Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
jballs
AF Newbie

2000 Z24 engine cranks but won't start, stalls sometimes

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum but it really looks like a great source of information. Here is my problem. My wife's 2000 z24 wouldnt start the other morning. It would crank over just fine, but the engine wouldnt fire, not even a sputter. I tried to unhooking and rehooking the battery but the engine still wouldnt fire. I cranked it over till the battery started to die and then I hooked my charger up to it. The next time I tried to start it, it cranked for a few seconds and then started.

We took the car in to our local GM service shop and they couldnt find a thing wrong with it so we took it home.

Today, while driving to a friends house the engine abruptly killed as we pulled up to a stop sign. Then on the way home at highway speeds it kept stalling for a second (the rpm's would drop way down to nearly zero) and then restarting. I got the car home and had it idling in the driveway and it stalled. Then when I went to restart it, it would only crank over again but not fire. After a few tries, I got a message on the odometer that read "ERROR". After a few more tries, it started again. It is also idling a little rough and at only about 700rpm. Is this the normal idle rpm, it seems a little low to me.

I would REALLY appreciate any replies, advice, and information as to what my problem might be.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Jason
jballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:27 PM   #2
jballs
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Z24 engine cranks but won't start, stalls sometimes

Oh yeah, one other thing. Neither the check engine light nor the service light is on. However, when the car would stall and restart on the highway, the check engine light would flash on right when the car stalled and then go off immediately when the engine cut in again.
jballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:28 PM   #3
rl2620
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2000 Z24 engine cranks but won't start, stalls sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballs
Oh yeah, one other thing. Neither the check engine light nor the service light is on. However, when the car would stall and restart on the highway, the check engine light would flash on right when the car stalled and then go off immediately when the engine cut in again.
Hello, any luck with your problem. I'am having the same exact problem with my 1995 cavalier and nobody can figure it out.
rl2620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
thecommi
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to thecommi
You need to check the ignition system under the top cover of your motor. remove it with the 4 bolts clearly visible on top. When you get it off inspect the white plastic body you see underthere, that body holds your ignition coils. Remove the plastic carrage and look inside for any burn marks and to see if the little contacts are still there way in the bottom. Remove the spark plug boots and give them a good visual, make sure they are all intact and not cracked or melted. Next i would have somene Test the ignition module, also located on the underside of the cover. it sits under the ignition coils, fairly simple to remove. Chances are your ignition module is shot they are expensive, so make sure you check everythign else out first.
thecommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 06:47 PM   #5
Overtime
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Overtime
Re: 2000 Z24 engine cranks but won't start, stalls sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecommi
Chances are your ignition module is shot they are expensive, so make sure you check everythign else out first.
That's good advice on these these engines and an FYI: Sometimes the coils go out and take the ignition module with it. Try to fix it now, be cause if the Ignition module isn't bad and the coils are, you will have to replace both coils and module. The coils are roughly $30 each (2 ea for 4 cyclinder and 3 ea for 6 cylinder) and the module is almost $200 (these are part store prices). I just had to replace mine....
Overtime is offline   Reply With Quote