Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
sea-doin-it
AF Newbie

1996 Ranger 2.3L Code P1443

I have read many posts regarding the P1443 code but I believe I have an unusual case.

Back in 2001 or so my truck ran out of gas, no low fuel light or anything, It just ran out. At that time the check engine light came on and stayed on ever since. The truck has ran great ever since. About a year ago I had codes ran on it and it came up with the P1443 and I began my research. I have found many people who claim to replace the "Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor Assembly" and it will solve it. This is where it's going to get strange. You know when you top off the fuel tank and if you fill er up to much gas comes out the fill tube? Well, it didn't come out of the fill tube this time, the pump clicked off at $18.25, I figured I would fill it to an even .50 or even up to the next dollar. However before I could get to $18.50 I saw gas going all over the ground, none of it coming from the fill tube. I got down and it was coming from all over the fuel tank.

I checked the fuel tank the best I could and can find no obvious leaks or evidence of gas theives, and I have a locking gas cap. I didn't think about it until tonight wen reading more about the error code P1443 and found someone who said "their is another valve or sensor on top of the gas tank in this system". Could that valve/sensor on the top of my gas tank be the culprit in my case?

I also have noticed that when I go to take my gas cap off, I don't get the gush of air sound when removing it. Also one of the former clues to fixing this mentioned a change in pressure on fuel something or the other.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Allen Eddington
sea-doin-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
brivers
AF Regular

Re: 1996 Ranger 2.3L Code P1443

If I had to guess, I'd say that at one time the air pressure in your empty tank blew one of your emission hoses off the top of the tank. That would explain the code and the gas spillage. I have a 97, the light that comes on for low gas is "check gauge" and its not very bright.
brivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
sea-doin-it
AF Newbie

I don't have a car lift, just ramps, jack and jackstands... I couldn't really get under enough to see any hoses on the top of tank, or if I can drop the tank. Seems troublesome. Is it possible to just remove the truck bed bolts and slide over enough to access the top of my gas tank?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
sea-doin-it
AF Newbie

I lifted the bed off my truck today to inspect the top of my gas tank for the possibility of a blown off hose. All connections looked fine. However another obvious problem caught my eye. The fuel filler hose was all cracked up (about 5 of them) and you could tell that gas had come out, see attached picture. I have begun looking for this tube and found that I almost would have to buy an assembly, but my next problem is finding the correct one. I checked the parts stores that I could here and none had it. I was reffered to the dealership. I checked online and everything I can find says this will NOT fit the step-side beds (That I DO Have). Any suggestions would be helpful, so that I don't have to make a trip to the dealership.

Thanks,
sea-doin-it

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2.3l , ford , gas , p1443 , ranger
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier