Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Interiors
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
RCMakita4
AF Newbie

painting interior question?

i want to change the color of my interior dash and door panels etc...
Ive seen plenty of cars where the dash and everything stay the same shape but they are smooth and glossy. I was wondering how i go about this? Just sand and put body filler over it? Then paint and clear coat to get that glossy texture? I dont want that stock texture, i want the smooth glossy finish.

Also is there a guide or anything to show me where all the dash parts are connected for removal?
thanks alot

98 GS 5 speed
RCMakita4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

Re: painting interior question?

Removing the dash is the biggest pain in the ass ever. There are a million hidden screws and bolts for it... As far as the smooth and glossy look. Most of those are fiberglass parts that are smooth like that. The glossy look is from painting it as you would the outside of the car. Primer, paint, and clear... But you gotta do it right or it'll look like shit if ya mess it up during any coat...
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Black99GST
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Black99GST

...Flat black interior FTW...
Black99GST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
RCMakita4
AF Newbie

so to achieve a look like this i have to lay fiberglass over top all the parts. Then primer, paint, clear coat? I thought they used body filler over top and then primer, paint clear? Or would primer make a solid enough layer that when finished you'd have a smooth surface?

98 GS 5 speed
RCMakita4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
gthompson97
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97

That picture above is just paint laid over the stock interior, it's not smooth like a car if you look at it in person. To achieve the look above, all you need is interior paint (Dupont makes some). Just pull the interior, clean it VERY, VERY well, prep it (I suggest Bulldog Adhesive Promoter), and then spray it with a paint gun. If you're going for the perfectly smooth like a show car look, you'll need to put TONS and TONS of hours in fiberglassing, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, painting, clearing, sanding, buffing, waxing, etc.

I painted the interior of my RS like that with Dupont Vinyl Color. Just make sure you clean the interior well, otherwise it will turn out like shit.

97 Eclipse GST

gthompson97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
TDIBABY
AF Newbie

sevral years ago i painted my interior white/ silver i used just regular krylon glossy spray cans.. it worked great and never chipped for about 3 years..just hard to keep clean. lol.. other than that about 3 years about 3 years ago i had it repainted when i painted my car..my interior had to be wet-sanded and repainted with the same black paint they used on the exterior of my car except they put a flexable additive in the paint and clear mixture so.. it looks alot better than the glossy spray paint and its tough the flexible additive is because certain parts liek the door panels and dash and airbag parts can be moved bent or whatever without damaging the paint.... also liek said b4 they sell interior paint in spraycans... i have a friend who painted his accord interior..and it looks just like if it came that way stock .. its really clean .. if i would have known about interior paint i would have did that the 1st time. lol..but oh well im still happy with my car..
TDIBABY is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Interiors