Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Diecast Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Diecast Car Modeling Discuss and show diecast vehicles that you have modified, or that you have collected.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
DriftingStig
AF Newbie

Dacia Logan 1/43 (real car recreation)

This my first 1/43 project, inspired by my real car: a 2006 Dacia Logan 1.6 16v in Prestige trim. Here's an actual picture of it:

I decided I want to recreate it in scale form. The only decent Dacia scales are made by Eligor and available in most Dacia dealerships in Romania.

Unfortunately, the model had incorrect side mirrors, as the Prestige version uses the larger mirrors from the MCV estate. I've also changed my front bumper to the one on the MCV as it looks more aggressive. I couldn't find the sedan with the MCV bumper, so I bought a second model and cut the bumper from that one.
One las thing will be to add some Enkei RP-F1 wheels. I couldn't find them in 1/43, but I found some nice Racing 43 wheels modeled after Peugeot rally rims. They're not identical to the Enkeis, but are close enough. I'm currently waiting for them to be shipped.

Here's how the model looks, stripped of paint (thank you, nail polish remover!), with the MCV bumper attached via Tamiya epoxy putty:

I'll keep posting here as I progress.

Quick question, will Tamiya primer adhere properly to typical die-cast metal?
Slammed Miata
DriftingStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
DriftingStig
AF Newbie

Re: Dacia Logan 1/43 (real car recreation)

Finally got some time to spray it with some Tamiya Primer. The metal has a lot of color variation in it so it was hard to evaluate the shape.
There's still a bit more sanding to do before I spray it with the final color.
Anybody knows if automotive paint (spray) will negatively react to the Tamiya primer?

Slammed Miata
Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
ales
Forza Schumacher

Automotive paint *should* be just fine over Tamiya primer but you could try it on a test piece first just to be sure.

Since you're going to these lengths (stripping the body) may I suggest you also drill out the turn signals on the sides and replace them with clear sprue from a plastic kit? Will look great once the model is finished.

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
DriftingStig
AF Newbie

True, they've been bugging me. I should have plenty of transparent plastic sprue from my plastic kits to replace them.
Thanks for the hint
Slammed Miata
Old 02-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
DriftingStig
AF Newbie

Finally got around buying a can of automotive paint for the model. I've found the exact paint color on my real car: Renault Comet Gray (KNA).
Here's the body after two coats of paint. There's one area that still needs a coat: the rear trunk and bumper. I'll touch that up, sand it and clear coat it this weekend.

Slammed Miata