Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 09:34 AM   #31
sidler73
AF Regular

You asked Toybolla ...real "dyno numbers" cost real money$$$

Info: initial run 125 baseline HP 1998cc 3-SFE 155lbs compression at 9.2:1
-Dry sump $$$
-15 lbs engine vacuum
- remote water circulation at 80litres/min
-Hybrid HKG ignition
-Rewelded re-cut one off IN& Ex cams .345 lift huge 310 EX. duration
- now 190lbs @ 12:1
-JE pistons (each C.A.D.) gas ported $$$
- One off intake $$$
-Custom one off fuel log
This list just goes on and on BUT these are some of the mods.
NO BODY on the street has the time or resources money or technology….to accomplish most of what we have had to do to make Hp.
I have brought the weight of my car down to 1600lbs (just on the edge of the rules)
Multiple mods and Naturally aspirated, same displacement, three header designs later...mutiple fuel sytems tried....now 185hp at the crank....no 15 % added or 25 or 30 for drivetrain loss...etc...etc..
Over $3300 now invested just to conform to rules of “stock”(not including one minute of my time) production N/A.
Quick example I took my car to "Ariens wheel dyno" for comparison. After making a dozen passes and more calculations than I care to repeat...they had my engine at 218 hp.....I remind you that in ONLY a range of 185hp they were off by 48hp......do you have any idea what it takes to make an extra 48 hp.....in reality another 1000$ or there about......
This summer "Mandrell dyno" set up a wheel dyno at a sponsored "Lucas Oil" short course event in Unadilla (New Berlin NY)....this time we made a whopping 223hp......these numbers are not even close....but on a wheel dyno you have a lot of factors NOT ACCOUNTED for: ambient temperature for ex...humidity...sea level....etc...etc... Then to top it off the operator "adjusts" the numbers to what he "feels" your drivetrain loss is adding 15- 35 % depending on his mood and numbers.
I do apologize that this breaks a lot of hopes and dreams for a lot of ppl.....but my engine and yours and anyone's HAS to be tested UNDER CONTROLLED CONDITIONS.....air, fuel, and engine temp, monitored and controlled when this is done on a crank dyno and the $money$ and time spent you have a realistic number created from the facts. I got 65 solid HP from hard work and technology on a motor that claims by other shops made “can’t be done”….Our team is 2003 O.O.R.A class 6 champs from hard work and a ton of money$$$ and countless hours. This is reality.

So, I agree that YOU can get HUGE numbers from your wheel dynos and by adding up all kinds of numbers that the manufacturer of this or that part claims.
Good luck with your future endeavors.
sidler73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:49 AM   #32
sidler73
AF Regular

Red face Magazine boy! This is some guy with a Camry in Ontario. NOt Bill gates cousin...LOL

Once again you are quoting magazines not reality.

LORD here is your TRD equipped camry

"http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0102scc_solara/"

"Our test car also included TRD's exclusive high-flow sport muffler, a Quickshift shortened shifter, stainless-steel brake lines, performance brake pads, rear anti-roll bar, custom lowering sport springs, Bilstein sport struts, a seven-piece polyurethane body kit, 17x7-inch TSW wheels on 225/45-ZR17 Toyo Proxes T1 Plus tires, front strut tie-bar and various TRD-inspired engine dress-up parts. It's enough to make your head spin; then again, so is the price tag: $10,000 and some change."
Yup I can see where "What ya Smoking?!? " would have 10,000 dollars to spend.....ONCE AGAIN it goes back to my post above....read it and you will once again see .....
Put your mind in motion and your mouth will 'hopefully' follow.
Buh Bye!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:34 PM   #33
Toyrolla
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Toyrolla Send a message via Yahoo to Toyrolla
Re: H-e-l-l-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidler73
You honestly have the fella's here at the shop laughing so hard ...one guy actually spilled his coffee.....Lord you guys are hilarious.!!
....not as much as we're laughing here, Dude....

The biggest joke on this post is that you actually THINK that 170HP is fast...Dear Lord Man....WAKE UP!!!

By the way, $3500....for a supercharger????

Oh Please!
Now who's reading magazines?

Think before you speak Sidler.
Looks like the only magazine reader here that you claim to be against is YOU.....

....come to the light Sidler.....come to the light......

Wow....you spent over $3300....on a 3SFE....and the most you've made was 223HP?

I give you credit for the horsepower gains you've made, but here's my question....

Why would you invest so much time, work, and MONEY on a 3S-FE that peaks at 223HP, when you could've went with a 3S-GTE that comes from the factory at 225 or 255 (depending on Gen) instead and get better results?

If you and "the fellas at the shop" knew your Toyotas like you say you do, you would know that the G type head is more performance oriented than the F type head, right off the bat.

I'm not even going to get into the logistics of the engine itself, it might be too much for you to absorb at this point...

Not laughing now, are we Boys?
Well, guess what....WE ARE....

Nobody can break it better than me.

88 I4 Slushie, 89 I4 5Sp, 89 V6 5Sp, 82 Corolla, 72 510, 88 Minitruck.

Last edited by Toyrolla; 10-21-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Toyrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:50 PM   #34
sidler73
AF Regular

Red face Boring and finished good luck!

Lord you still don't listen but since your buddy is listening we will give up on you.....your lack of maturity is showing through....I'm sure you will get over it when you have had a chance to put some years under your belt.
One last thing---and do try to listen here-- the only four cylinder that ever came from the factory with anywhere near 225 N/A hp is the quad four.....rules rules rules.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:32 PM   #35
Toyrolla
AF Regular

Re: Boring and finished good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidler73
Lord you still don't listen but since your buddy is listening we will give up on you.....your lack of maturity is showing through....I'm sure you will get over it when you have had a chance to put some years under your belt.
One last thing---and do try to listen here-- the only four cylinder that ever came from the factory with anywhere near 225 N/A hp is the quad four.....rules rules rules.

Sidler....I think it's you who does not understand.....

If I'm going to invest time, work and money for horsepower gains, I'm not going to spend over $3000 to make my 3S-FE range between 170-223HP. I'm going to get a 3S-GTE instead, THEN I will build from there....

For anything over a $3000 investment, why would I desire to go normal aspirated at such cost in the first place?

At some point, you're beating a dead horse by spending the same money that it would cost you to go forced induction.

If you so choose that route, more power to you, Dude.
It's your money, not mine....

So in response to your original post; for the money you've spent to get your 3SFE to peak at 223HP, I can go with a turbo solution and run 300HP, in my car, on the street.

Nice chatting with you, and by all means, Good Luck....

Old 10-21-2003, 03:58 PM   #36
sidler73
AF Regular

Done, over, finished, Capiche?

Ok ONE LAST TIME....I RACE CLASS 6 PRODUCTION N/A NATURALLY ASPIRATED....MY LORD MAN .... Like I said when you grow up and start to actually read(reading requires comprehending...I have NEVER ever made 223hp naturally aspirated 2.0liter I still make 185Hp) and listen, you start to develop some of the life skills required to get beyond little pics of cats and "dreamer" movie starlets.

Good luck with your future endeavors and your growing up.

Winner 2003 OORA Class 6
Winner "Most innovative automotive design, and engineering award 2003" "Lucas Oils" short course series.

At the last event we not only were bumped up to Mod-production, but finished third. In front of us were 2 Talon twin turbo AWD's. On top speed runs for the day we managed 3 mph higher then they did and they are claiming 260 hp......REALITY IS we know how to make good solid HP N/A and can run all day @ 7,400 rpm on a: stock rod, stock crank, stock piston, stock bore, stock stroke 2.0liter, 3SFE and run 133mph on long open straights FWD...in an 88 Camry shell.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:11 PM   #37
Toyrolla
AF Regular

I heard you the first time, but again, you're not hearing me...

I'm not spending all that money for such measly results, when I can get more. This is what I'm telling you.

Congrats on your accomplishments and good luck to you as well....

Old 10-21-2003, 05:11 PM   #38
jamesOC
AF Newbie

Unhappy WOW a lot of action on this thread

I have read through all the posts. I have to ask a couple of questions. Hey Sidler73, if I live near you, can we exhchange information...man I would love to see that car and your mods?
I checked out your pics on the community webshots page you put in....awesome man!
I am new to this site, I have a '99 Camry 4cyl. My previous car was a 91 4cyl. I took the car to a "hop up shop" I spent money on cold air intakes and injecters, also on exhaust and some sway technology(all in all about $2000)....but they never got any where near 185hp. I have seen your dynomometer sheets,(you included) and that is way out there. Even my current 2.2 is no where near that, simply amazing dude.
I know you other guys are telling stuff about superchargers and nitrous and turbos "forced induction" but having spent time (very little mind you) compared to Sidler73 trying to get Horsepower from my engine without having to go to turbo and engine life altering mods, I am curiuos about your intake and exhaust Dia. tube length collector size and details like that. You see guys this is where the trial and error comes in. When you buy a bolt on turbo you lose all that. I work at a Toyota dealer here in TO. and we "hear more stories" about this guy and that. We always offer to have them out at the drag strip to prove it but it never pans out. It is usually just street talk.
Oh one more thing you might want to be careful, if that guy(sidler73) ever builds a supercharged 4cyl with all the technology in it from his/hers 3s-FE it would make more than all of us put together.
FUN SITE!!!
jamesOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:50 PM   #39
sidler73
AF Regular

Sure no prob

Jus drop me a line on my email attached to this membership man....I would luv to show you the car...also we are at the www.speedoramashows.com and the January car show in Toronto at the OORA. booth.
Thank you for the kind words. I wonder if the "what ya smokin'" guy ever got his engine info.....ha ha. I think next time I will just ask how much he wants to $pend....and leave the rest of "explaining" hp concepts to turbo mag.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:33 PM   #40
Toyrolla
AF Regular

Re: WOW a lot of action on this thread

I'm sure if Sidler73 supercharged his engine, it would be interesting.

The supercharging idea has already been done before.

It's called a Comfort GTZ. Comes with a Supercharged 3S-FE.

Old 10-28-2003, 01:46 AM   #41
boogergrom
AF Newbie

Re: What Engine???

Quote:
Originally Posted by What ya Smoking?!?
can anyone tell me what engine could get a 2001 camry to 300hp or 400hp??....thx
That was What ya Smoking?!?'s question. he didnt ask how much horsepower he could get from a 3sfe in an offroad camry built to dirt track rules. he wanted to know what sorta power he could make on the street. he doesnt have to go with an engine that falls into a race class.

In my opinion a good engine to put into your car would be the 3sgte the JDM st205 puts out around 255hp at the crank.
check out www.fensport.co.uk for uk swaps that have been done with the 3sgte engine.

sidler, i dont know where u work but i'm guessing that u install neon lights, aluminium wings and vinyl graphics at ur "shop"??

i have seen lots of magazine articles from my home country New Zealand with high power 3sgte powered celicas and mr2s. In New Zealand you can pick up an early model mitsubishi evo for around 10 grand and then with a few thousand spent on exhaust, intercooler, turbo and boost upgrades run in the high 11s. Thats a 1/4 mile none of your 1/8 mile crap.

A 3sgte with exhaust, intercooler and boost would easily pick up around 40 hp depending on boost.

check out fensport for some of the power gains that have been made.
boogergrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:59 AM   #42
sidler73
AF Regular

Thumbs down Read First, Rant Never

Buddy you are so far behind the times!

The conversation is OVER, it IS DONE.....
you did not read beyond what your feeble
10,000 spending mind could comprehend.
YOu came in at the end and threw a 3 yr old
HISSY fit......
NEXT time READ, put your brain in motion and hopefully your fingers will follow Good lord.
JUST TO CLARIFY.....one of the fellas asked me what engine I had.....and I filled him in.
Placing the 3sgte in the CAMRY is not easy, nor is it fun....nor is it for the amateur to just "bolt in"....ONCE again this is the C-A-M-R-Y section......obviously you got lost between tokes thinking you were running the 1/4 faster than most street bikes or say a shelby after spending $15,000.
The question was NOT "How can I spend $15,000?"

I swear there should be a an age and reading pre-requisite before you blab about some car you thought you saw in some mag while you were toking !!!!
LOL
LOL
Old 10-28-2003, 06:09 AM   #43
sidler73
AF Regular

Talking Dream

A good spot for you !!!

www.flaming-pie.net/~frodis/moredreams.html
Ha ha LOL
Old 10-28-2003, 02:11 PM   #44
boogergrom
AF Newbie

the question was, what engine can i put in a 2001 camry to produce 300-400 hp
he did not ask what camry engine can i put into my camry to make 300-400hp he just said what engine. he didnt give a price range.There is room in a camry engine bay for a 3sgte, and it would be a lot simpler than someones suggestion of a straight 6 supra engine.
i live in new zealand. we get cheap imported cars straight from japan, unlike america where a pod filter on a vtec engine is performance we have had turbocharged japanese cars since around 1983. our emissions rules are not as harsh and we have less plastic and more grunt.
boogergrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:00 PM   #45
sidler73
AF Regular

Lightbulb Education

Here is an idea....find out whom you are talking to!

A: I do not now, nor have I ever lived in the US.
B: Emissions are not now nor have they ever been harsh or strict here.....my point stands
C: Please go back to the basics READ READ READ.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Ps. as Paul ANKA said dream dream dream dreeaaammm.
"he did not ask what camry engine can i put into my camry to make 300-400hp he just said what engine. he didnt give a price range.There is room in a camry engine bay for a 3sgte, and it would be a lot simpler than someones suggestion of a straight 6 supra engine. "

AT NO POINT WILL Putting a 3sGTE engine EVER BE simple, inexpensive or for the amatuer to attempt or try without thousands to spend.....Contact the "smokin" fella he will give you his $1000-$1500 "improvment budget" and you will GO BACK and READ how I told him to make his car go faster.

SUBJECT closed : over done bored!!!!

YOU GUYS LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista