Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
FishFind
One Hot Shot

Harmonic Balancer squeek

The other day I notice that I had a nice wet spot under my 1998 4wd chevy blazer. Turned out to be the water pump.

I replaced the water pump and was hoping that it would also take care of a nasty squeel that I was hearing for a month or two.

Squeel is still here and makin me nuts. The only place I can guess it is comin from now is the Harmonic Balancer that I noticed looked nice and rusty from my water pump.

Does this sound like it could be the case?? if so what is the squeeking coming from? Is there a bearing on the harmonic balancer?
FishFind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Re: Harmonic Balancer squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFind View Post
The other day I notice that I had a nice wet spot under my 1998 4wd chevy blazer. Turned out to be the water pump.

I replaced the water pump and was hoping that it would also take care of a nasty squeel that I was hearing for a month or two.

Squeel is still here and makin me nuts. The only place I can guess it is comin from now is the Harmonic Balancer that I noticed looked nice and rusty from my water pump.

Does this sound like it could be the case?? if so what is the squeeking coming from? Is there a bearing on the harmonic balancer?
If you have a Serpentine Belt (not sure about 98's) in all probability that is the root cause of your problem. I have to replace mine every 2-3 years because of the Squeek. I have found that the AutoZone Gatorback Belt lasts the longest. So change your belt and see if that helps before replacing anything else.

And BTW, you'll chase the damn squeek all around the belt system, and be tempted to replace everything from the Alternator, Power Steering Pump, Idlers, Belt tensioners, Smog pumps, to the Air Conditioning Compressors, and nothing will do it.

Start with the belt, if it is still there after replacing the belt, You can call me all kinds of names.
FishFind (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
FishFind
One Hot Shot

That did it bud. I guess no name callin.
FishFind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFind View Post
That did it bud. I guess no name callin.
Coooool!

Even a blind squirrell finds an acorn in the forest once in a while.