Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Tech Articles and Writeups
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Aces0vr8s
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aces0vr8s Send a message via Yahoo to Aces0vr8s
How to put 6x9's in 2g back speaker location

This will take approximatly 1 1/2 hours and will NOT require you to beat in your fender well like many people believe it will.

First off you will need the following tools,
1. A Phillips screwdriver
2. A 10mm socket 6in extension and ratchet.
3. A Drill With a bit sligltly smaller then your bolts/screws.
4. A Angle grinder (could use a razor blade but it would be alot harder)

And the following supplies
5. 4 Exectrical slide on things to hook the wires to your speakers.
6. 4 small bolts. Or self tapping screws.

Steps

Step 1.
Remove your back seat, to do this id recomend only removing the bottem half of your back seat by pulling the pull tabs in the middle of each side then lifting the bottem half out.

Step 2. Un do the 3 screws holding the big plastic side cover on then GENTLY (if you just grab it and start yanking you WILL crack the plastic) pop the pop tabs out and remove the plastic cover from the car.

Step 3. Remove the speaker from the holder and unclip the wires from the pack.

Step 4. Use your 10mm socket to undo the 3 bolts holding the Speaker Holder in place and remove it from the vehicle.

Step5. Take your angle grinder and grind the big ridge off the top of the speaker holder then grind the speaker box out untill your 6x9 sits in it and sits level.

This is how It should look when your done compared to how it was to start with.

6. Place your 6x9 in the holder and mark the spots where your bolts need to go, obvioulsy they no longer fit in the same holes since you grinded out the old bolt holes.

7. Remove 6x9

8. Drill a hole on each of your marks

9. Place speaker back in Holder and screw down (Note: If you used a bit slightly smaller then your bolts/screws this could be a little rough getting them in since it will be cutting new threads just take your time and dont over tighten) If you used bolts put a nut on the back and tighten to a snug fit.

10. Return to your car and cut the factory clip off your speaker wires.

11. Strip the wires, if you do not have a wire stripper use a lighter burn the end then grab it and pull it off.

12. Put the new slide over clips on and smach the end so it holds the wires in. If you have pliars Id use them but there not required use your imagination.

13. Slide the sliders over the speaker terminals.

14. Put the speaker back in place and tighten the holder back down.

15. Replace your panel

16. Start at step 2 on other side of car.

No Damage to Inner fender

If you require any more pictures or closer pictures to see details please PM me or reply here and I will post the rest. Thanks hope this helps.

I will be putting 6x9's in my doors Soon so expect a guide for that, Although it will be far more complicated from what I can tell.
Aces0vr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse
Re: Guide: How to put 6x9's in 2g back speaker location.

Good write up. On some speakers dont you have to beat in some of the metal behind the speaker. I know some speakers have bigger magnets than others.

Moved to the Tech section.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Tech Articles and Writeups