Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
smileygirlmel86
AF Newbie

Duplicate Resin parts Casting Kit suggestions?

Hi Everyone,

I know next to nothing about modeling. I am attempting to purchase a resin casting kit for my husband for Christmas, but I have no idea where to start. He said it would be nice to have one so he can make duplicate parts. Can anyone offer any suggestions on kits that would be good for model building?

Thanks guys!
smileygirlmel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Re: Duplicate Resin parts Casting Kit suggestions?

Your husband will be happy once he opens this gift. Although if you can offer some more information about him it might be easier to answer. How long has he been modeling for, does he have any experience with resin casting, and how big are the parts he is replicating? Without making it obvious any more info would help us out more.

But with what you have mentioned, i would go with an alumilite. As its the main resin, and rtv silicone i use. If its his first test trial. This starter set would be nice.
http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....tegory=Starter Kits&Name=Mini Casting Kit

Same, but a larger set.
http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....tegory=Starter Kits&Name=Super Casting Kit

And if hes asking for a big setup buy them individually. BTW I've always had good experience with alumlite. And do remember they have a shelf life. Hope this helped at least a bit.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Lambo003
AF Enthusiast

Since he's new at casting I would go with a Urethane mold rubber such as this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RTV-Urethane-Mol...item1c146e094d

Simple 50/50 mixing involved (no scale needed for mixing)

It has a quick de-mold time, works with all resins and is very inexpensive.

Perfect for duplicating parts.

Additionally, Pick up some Universal Mold Release in the spray can (Alumilite's works awesome. I never cared much for the brush on mold release), Alumilite Mold clay (or any other sulfur free clay) and some of their resin (if you have a Hobby Lobby close by you can get resin dirt cheap with the 40% off coupon from their website)

The reason I suggest the urethane is due to the ease in mixing and the price. Ya just get more for your money and makes those inevitable mistakes sting a bit less.

Just don't forget that mold release and use it liberally. . .
Old 12-08-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
star21
AF Regular

You can also consider trying Smooth-On products: http://www.smooth-on.com/Getting-Sta...217/index.html The OOMOO silicone rubber has a simple 1:1 ratio.
star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Rasputen
AF Newbie

Micro-Mark also sells a kit - they pretty much buy other mfrs stuff and re-sell it, but their Rapid One-to-One RTV silicone is pretty easy to use.
Rasputen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

I would buy the smallest set (by volume) possible. Casting supplies have a limited shelf life- a year or so. I've never managed to buy resin and use more than maybe 1/3 of it before it goes bad. Most 'casting kits' are intended for making larger items (say baseball size). In car modeling, there's rarely the need to cast something much larger than cocktail olive or AA battery size.

I would happily spend $20 every year or so on a kit with 8oz of RTV, and 8oz each of a two part resin. But I never can get through a litre of the stuff.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
smileygirlmel86
AF Newbie

Wow guys thanks for all the suggestions! My husband has been building for most of his life; 25+ years. He posts on here all the time, Hawk312 is his name username.
I don't believe he has any experience with resin casting but I'm really not sure. The starter kit mentioned above looks nice.
Thanks again guys for all the help! Happy Holidays!
smileygirlmel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
I would buy the smallest set (by volume) possible. Casting supplies have a limited shelf life- a year or so. I've never managed to buy resin and use more than maybe 1/3 of it before it goes bad. Most 'casting kits' are intended for making larger items (say baseball size). In car modeling, there's rarely the need to cast something much larger than cocktail olive or AA battery size.

I would happily spend $20 every year or so on a kit with 8oz of RTV, and 8oz each of a two part resin. But I never can get through a litre of the stuff.
The trick is to have several 32mm film plastic canisters. When your resin is about to go off, mix some up and pour several "plugs". You then several round blanks for machining/carving/sanding (tires, wheel rims, etc. not to mention non-round parts)...

+1 for the Smooth-On products.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:55 AM   #9
garnet_garnet
Oldtimer Newbie

this is the kit i just used, first time use, it was easy and parts came out pretty decent
noticed that work time is short, maybe some pin holes to fill in parts afterwards
good kit for the $

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMazar View Post
Your husband will be happy once he opens this gift. Although if you can offer some more information about him it might be easier to answer. How long has he been modeling for, does he have any experience with resin casting, and how big are the parts he is replicating? Without making it obvious any more info would help us out more.

But with what you have mentioned, i would go with an alumilite. As its the main resin, and rtv silicone i use. If its his first test trial. This starter set would be nice.
http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....tegory=Starter Kits&Name=Mini Casting Kit

Same, but a larger set.
http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....tegory=Starter Kits&Name=Super Casting Kit

And if hes asking for a big setup buy them individually. BTW I've always had good experience with alumlite. And do remember they have a shelf life. Hope this helped at least a bit.
garnet_garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
Plumberboy
AF Newbie

Hi Smileygirl,
I sent you a personal message.
Plumberboy is offline   Reply With Quote