Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
*Nina*
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to *Nina*
Exclamation water spots help!!

i have a huge problem with water spotting where i live. i have tried everything to get them off. i can keep them from forming, its just the ones that are already on the windows that i cant get off and i have tried everything. fresh lemon, vinegar, wax, amazing, scrubbing bubbles, windex and nothing will take it off. help!
*Nina* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Re: water spots help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Nina*
i have a huge problem with water spotting where i live. i have tried everything to get them off. i can keep them from forming, its just the ones that are already on the windows that i cant get off and i have tried everything. fresh lemon, vinegar, wax, amazing, scrubbing bubbles, windex and nothing will take it off. help!
Hi Nina - Welcome to the forum!

I used to put "reflective window film" on homes & cars (in Florida) and we used to clean the windows first with the following method. It may or may not work, but I think its worth a try.

Spray on some warm soapy water and then use a "razor scraper" to get everything off the window. Sometimes it took several passes to get all the nasty stuff off. When you can scrap the window and not "feel" any resistance, then the window was washed down with more soap & a squeegee.

Our scraper was about 5-6 inches long and had a special tool that it was installed in, but I think you might be able to do the same thing with a single-sided razor blade. Type "razor scraper" into Google images search to see the tool for this (should be available at local hardware store).

I hope this helps.

Take Care,
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
*Nina*
AF Newbie

greg

thanks for the advice just went to try it out and after 15 mins of scraping and rinsing still no good

help anyone ??
Old 07-16-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
Bob D.
AF Enthusiast

Not being facetious, but are you sure it's on the side you're trying to clean?

Anyway, Dow Tub & Tile Cleaner should do the trick--spray it on and let it soak in for several minutes then buff it clean.
Use Windex to remove the residue.
If that doesn't do it, repeat except use fine (#0000) steel wool and gently buff the water spots.

Bon-Ami, CLR or Lime Away used wet on a damp soft cloth or towel should also work.

That's some hard water you have there.

Keep in mind that if this was from acid rain the spots may have been etched into the glass.

Last edited by Bob D.; 07-16-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
*Nina*
AF Newbie

okay i went and bought some steel wool today, and i tried it with just a soap and water mixture. i think it took some of it off, but it was getting dark and i couldnt see all that well. thanks for your help
Old 07-18-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
Caribbean ZJ
AF Regular

wont steel wool scratch the glass. You might take the spots off but then scuff up your windows.
Caribbean ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
*Nina*
AF Newbie

no, it wont, cause i was using the #OOOO. it helped a little bit, but today, i was in Napa, and found this stuff called auto glass stripper from no touch. and it worked!!! yay!. i only tried 17 other things, before this stuff and nothing worked, but this did. thank ya'll for all your help

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8