Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Wags391
10-year Owner

Time to replace the A/C, slightly DIY

I now live in Florida and my A/C does not work. The heated months are coming quick!

I have a 1992 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4, 4.3L TBI.

I need to make sure I'm ordering all the parts I need to do an A/C swap. I won't be replacing the condenser or evaporator core, but the compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube. Of course, this means I need to get things flushed and I also will get a new o-ring kit.

Here's my plan. Tell me if I should can't it:

Drain what's left of the coolant.
Disconnect the hose from the compressor.
Remove compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube.
Install new compressor and accumulator but do not hook up.
Take to a shop to flush, install orifice tube, connect lines and fill the system with coolant.
Check for leaks.

How does this sound??
I would try doing it all my self, but I don't have a compressor to do the flush with.

What do you think?
Wags391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Re: Time to replace the A/C, slightly DIY

First of all why did the system quit...have you identified the leak? Are you planning to make the switch from R12 to R134? Then if theres any refrigerant left in the system it needs to be recovered by law and not dumped into the atmosphere.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Wags391
10-year Owner

Re: Time to replace the A/C, slightly DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaP View Post
First of all why did the system quit...have you identified the leak? Are you planning to make the switch from R12 to R134? Then if theres any refrigerant left in the system it needs to be recovered by law and not dumped into the atmosphere.
I had the system checked, and the compressor is not working like it should anymore. After all, it is the original 92 part. It's already been retrofitted, but I think most of the refrigerant has leaked out. I'm aware of the laws regarding this. I didn't plan to just pull the schrader and let it go.

The system is in need of an overall and I figured with a dying compressor, this is the time to do it.

Any advice on getting it done?
Wags391 is offline   Reply With Quote