Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
Angella
AF Regular

Question Autostart - no heat?

Well, I know that Chryslers have this great feature, where they don't blow cold air on you...

but I think that wonderful feature has backfired... I think the car doesn't realize it's warm (in fact, running for 15 minutes!) when I'm using an aftermarket autostart...

kinda sucks - the autostart is good for the car, but sucks for me : ) The air is warm when you get in there and put the key in the ignition, but the inside of the car itself hasn't gotten warm.

Anyone know how to make the computer a little less intelligent? Just a little...
Angella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:12 PM   #2
Bronco2
AF Enthusiast

Re: Autostart - no heat?

I am assuming that your heater fan works OK after you put the key in-sounds like your auto (remote ?) start system isn't wired in to the heater controls.
Bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Autostart - no heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco2
I am assuming that your heater fan works OK after you put the key in-sounds like your auto (remote ?) start system isn't wired in to the heater controls.
You know, I'd 2nd that idea too. I do remote starts for a living and had no complaints. If I remember, doesn't the fan HAVE to come on by law for the defrost??? I'd check that out. The defrost can still work to defrost the window with little to no heat.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:57 PM   #4
Angella
AF Regular

yep, it works fine in all cases except with the autostart...

This is a problem with all newer chryslers... my friends grand cherokee doesn't work either...

but I figured that darn autostart cost over $600, don't you think it should turn on the heater?

Now, if it was impossible, I'd be ok with that... but if it is possible, can you provide me some details, so I can go back to the place that installed it and speak intelligently? : )

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2004, 11:11 PM   #5
Dehner Motorsports
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Dehner Motorsports
I normally just convince someone else in the house to start my car for me on cold mornings.

Mastersbilt Chassis
Chevrolet 406 BMF Racing Engine
World Heads
D.U.I. Distributor
C&S Specialties 890 Aersol Billet Carburetor
Dehner Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:56 PM   #6
Angella
AF Regular

hmmm... I'm still working on training the dog : )

Actually, I've given my sebring to my father to drive... it's still mine, but he thinks it's really cool. I'm driving an M3. : ) Unfortunately, I haven't found a good autostart for it yet... darn 5 speeds
Old 01-23-2004, 06:59 AM   #7
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angella
yep, it works fine in all cases except with the autostart...

This is a problem with all newer chryslers... my friends grand cherokee doesn't work either...

but I figured that darn autostart cost over $600, don't you think it should turn on the heater?

Now, if it was impossible, I'd be ok with that... but if it is possible, can you provide me some details, so I can go back to the place that installed it and speak intelligently? : )

Thanks!
Who installed this for $600??? I mean even my 2-way system with alarm from Directed Electronics is barely 1/2 that cost!!! Anyway, you never said what year and style of Sebring you have. The heater is real easy to do. THere are 2 accessory wires to grab. Like on a '02 Coupe, there are blue/red and blue/black. If you have BOTH of the wires energized, you'll have heat On a '04 Grnd Cherokee, it is red/black and black/orange to get the heater to work.
Only grabbing one of the accessory wires is a very common newbie installer mistake.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:50 AM   #8
Angella
AF Regular

I'm sorry : ) I guess that would help.

It's an 01 Sebring, the first year with the new body style.

The place that installed it is Mobile Electronics in Columbus. They've installed autostarts in 4? of our other vehicles, and have been very good about support. They also replaced the aftermarket alarm, but I agree, this is the most any of the autostarts have cost.

Also, the car was taken back to them, and it's blowing air now... but now cold air (like the heater isn't being engaged?) Would that be the one wire but not the other? : )
Old 01-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #9
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm sorry : ) I guess that would help.

It's an 01 Sebring, the first year with the new body style.

The place that installed it is Mobile Electronics in Columbus. They've installed autostarts in 4? of our other vehicles, and have been very good about support. They also replaced the aftermarket alarm, but I agree, this is the most any of the autostarts have cost.

Also, the car was taken back to them, and it's blowing air now... but now cold air (like the heater isn't being engaged?) Would that be the one wire but not the other? : )
WOOPS! I use to work there many years ago but we won't get into that You must have bought a 2-way LCD remote start then or maybe an alarm/remote start combo. Those are more than a standard 562t remote start. Anyway, if they have it blowing now, it should blow hot or cold heat. I don't know of anything unsual about that car.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:39 PM   #10
Angella
AF Regular

I have one friend with a 99 Grand cherokee, and another with a 00 300m...

both of them have gotten auto starts, and neither works (doesn't blow air at all in theirs)

We were assuming that since these cars don't blow air at you at all until the air is warm (nice feature usually : ) that they just didn't realize the air was warm when using an auto start (like something wasn't engaging that sensor or something...)

oh welll, maybe there's nothing we can do about it...

what do the 2 accessory wires do? I was hoping that one turned on the fan, and the other did something else (maybe the 2nd is a ground?)
Old 01-24-2004, 05:59 AM   #11
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I have one friend with a 99 Grand cherokee, and another with a 00 300m...

both of them have gotten auto starts, and neither works (doesn't blow air at all in theirs)

We were assuming that since these cars don't blow air at you at all until the air is warm (nice feature usually : ) that they just didn't realize the air was warm when using an auto start (like something wasn't engaging that sensor or something...)

oh welll, maybe there's nothing we can do about it...

what do the 2 accessory wires do? I was hoping that one turned on the fan, and the other did something else (maybe the 2nd is a ground?)
I have never had anyone complain about it. I have a '02 Liberty Limited and it works great. I've done so many RS on Chrysler products that I am sure someone would have told me something. I honestly do not know. If you ever travel an hour north, I'd be happy to look at it. The accessory wires do indeed energize the heat/ac controls. The other keeps the service engine light from comming on.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:09 PM   #12
Angella
AF Regular

k, I'm going to talk to them (sometime this week for sure) confirm that they hooked these wires up...
Old 01-24-2004, 04:10 PM   #13
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Autostart - no heat?

Quote:
k, I'm going to talk to them (sometime this week for sure) confirm that they hooked these wires up...
Alright. You could also goto Automotive Preservers off of Broad St. I believe. They are a DEI dealer too.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible