Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Dakota
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 09:12 AM   #1
crcook84
AF Newbie

Location of ABS plugs in 1998 Dodge Dakota

So, after being recommended a specific ABS scanner, I did some scans and the scanner appears to need to be plugged into some specific ABS plugs. In particular, the message is about a "Chrysler 16 pin connector". I did some research and found some information about a "Chrysler 12+8 Connector". However, before I spend anymore money on this, I want to know where either of these cables are supposed to plug into. I know the newer Chrysler/Dodge vehicles have a box referred to as a Security Gateway. However, the most I was able to figure out on my Dodge is that there is a plastic display behind the radio that has molded into it "SAE ABS\PC". I assume this is where the ABS on my particular vehicle is located. However, I can't find any plugs and I don't want to disassemble it any further until I know what I'm doing so that I don't get to a point where it becomes difficult to put it back together again.

So, anyone know where I'm supposed to plug the scanner into a 1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9L 6V Magnum?
crcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 11:21 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Location of ABS plugs in 1998 Dodge Dakota

I thought the 98 was OBDII? So ABS should read from that.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:55 AM   #3
crcook84
AF Newbie

Re: Location of ABS plugs in 1998 Dodge Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat View Post
I thought the 98 was OBDII? So ABS should read from that.
It does have an ODBII port. I can even detect a P1899 and a P0463 error code (of which I'm in the process of dealing with those problems). However, it's not reading the ABS from that port. As for the ABS having a problem, it was having a problem with the fact that the light would not go off at first. However, after spraying all the plugs and sockets connected to the brake and, what I assumed to be, ABS system with electrical contact cleaner, the ABS light now goes off after a few seconds when the ignition is in the ON position, even with the engine running.

The scanner I'm using, a Launch Creader Professional 123X, is supposed to be able to check the ABS on a Dakota. However, through all the options, one thing that keeps coming up is the suggestion to use a "Chrysler 6 pin or 16 pin connector". However, instead of finding that, I'm finding plenty of references to a "Chrysler 12+8 connector".
crcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Dakota