Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Interiors
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #16
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Yay for fixes!

Awesome. Good to hear it... or not hear it [rattle].

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #17
cantgo2fast
AF Regular

Re: Rattling Window

Ya it sounds like my whole damn car is shaking itself to pieces when im on the highway
Evo3 16g @18psi/walbro190/Greddy type S Bov/Dejon Intake/Bushur 3in DP/Custom 3in catback exhaust/FIC 750s/innovateLC1 WBO2/DSMLINK v2.5/Axxis ultimate pads/Aeromotive AFPR/ETS FMIC/Tein SS coilovers/ACT 2600/6puck/ACT flywheel/

Enkei RPF1 (15.6lbs) with 245/17 Dunlop Star Specs

Wish list:
CAMS
cantgo2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
vzfox
AF Regular

Re: Final How To On Rattle Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz
95 eclipse windows slide up and down on 2 metal guides, approximately 2mm thick. rattle in the window comes from the front guide. to get to the source of rattle, please, follow this link:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...ow-rattle.html
in this article, you are advised to "squeeze a PLASTIC clip". "brass looking things", or rusty in our case, are, actually, window brackets, sliding on the guides. they have U shaped part that encompasses the guide AND THE OPPOSITE END HOLDING THE WINDOW.
to provide smooth and no-lubricant operation, U shaped part of the bracket has delryn inserts inside, called "clips" in the article. delryn is a well known low friction and fairly durable plastic. it is, also, very brittle. please, do not squeeze the inserts/clips, or you are chancing snapping them in a half, like it happened on my car. fortunately, i only cracked it and it is still funtional. but if you break it completely, that winndow will go loose on the guide completely.
instead of squeezing the insert/clip, i took the whole bracket to the envil, sattled it on the narrow end, and hammered on the U-shaped part of the bracket, to bring METAL sides of it together. that brought delryn inserts together too, without damaging them.
you might, as well, squeeze METAL part of the bracket in a vise. i squeezed it to the point that delryn tips where snug against each other. even with that, plastic gives some, and allows bracket to slide back on the guide. if you over snugged the metal, you can spread it some with a flathead screwdriver.
helpful tip: when reinstalling the bracket, slide it on the window bolt 1st, letting it hang down loosely. reinstall the 10mm nut, tighten with fingers, then grasp the bracket and forth the U-shaped part of it, with delryn insert, onto the guide. the snugger it goes on the better it'll hold. then, tightene that nut with a wrench.
we just did both windows in our 95 eclipse. i had to remove the driver side bracket twice, as i did not get it snug enough from the get go.
i wouldn't call it 5 minute job, it's very awkward to get to the nut/bracket, but about 15 min it is.

also, while we had door panels off, we covered them anywhere we could with polyurathane foam, as advised in that article. and installed new 210W Fusion speakers. NO rattles of any kind now.

I followed the steps here and in the link provided. Squeezed together the U shaped bracked and put everything back together. Absolutely NO help at all. The window rattles around when you shut the door and while driving down the road. The window either has to be totally up or totally down to stop the rattle. It feels as if the drivers window is just really really loose. I looked at everything while the door panel was off and nothing seems to be missing or coming off any of the railings.

Is there suppose to be something in the back side of the door, near the door handle, that holds the window? That is where it seems to be loose and "rattlie".
vzfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #19
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

regretfully, i can't agree better. with what we've done to our eclipse, we have fixed the pass side completely.
the driver side still rattles, just much less. before it was loud banging noise, now it's much more muffled. the only thing i can blame it on is either worn or bent felt window pad, one that runs along the upper door edge. there's sizeable gap between it and window itself.
honestly, i am almost positive there's not much you can do about it. think this way: this door, probabaly because it shares body with spider version, has no upper window guides/frame. so, window is suspended much so only at the 2 bottom points, while being very wide and sizeable piece of glass. mechanically speaking, it is very hard to keep something like this steady all the time. to me, it is another example of a flawed design or one that keeps repair shops/dealerships happy for yrs to come. planned obsolence, ya know.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 08-17-2008 at 02:06 PM.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #20
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

Re: Final How To On Rattle Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzfox
I followed the steps here and in the link provided. Squeezed together the U shaped bracked and put everything back together. Absolutely NO help at all. The window rattles around when you shut the door and while driving down the road. The window either has to be totally up or totally down to stop the rattle. It feels as if the drivers window is just really really loose. I looked at everything while the door panel was off and nothing seems to be missing or coming off any of the railings.

Is there suppose to be something in the back side of the door, near the door handle, that holds the window? That is where it seems to be loose and "rattlie".

no fear, help is here!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newb...#post151584151
Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #21
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

ok, i have just done the repair discribed in my previous post.
of course, there's rtick to everything
1. i have no idea why i had to undo all the nuts mentioned, it adjusts just fine without doing so.
2. the hex screws to be adjusted work the opposite way - they tighten the support pads when turned counter-clockwise. what happens, the brackets start coming out of the nuts, against the window. nuts self-tighten while doing so, so i had to hold them with a tip of my finger. then i have figured that the easiest way to adjust it is to loosen nut a turn - turn hex screw a turn. it all locks by itself, but less messing with it, just loosen - turn, loosen - turn.
absolutely check how window slides up and down in the guides. it's very easy to overtighten, and possibly burn the motor later.
oh, and picture tells to adjust the hex screws in the front only but, actually, there's another set of those towards the rear of the door, it will rattle if not adjusted.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #22
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

well, i guess, every brag ends in failure, at least - in my life.
i had to back up all adjustments done to stop that rattle. what it ended up with was a gap between the rearmost edge of the glass and pillar B weatherstrip.
pretty much, to get it back to tight condition, i had to let that window rattle again.
IMHO, it's dumm design and is not fixable after some point. the only way i can see it fixed realistically is to have the outside glass weather seal replaced with a new one, more elastic and pushing window inward.
total disappointment.
i had none of that trouble on our 94 model. this one appears to be designed with some perverted intention to put everything into wrong places and as hard to correct as possible. they must have some sadists in design team.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Interiors