Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #46
4Wheel
AF - Advisor

Re: Accelerator sticking again!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH32552
4Wheel......
Yes, this is a lot of verbiage (new word?)
I don’t know how new of word it is but it’s a "cool" word, and it’s usage fits very well here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH32552
#1. I don't want another throttle body out of a junk yard. My car only has 149k and most of the cars in a junk yard are "junk" or they wouldn't be there.
There is no delaminating of any part of this throttle body. Besides, how can a brass plate delaminate? Also, I have never been able to make the TB stick intentionally... with or without the cables connected...In other words, I cannot replicate the problem.

So in this picture of your throttle body, there is quite a bit of delamination. You are correct the throttle body is not itself delaminating.
The butterfly, (throttle plate), isn’t made of brass, it is plated steel and the plating is coming off.
You see that near were the shaft enters the throttle body and on the shaft as well!
Brass is very soft and would not work very well as a throttle plate as it would distort, bend and wear very fast. It is the same reason why I recommended the use of a "soft" brass brush, yes brass brushes come in stiff bristle form also.

The shaft is coated with a non metal coating that is also shown in this picture to have been removed by the use of strong chemical solvents.
I agree with you, if you don’t know what to look for at the wrecking yard don’t source your parts there.
Unfortunately your throttle body looks worse then most of the TB’s in the “junk yard” yours has been trashed and it is junk now. It matters not how many miles are on the car all it takes is one mistake of the use of the wrong solvents and poof history.
By the looks of it this has been going on for some time.
Hope your problem is solved, and good luck.

Last edited by 4Wheel; 09-03-2008 at 04:13 PM.
4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #47
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Look at the 'before' pics and you'll see the "delamination" was present before she cleaned it...using a toothbrush no less...so very unlikely she did it then.

The butterfly valve shaft does have a black coating, possibly a PTFE type, but where it matters is where it mates with the TB itself. If that is worn away or lost, the excessive tolerance won't allow the shaft to be positioned properly to allow the butterfly plate to rotate freely. Add in wear and aluminum galling and binding may occur.

Unless the solvents used had an acidic component, the "brass" plating would not be removed. Some engine degreasers employ organic acids (acetic or citric) as well as solvents to help loosen the caked on grime. These kinds usually have advice on the can to not spray onto intake components for good reason...it can harm the aluminum bodies as well if overused and not rinsed off thoroughly.

My only other thought is that the CC's servo motor may still have crud in it. You don't show any gap in between the CC's actuator and the black lever it presses against. Any binding in the motor could also hold the throttle open slightly. You might either try to disconnect the little shaft or loosen the adjustment so that there is a 1/4" gap (as it appears on my Cam) before it contacts the lever.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #48
4Wheel
AF - Advisor

Couldn't have said it better.
The location of the delamination lends to the solvent being sprayed from the outside and traveling down the shaft to the inside of the throttle body.
This was probably done long before she tried to clean it initially.
4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #49
JH32552
AF Regular

JDM & RIP,

It's been well over a week since I replaced the coolant temperature sensor. I have driven the car in many different driving situations ie. short drives, long drives, shutting the warm car off for 15 minutes and restarting, shutting the car off 30 minutes and restarting, and I haven't had a problem in over 200+ miles.
JH32552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #50
jdmccright
The RustBuster

All that crap I said about the TB and CC...forget it...its the coolant temperature sensor. Glad you found the problem, Jackie, & hats off to your mechanic for giving a correct diagnosis...sounds like he's a keeper!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #51
RIP
AF -Advisor

Sounds like you got it. Your perseverence has paid off. Congrats! One lesson learned for everyone could be always check for codes when you have an engine related problem, light or no light.

Got a hunch you're right on the two problem deal. All your cleaning helped. The ECT was the primary problem.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #52
LyricLover
AF Newbie

Talking Re: Accelerator sticking again!!!!!

Yay! I am so happy you have fixed it!
BTW, I am not a dude, LOL. Daughter of a mechanic.

The temp sensor was a great educational moment for me. :-)
I will never forget it!

Things like that make me crazy!
Congrats :-)
LyricLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #53
JH32552
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricLover
Yay! I am so happy you have fixed it!
BTW, I am not a dude, LOL. Daughter of a mechanic.

The temp sensor was a great educational moment for me. :-)
I will never forget it!

Things like that make me crazy!
Congrats :-)
Thanks Lyric Lover.....
It was driving me crazy too, but...... I really think the problem is fixed. I have driven the car over 600 miles now and it idles perfectly! Sorry if we thought you were a "dude!" Obviously, females can fix cars too, huh????

Jackie (an Adirondack gal)
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #54
JH32552
AF Regular

Hey Guys n Gals....

I would just like to update you all on this acceleration problem. It has been over 4 years, and almost an additional 40k miles and the problem hasn't resurfaced! I would say "we" fixed it!

You guys ROCK!
Jackie

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista