Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 01:08 AM   #1
Ekoastn
AF Newbie

New SSE Owner needs advice on rough engine

I just bought a 95 SSE off my neighbor and it has a few problems. Some of which others seem to have in other posts, but they haven't seemed to get the answer either.

First, the engine runs rough. on occasion, it sounds like there is a clank or knocking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine near the belts. It is an intermittent, not constant noise.

Secondly, it hesitates on the start of a hill climb and then catches and goes. This happens whether the car is cold or warm.

Lastly, (and I saw another post on this) the driver seat is stuck in the recline position. and the passenger side is up but does not recline. I suspect a ad switch, although you can hear the seat motor groan but not move when you hit the switch. It's highly unlikely that both motors are out, so I will try replacing the seat switch module

Any thoughts, especially about the motor are appreciated.
Ekoastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
jkinney
AF Regular

My first concern would be the knock you described. With a mirror, or removing the pass side wheel and inner wheel well (not as hard as it sounds) look at the rubber on your harmonic balancer. They were famous for seperating all the way around and letting the outer ring float free from the inner hub,...not a good thing. I could actually rotate it by hand to the "positive stops" in both directions - the clunking sounds. That was the first thing I had to do on my 94 SSEi, I found a nice unit out of TX that was 75.00 (included shipping) let us know what you find.
jkinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:59 PM   #3
Ekoastn
AF Newbie

Thanks JKinney. I just ordered the shop manuals off ebay so I'll check it out (as I don't know what the harmonic balancer looks like). I'm fairly mechanically inclined, is it a job I can do myself? Would the harmonic balancer cause the rough engine and hesitation on acceleration?

Thanks again
Old 01-15-2004, 07:07 AM   #4
jkinney
AF Regular

Maybe, If it is knocking enough, your knock sensor could pick up on it and send false signals. The hesitation still maybe an ignition problem, or fuel. Have you done a tune up at all? Plugs and wires, fuel filter? I would at least do that if it hasent been done in a while, then go from there. The balancer is located on the pass side of the engine, largest pulley on the bottom is attached to it. It will be the fat ring between the pulley and the engine block. I used a three finger puller to get mine, but I think you can use a "normal" puller, as long as it has a big enough span, and you have 3 M6 x 4.50" long bolts. I'll confirm the size if you want to tackle it yourself. Some parts stores will loan the tools. Congrats on the manuals, you'll learn more about that car then you thought possible, but the population on this forum will prob know the little quirks that the manual wont have, faulty design on parts, etc. IMO, I'd stick with Delco parts for ignition stuff, I've seen a lot of comments on aftermarket stuff just not cutting it.
jkinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
Ekoastn
AF Newbie

Thanks JKinney, these boards are great, I'll keep you posted on the progress. A tune up is definately on the top as far as priority. There is oil around the head covers so I'll replace the gaskets as well for starters.