7
Gas Trader
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ignition lights went out & won't start

The fuse was bad. Is there anyway to test if the starter is the cause? I don't want to start replacing parts without knowing for sure. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
mrcuiser
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ignition lights went out & won't start

Well,

I went through the same thing, when I talked to the Chrysler dealership
the mechanic shop said that they were nearly 100% sure the starter was responsible. Of course you can always inquire on your own. But what checking around I did made me realize that replacing the starter was the most economical way of eliminating the doubt. And I was right. Good luck and let me know how you do.

Mike
Old 11-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
indyal
AF Newbie

had the same problem took out the starter, it turned out to be the siliniod on the starter can't buy just that took it apart found a bur on it cleaned it up oiled put it back together and no problems since. test it with jumpper cables before u put it back in
indyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 AM   #10
Gas Trader
AF Newbie

Thanks for the help fellas. I am going to see what happens over the next couple days. I bought some extra fuses to ensure I won't be stranded for now. Houston had a cold front and rain storm that blew through that day and I think water may have gotten in to the engine compartment and caused the short. Here is hoping that I don't have any more problems but at least I am informed now about the potential causes. I appreciate all the help and y'all have a great holiday.
Thanks!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible