Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #46
myhd
AF Newbie

Re: Blower Motor Resistor Replacement (with pics)

My fan only operates on speeds 1, 2, 3. It DOESN"T operate on High Speed.

Would this still be the resister?
myhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #47
Frankwt
AF Newbie

All I know is that the resistor itself controls the 1,2 3 speeds and 4 keeps running. When I remove the resistor 4 will not work either, when I plug the old one back in 4 works...so it has to fun through there too, I would assume the resistor would fix 4 too...but all I do know is it does fix 1,2,3 when 4 works.
Frankwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #48
jerrypcman
AF Newbie

have a 1999 sebring Covt.

SO SO SO EZ

1. Buy part at O reilys or Pet Boys
2. Pull out plastic molding retaining pins on lower plastic part below glover comp which covers the fan. One is dead center in the back, the other is mid right.
3. pull part out, give it a good tug.
4. Resister is on the bottom and very very ez to get to. Unplug, unscrew the two bolts (11/32), part will drop off in your had.
5. attach new one to wires
6. Stick in hole, install screws by hand, tighten them.
7. replace plastic molding by pushing towards driver side and fitting over platic heater duct.
8. push plastic molding washers in (2) from step 2, push center retaining pin to hold them.

YOU ARE DONE. 15 minutes
jerrypcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #49
Albert123
AF Newbie

Here is a picture of the heater resistor with the coating removed.
Looks like corrosion damaged the conductive traces on the board.

(http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?i...rresistec7.jpg)
Albert123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:31 PM   #50
borowskt
AF Newbie

How did you separate the wiring harness from the relay. I pushed the red tab up but it would not come completely out. Couldn't get it apart and didn't want to force it. Car is a 2004 sebring.
borowskt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #51
Larscar
AF Newbie

Just to let you know, the repair process works well on the 2004 Sebring.....did mine today. Part is now 41.99 at PepBoys. Larry
Larscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #52
jaxrider
AF Newbie

I know this is a really old thread, I would like to view the pics but can't seem to find them, were they possibly removed since thread is so old.

I don't have 1,2,3 but do have 4 on my 01 convert sebring. Guess I'll be getting my 8mm socket out and getting the blower motor resistor and possibly some doans for my back. Thanks for the post.
jaxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #53
terrapinsfan
AF Newbie

Will part #5174124AA work for my 06 Sebring Convertible 2.4L? I think this year is the same generation as the others mentioned here.
terrapinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #54
daisy28mar
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Blower Motor Resistor Replacement (with pics)

I did mine today. Took me awhile (15 minutes my ass ) and you have to be a contortionist to get into the passenger floor board and under the dash, but I got it out and back in. Had to go back to Advance Auto to get help with the little red clippy thing. Couldn't get it loose and was afraid to force it. He had it apart in like two seconds then I drove back home and put it together after cutting the hole bigger. The best part is it WORKS!!! Oh yeah, it was way cheaper at Advance Auto than anywhere else. I just had to pay for it and then wait overnight for it to be delivered to the store.
daisy28mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #55
walnetto
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvj
Thanks for the great pictures. I just replaced the resistor on my 2001 Sebring. Just a couple of notes. The part has been changed to #5174124AA and it's about $35 or more. It doesn't look like the old one as others have noted. It is thicker which means it doesn't fit in the old slot. I was able to use a file and quickly enlarge the slot to accommodate the thicker one.

The hardest part for me was removing the wire connector from the back of the resistor. I first removed the red tab, and then lifted the locking tab. Sliding the two pieces apart was tough.

Since the new part looks much sturdier, I hope that it will now last indefinitely.
Thanks all who posted. Went to dealer and got one for each of my 01 and 02 convertibles. Can you imagine, both cars going out the same months? Paid the same, about $35, but not after I searched wrong and wound up buying 2 Control Units (on dash) off Ebay for $75. How disappointing when it didn't fix the problem. And how sweet the sound of all the speeds working. The red clip, easy if you use a screw driver to lift it up. Hard part, laying under dash. Came right out with socket. I have a small screwdriver socket set. Wow, does that get hot. That is the reason to have it in the blower so it cools off. I'd bet it would start a fire if just under the dash. Okay, the hard part is cutting away the slot so it fits in. One guy mentioned a file. Tight quarters for a file. I am using a sharp pocket knife. If I can't resell the control panels, at $150 would still be cheaper than having the dealer do one car.
walnetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #56
walnetto
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinsfan
Will part #5174124AA work for my 06 Sebring Convertible 2.4L? I think this year is the same generation as the others mentioned here.
I think so. I know the controls are the same right up to 06. Your 2 year old car crapped out? Wow.
walnetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #57
adia823
AF Newbie

OMG thank you soooo much
i had no idea why only 4 is the fan option that was working and didn't want my heat running on 4 all winter
thank you thank you thank you
i am headed to the store...
adia823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #58
csherrow1
AF Newbie

The instructions were great and the pictures were very helpful. It took me about 2.5 hours but most of the time was spent trying to disconnect the wiring harness so I had to have my wife do this after I messed with it for over 1 hour.
csherrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #59
adia823
AF Newbie

Talking Re: Blower Motor Resistor Replacement (with pics)

Thank you again for the instructions
i got the part and got it changed in about an hour
the longest part was getting the wiring apart from the resistor
my shoulder was bruised for a few days from laying up underneath there but i got it done and i am more than ecstatic that my fan blows on 1,2, and 3.
thanks again it was the biggest help

adia823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #60
terrapinsfan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnetto
I think so. I know the controls are the same right up to 06. Your 2 year old car crapped out? Wow.
The part worked for my '06.

Yeah I think 2 years old is too quick. I think it was a rental car though as it had 34K on it when I bought it used in June of '07. I've got 63K on it now and this is the only problem so far.
terrapinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible