Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 06:05 AM   #31
Purpura Delujo
AF Enthusiast

Talk about Rice Deluxe! I dont like them at all, the coupe looks alright but, bloody hell! Its like the "Honduh" thread that Pman posted.
If Revell have had so much success in 1/25th why would they want to change? I have had no problems with molding on Revells at all, I think its as good or better then Tamiya. New AMT kits are nice aswell, if Revell and AMT are so "crap" compared to Tamiya why is Revell one of the biggest model makers around?
Maybe its because they provide ALOT more choice when you buy your model, and also because they make just about everything under the moon. They give you double the amount of parts then a Tamiya kit aswell.
I say to all of the people who whine about Revell & AMT, if you don't like them...Shutup, stop telling us your crap and keep buying your Tamiyas!! If you dont like Revells then leave them alone, don't buy their unique "lowrider or tuner" series and just keep buying stock cars & normal racing cars from Tamiya...
Stop giving Revell crap, they are there making models, they give people jobs, they give the public modelling society something to do and most importantly..Revell are there from their choice, if they decided to shut down then just imagine the amount of kits we would all loose access to.
Go pick on someone your own size!

I'm sick of this Tamiya favouring crap!
Purpura Delujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 08:20 AM   #32
Jonno
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Jonno
I have to tell ya, You all spent all that time typing up those arguments, and I didn't even read all of them.

It all could of been summed up by saying, Revell Doesn't want to be the same scale as the Japanese Companies. Because If you were so fussed about that, you would either only buy Revells kits or only japanese kits.
But of course, Revell Is cheaper, and is more common in places where people don't wanna buy Japanese kits, for their price tag. But then again, I have heard that People in Asia find it somewhat difficult to find Revell kits (I may be wrong). So in that case, looks like the Japanese companies have the edge on the market.

I'm not overly bothered buy the difference in the scale, in some cases, there is only a few millimetres the difference. And as I said before, at least the wheels will look bigger and the aftermarket exhaust tips will look fatter.

-Holden Berlina Turbo, RB30ET.
-Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Jonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:31 PM   #33
Purpura Delujo
AF Enthusiast

Yeah but even if they can't find Revells or have difficulty finding them doesn't mean they can't order off the internet. Besides, Asian modelers probably like the Rice cars and Imports in their country, not the Muscle cars and Lowriders etc from America.
You buy models of cars you like, and if you live in a country full of Imports, you go out and buy models of those because thats what you see, thats what you get influenced by and its what is the most popular in your area. Notice how most American modelers have a big collection of Musclecars?
Oh well I still like Musclecars more, but living in a country with all sorts of cars around you doesn't make it easier to pick a side to go with.
In my opinion, its all a waste of time, people who fight about Revells and Tamiyas are fighting more so for the brand, not the models they make. I mean it in ways of quality etc, I think the biggest mistake that Revell made is moving their models to China to get molded and casted. That is stupid! The old Revell kits that are made in the US are very good, they have nice detail and they have extremely tough plastic compared to other brands.
This is only what I get, not others. I also think that it doesn't matter at all about molding (flash & molding lines) because you prepare your model before you paint it anyway, if you get models with less molding mistakes your just lazy , I think I'll just stick to Revell for now.
Purpura Delujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 12:41 AM   #34
Honoturtle
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Honoturtle
Not bad!!! I'll probably get 1 or 2 of each! Throw them into my display case! But we'll see!

~ 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe Sprinter ~
"Oh what a feeling.- Toyota
Honoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 05:58 AM   #35
Jonno
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Notice how most American modelers have a big collection of Musclecars?
No :finger:

Quote:
but living in a country with all sorts of cars around you doesn't make it easier to pick a side to go with.
I feel your pain.

But just one thing, you have a RX-7, and prefer to build muscle cars?
Sorry, I just don't see them mixing...

-Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Old 10-20-2002, 07:22 AM   #36
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Notice how most American modelers have a big collection of Musclecars?
Yeah, I agree-because that's what's familiar and they were the coolest cars around back then. And just like Hondas and Toyotas (or anything from Japan, Inc.) now, they were very cheap and reliable used cars, easy to work on too. I went through a muscle car phase, I bought most of the kits and built many of them, and there were so many good magazines covering the subject that it made it easy to make great models of them. The whole scenario may look silly anywhere else in the world, our love of SUV's is even worse. Let's see, would I rather drive a truck or a sports car??? (Look at my name and you'll find the answer).

If you go to a car show/cruise night here, you'll see many amazing restored muscle cars. Hey, there's even a guy locally w/a Valiant Charger (w/a hemi 6??!!) and a Valiant Ute...that gets some head scratching going on here.

People definitely build what they're familiar with and what interests them...and the car shows here in the US will look a lot different when the guys w/all the street rods and muscle cars have died off and the gray-haired dudes with kids old enough to be building their own cars will be showing off their restored Tuners are talking about the good old days! It will happen...
ZoomZoomMX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 07:26 AM   #37
Jonno
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
and the car shows here in the US will look a lot different when the guys w/all the street rods and muscle cars have died off and the gray-haired dudes with kids old enough to be building their own cars will be showing off their restored Tuners are talking about the good old days! It will happen...
I thought it already does

-Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Old 10-20-2002, 07:50 AM   #38
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I thought it already does
No, I haven't seen any gray-haired guys w/restored tuners telling their kids how good the old days were! In the car-show food chain, the street rodders have grandchildren, and many of the the muscle cars/street machines crowd have kids old enough to be driving.

The tuners here are mostly driven by teens/20's. To a guy like me (42), I have to watch it when I call people in their 20's "kids"! To me I mean no disrespect at all (I'm just a big kid myself) but you never know who might take that as an insult. I dig tuners 'cause I've seen everything when it comes to street rods/street machines/customs/muscle cars. I dig seeing something new. And I was driving a tuner of sorts (Honda) 23 years ago...

I wonder how many family feuds have started when Dad's got a muscle car/street machine (or minivan/SUV), and Junior's got a hopped-up Honda?

Now for the clairvoyant, if you drive a tuner..what are your kids going to be interested in driving???? 10 to 1 it won't be a tuner.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:45 AM   #39
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to Murco
Quote:
Originally posted by ZoomZoomMX-5

The car shows here in the US will look a lot different when the guys w/all the street rods and muscle cars have died off and the gray-haired dudes with kids old enough to be building their own cars will be showing off their restored Tuners are talking about the good old days! It will happen...
Wow, what a thought....
Can you imagine a huge restoration aftermarket for Civics? Classic Civic, 1st Gen Civic, Year One Civic, etc... Well, that's assuming the cars actually hold-up the interest when the "kids" get older and can afford something else. I don't see Honda fans jumping into GM or Ford products, but I do see them going for BMW or Audi. IMHO, once you've driven a good RWD or AWD car there is no going back....
Old 10-21-2002, 12:14 PM   #40
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I don't see Honda fans jumping into GM or Ford products, but I do see them going for BMW or Audi. IMHO, once you've driven a good RWD or AWD car there is no going back....
How true, and how sad at the same time. There's simply no excuse for the domestic companies to continue doing business the way they have. Why GM/Ford/Chrysler cannot make cars that are as desireable to own over the long run is purely economic. They pinch pennies and beat up on their suppliers and then cry foul when their cars can't compete w/the Japanese. My gauge of how good a car really is can be seen after it's 10 years old. Is it still in good shape? How many repairs have been required? Is it still worth anything?

Those questions mean more to me than how attractive it is when it's new. Or how cheap it is to buy...down the road it might cost far more than a car that's much cheaper to operate and has decent resale value. Sad to say, most any new domestic car in the same price range as a Toyota or Honda isn't worth nearly as much, or in nearly the same shape, after it's 10 years old. I remember in the past year reading about a comparison between a 1986 Accord and a 1986 Lincoln Town Car. In the beginning, the Town Car was priced 2-3 times that of the Accord. Looking at current values, the Honda is worth quite a bit more than the Town Car. That's pretty sobering, is it not? And a fairly accurate representation of reality.

Don't be surprised to see Honda and Toyota offer more RWD and AWD models in the future to stave off the exodus to BMW/Audi when the buyers are ready to upgrade.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:49 PM   #41
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to Murco
Quote:
Originally posted by ZoomZoomMX-5

Don't be surprised to see Honda and Toyota offer more RWD and AWD models in the future to stave off the exodus to BMW/Audi when the buyers are ready to upgrade.
If they offer more V6's and V8's along with that RWD/AWD I'll be banging on the door! Imagine the new Altima with RWD instead of the awful torque-steer. That was the only reason I passed on the car in June. My 1999 Alero GLS sealed GM's fate with me - never again.

Hey, what was this thread originally about anyway?!
Old 11-07-2002, 11:47 PM   #42
integra818
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to integra818 Send a message via Yahoo to integra818
REVELL CIVICS: I'm gonna put all my revell civics on the same shelf as the itr's so they kinda blend in, as soon as I finish my curent integra, you know, the KIcker1_solo beater, yeah that car, I'll buy the civic and get started on that... then CIVIC COMPETITION!!!!!!!!:flash:
integra818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 02:46 PM   #43
fwdfreak
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to fwdfreak
Quote:
Originally posted by integra818
REVELL CIVICS: I'm gonna put all my revell civics on the same shelf as the itr's so they kinda blend in, as soon as I finish my curent integra, you know, the KIcker1_solo beater, yeah that car, I'll buy the civic and get started on that... then CIVIC COMPETITION!!!!!!!!:flash:
rice talk kill me
Old 11-08-2002, 05:40 PM   #44
supratuner
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to supratuner Send a message via Yahoo to supratuner
i cant wait they will blend in with all my cars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waiting.jpg (30.4 KB, 97 views)
supratuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 06:11 PM   #45
integra818
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to integra818 Send a message via Yahoo to integra818
Quote:
Originally posted by memphiz

rice talk kill me

How do you know it's gonna be a ricer?:finger:

Did I mention I'm gonna build one STOCK, and one decently fixed up? I hate ricers, cuz theres alot around where I live, and the last thing I wana be called is a ricer:finger:
integra818 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling