Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
letmecheck
AF Newbie

Wink 1993 GMC Safari - a Few Questions for the Experts

Hi everyone,

Like the title says, I own a 1993 GMC Safari GT 2WD w/ the 4.3L CPI "W" Code engine. I purchased the van in Feb 2002 with 45K on it and currently the van has 104K miles. I have had to replace only a few items and have a couple questions on the remaining problems:

1.) The starter engages after sometimes turning the key 2, 3, maybe 4 times. It clicks each time, but connects and spins the fywheel after those number of tries. I attribute this to the fuel pump issue I had last year which I have since replaced; however, during this time there was additional strain on the starter as sometimes it had to crank the engine for 5 seconds at a time maybe 5 times before the engine fired. That problem is fixed. Now, I have purchased a new starter and I have never installed one before, and I am worried about all this 'shimming' business. Does anyone know if this model year/engine combo requires use of the shim and/or how do I tell if I need to use it? I am under the impression that if I install the new starter and I don't hear any whining noises either before or after installation, then the starter is installed properly. Is this entirely true?

2.) When starting the van after it sits for over an hour or so, light blue smoke comes from the exhaust only for a few seconds or so. On the road, I do not experience any type of 'blow-by' nor do I experience much oil loss when I change the oil (typically less than 1/2 a quart). Is this a cause for concern, i.e. could it potentially lead to additional problems or should I continue to leave it alone? I have had this problem for as long as I can remember.

3.) When the transmission is cold, the van shifts very sharply between 1st and 2nd gears. I have heard this is quite common with this transmission; I would just like to know if I should have a transmission shop look at the van or just be easy on the trans when it's cold.

4.) Last year, the van would not shift from park to anything while applying the brake, however, turning the key slightly towards the 'start' position clicked off the brake shift interlock and I was able to shift the van. It was a slight annoyance but I was able to get by until the auto shop that installed my fuel pump broke the ignition switch (it would just spin in circles). They replaced the entire steering column for me and the interlock problem went away - however, it has returned again every so often and I'd like to know if there is a way to disengage the brake interlock system altogether. I do not have kids or pets and I am not worried about shifting the van when it shouldn't. Any suggestions?

5.) Lastly, the rear dutch-door lock is frozen for use with keys. The electronic latch works just fine; however, I would like to have a key backup 'just in case'. I have sprayed liquid wrench, wd-40, etc and let it sit hours and overnight to see if that frees up the lock to no avail. GM says they can sell me a new part and have it rekeyed and all this nonsense for $400! Is there any way to obtain a junkyard part and rekey the lock myself? Or would I be stuck with an additional key (if they have it) for use with the rear door?

Thanks for viewing my post, please help on any of these questions if you can, I appreciate it very much.

Dave
letmecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
letmecheck
AF Newbie

Unhappy Anyone wanna look at this?

Please?
Old 05-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #3
jerkyface
AF Newbie

Re: Anyone wanna look at this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmecheck
Please?
Poor guy! I'm not technical but I can definitely answer (2) for you: it's completely OK. I've had several mechanics tell me this. Apparently ALL Chevy's do this. It has something to do with a gasket, but it's not a big deal at all. My 1992 Safari does the same thing and yeah, it doesn't affect oil consumption noticeably. So don't worry about the puff of blue smoke at all.

(3) Mine does the same: quite a sharp shift between 1st and 2nd, when cold. And I even have the "shift-kit" installed that is supposed to ease shifting. No counsel, just telling you you're not alone: my transmission seems quite hardy, even given this shifting. Hey: it's not crunching or anything.
jerkyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:25 PM   #4
gaslady
AF Newbie

the problem with not shifting out of park happened to me at 5p on a holiday weekend. local gmc dealer took a guess of a vacuum release switch located behind the brake pedal on the steering column. cost $17 dollars and took me 10 minutes to change. no problems since. The lock problem on my rear hatch doesnt work with a key either , our local parts store said they can order entire lock set for all doors for under $40. figue that will take alot of time and my handy dandy repair manual. that back lock is electric. our local locksmith said he could change them all for $200. hope this helps
gaslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
letmecheck
AF Newbie

Smile Thanks for the response!

I will try that vacuum release switch, it's still a problem that I'm anxious to fix.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:55 AM   #6
LTJGWorth
AF Regular

Re: 1993 GMC Safari - a Few Questions for the Experts

I have a 1992 safari that also blows a little bit of white or blue smoke when first starting up. Mine sat for 2 years of more without being started and drove. I had to replace the transmission and when i got ready to sell it (which I haven't done) I changed the oil and made sure everything is ok. But I don't think that the blue/white smoke is anything to be concerned about.
LTJGWorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Bushpilot1
AF Newbie

Re: 1993 GMC Safari - a Few Questions for the Experts

The little bit of blue smoke you see is especially common to gm v-6's & some small v-8's. Nothing serious to worry about. Is caused by an o-rings mounted on the end of the valve stem that prevents oil passage into the cylinder. Costs about $250 at a decent shop to fix. I have 2 vehicles with the same problem, 1 w/200,000 on it & the other w/350,000 on it. No biggie. Have a great day.
Bushpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies