Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 05:00 AM   #1
UncleGus
AF Newbie

Question Outrageous asking prices !!!

What is the deal with people asking up to 10 times and even more than what their cars sold for when they were new? I'm talking about the nothing special 4door cars, plain jane ie: non collector, not rare S/S etc. cars. I can see limited edition cars fetching a good price. But give me a break people some of these cars were probably lucky to get bought for their $3000 some odd dollar tag when new. I wish I still had my '70 LS5 Chevelle and my '68 RS/SS 396 Convertible Camaro that I had back in High School. I could get rich now. But I guess it's my fault that I didn't sit on them.

Thanks for letting me vent,

UncleGus
UncleGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:18 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Sometimes the demand for cars will support these prices,
Sometimes people just go fishing with a high price just to see whats out there and are not serious about selling.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:27 PM   #3
UncleGus
AF Newbie

Re: Outrageous asking prices !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
Sometimes the demand for cars will support these prices,
Sometimes people just go fishing with a high price just to see whats out there and are not serious about selling.

With some of their prices they must not want to sell them.

U.G.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:23 AM   #4
Land Shark
AF Newbie

If anyone has ever heard of independence Kansas you might want to search for this guy. When I was 15 I stopped by this guys place (dont know his name) to buy one of his Chargers. He had one 1967 Charger, two 1968's, and a 1971 Charger. I wanted the better of the two 68's, it had no interior, hardly had any floorpans, no motor, and rust eating through the front half of the body almost, haha. The guy told me he wanted almost $7000 for it...........I wanted to slap him for being stupid.

Not sure what he wants for them now, but a year ago my dad pointed him out to me in a grocery store and I asked the man about them and he said this "Ohhhh those old cars values just keep going up!!" in an incredibly excited tone.......... dont know why, all the same chargers are still sitting there.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:12 AM   #5
rav440
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Outrageous asking prices !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGus
What is the deal with people asking up to 10 times I wish i still had my '70 LS5 Chevelle and my '68 RS/SS 396 Convertible Camaro that I had back in High School. I could get rich now. But I guess it's my fault that I didn't sit on them.

UncleGus
well thats why they are so much $$$$$$$$$$$ you just said it . chances are the 2 cars you sold are long gone by now , which means thats 2 less than before .
there were only 117 of my 1973 road runner / GTX made . how many do you think are left ?

its not for sale but if it were id sell it for a hell of alot more then what it went for new in 73 .
Old 04-14-2004, 02:08 AM   #6
UncleGus
AF Newbie

Cool Car Rav440. I probably would do the same thing too. It's just a bitch being on the wanting side instead of the already have. Though I did just get a blast from the past by purchasing an '84 750 Turbo GPZ Kawasaki just like the one I bought new and got slammed by an IHC Scout 8-1/2 years ago while just cruising through town. So I am happy again, and this one will be even faster than the last.

UncleGus
Old 04-18-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
rav440
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Outrageous asking prices !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGus
Cool Car Rav440. I probably would do the same thing too. It's just a bitch being on the wanting side instead of the already have. Though I did just get a blast from the past by purchasing an '84 750 Turbo GPZ Kawasaki just like the one I bought new and got slammed by an IHC Scout 8-1/2 years ago while just cruising through town. So I am happy again, and this one will be even faster than the last.

UncleGus

thanks UncleGus , you can still find a car at a good price . all you have to do is be in the right place at the right time .
Old 05-13-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
packerfan
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to packerfan
This looks like a good thread to ask a question in. I posted a question on the dodge forum couple days back, must be slow over there. At any rate, i found a 68 coronet 500 in my father-in-laws backyard a while back. It belongs to his brother, my wifes uncle, who lives in ohio (im in new mexico). My wifes grandmother said he wanted to sell the car several years back, but couldnt settle on a price. This car has been sitting around since it was last registered in 89. The rear window is busted out, has been for a while, but they have a replacement. Its just the 318 version, but its got buckets seats and a console, auto trans on the floor. I think its AC too.the body isnt in too great of shape, it has rust cancer in the rear windshield channel(looks like that might be difficult). Looks like the driver side front had been hit as there was minor repair to it, but it has since rusted back out and the driver side rear panel, adjacent to the door jamb, is split open and rusty, as is the corresponding fender (replace). On to the point. What ido you people feel would be a reasonable offer for this car, i was just hoping he'd give it to me so it can stop dying out there in the elements, but, he's a mopar guy and ...well im sure. I dont want to embarrass myself offering him $200 for it, but he hasnt seen the car in 15 years so what difference would it make to him anyway? Anyway, if you made it this far in the post a reply would be appreciated. the $200 was just a random number used for purpose of illustration..

thanks

Packers in '04
packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:36 AM   #9
monty120
AF Newbie

my advice is take a value of a 68 cornet restored and subtract all the money and time you need to restore it, say the cars worth $15000 restored, you need 14,00 to restore it, then $200 is reasonable, but if you only need $2000 to restore it, then offer him more. -good luck
monty120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:22 PM   #10
nhstiger75
AF Regular

Values go up on old cars that are in decent shape. Some people want too much but some people don't know what they have. I know where I can get a '74 Plymouth Duster for $500. I saw a guy scrap a '71 Charger that was perfectly restorable. If I'd caught him in time I would have offered him $400. Maybe I'm just lucky/cursed to know where all these cars are and just not have the money to do what I want with them.
nhstiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 11:45 AM   #11
RandomTask
Banned

I'm trying to find some proof on this, I know i've read it somewhere...

In 1970 you could by a 440 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird with no radio, no AC, completely bare, for about $3700. Now you could turn around and sell that car for anywhere from $50k-$120k. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. I doubt you will see a Type-R honda appreciate like this...
RandomTask is offline   Reply With Quote