Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
1965pravin
AF Newbie

antifreeze leakage

1996 Jeep grand cheerokee limited

leakage of antifreeze, cannot find the leak, took to the shop did the pressure test 3 times.
changed the waterpump, radiator was changed 2 years back.

hoses are the next to be changed

thank you

1965pravin
1965pravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
a_alyte
AF Regular

Re: antifreeze leakage

Where do you notice the antifreeze?

I just replaced my radiator yesterday because it was leaking from the side of the radiator. Antifreeze was pooling right below the petcock & dripping off the bumper. It would only leak after turning the Jeep off. I also had this leaky radiator pressure tested but the pressure was good. The radiator I took out was installed a year ago, so I'm hoping this new one will last for some time.
a_alyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
JeepForever
AF Regular

My 1994 Jeep GC has been leaking antifreeze since I had the radiator replaced 2 years ago. I don't think the leaks are related to the repair/replacement, though, because they're at the hose connection to the engine (small drip), and big drips/spraying from all around the seam on the pan at the bottom of the engine. I though this was the oil pan, but is there a section where there's coolant behind the pan? I'm at the point where I need to repair this (today when I parked and turned off the engine it made a puddle about 1-foot diameter).
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
poormanmechanic
AF Newbie

Did you ever have any luck finding out what this was? I am having very similar problems with my 96 Grand Cherokee. I replaced the water pump as well and still have a leak.
poormanmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
dell520
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to dell520

This must be a common jeep problem because my dad and I both have small leaks, but his leaks more than mine.
Mine is leaking somewhere above the drain plug and his is leaking around the top of the radiator.

Were going to aftermarket aluminum radiators soon so hopefully no more leaks.
dell520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
dksob81
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dksob81 Send a message via AIM to dksob81 Send a message via MSN to dksob81 Send a message via Yahoo to dksob81

I have probably had the worse luck with radiators in my 2 jeep. I replaced the radiato twice in my old jeep within 3 years. and I've only had my 5.9Limited for about a years and have just replaced the radiator in it about a week ago for the second time.

Why do I go through so many radiators. I thought it was the radiator I was using got them from Radiator Express, but the radiator I just replaced last week is leaking already it looks like it is coming from where the side tnak and the core meet.

W.T.T.F. - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate Pearl - K&N FIPK GEN II (COLD AIR INTAKE), Altezza Tails and Crystal Clear Front end light with HID Kit and NP242 Swap.

dksob81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
a_alyte
AF Regular

The second radiator I'm running now has shown no signs of leakage since installed 11/'07 (fingers crossed), also purchased from rad express (still waiting for my refund from them too ). I am noticing a tad bit of coolant pooling on top of my waterpump but I'm not sure if I should change it just yet. I'm also hearing a noise coming from the engine when warming up, but it goes away once up to temp.

My Jeep was in a minor front end collision before i bought it, I think that might be why I installed two rad's thus far .
a_alyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
JeepForever
AF Regular

My leak ended up being the water pump. It wasn't really obvious where the leak was coming from because the fluid was flowing along the engine and dripping off at several spots. With the new pump there are no leaks at all. I also had the radiator replaced a couple of years ago and it's been fine, except I had the wrong size cap on the radiator. I don't know if that caused any pressure issues, but it's all better now.
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
dksob81
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dksob81 Send a message via AIM to dksob81 Send a message via MSN to dksob81 Send a message via Yahoo to dksob81

What size radiator cap did you have on your jeep

W.T.T.F. - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate Pearl - K&N FIPK GEN II (COLD AIR INTAKE), Altezza Tails and Crystal Clear Front end light with HID Kit and NP242 Swap.

dksob81 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8