Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Dakota
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 08:48 PM   #1
crcook84
AF Newbie

1998 Dodge Dakota won't start in PARK, starts in REVERSE

So, I was tinkering around with a 1998 Dodge Dakota I recently got for cheap and am in the process or restoring. I had it up on jacks so that I could attempt to pass the monitors because the previous owner allowed the registration to expire. Well, as I was shifting back into PARK, I'm not sure I had the brake pedal completely depressed. I turned it off and attempted to turn it back on and it wouldn't start. I left it for a week because I had other things I was doing. The next weekend I had off, I decided to see if it was the starter, the ignition system, or something else entirely. On an impulse, I decided to try shifting it into REVERSE to see if that would start the car. It did, Once the car was started, I tried the various shift positions to see how they would react. PARK keeps the car from moving. REVERSE acts like neutral in that the car moves freely. NEUTRAL and DRIVE both put the car into drive.

I tried replacing the neutral safety switch because I was getting a P1899 error code. It didn't fix the shift situation. However, the code stopped showing. My next thought is that I need to replace something inside the transmission pan area. I did find something on YouTube about replacing the governor pressure solenoid. However, I'm not sure if it's that solenoid or another one that needs replacing.
crcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:11 PM   #2
crcook84
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Dodge Dakota won't start in PARK, starts in REVERSE

Update: It will start in PARK if the car has been sitting a while. However, if I start it in PARK, turn it off, and try to start it again, it won't start unless it's in REVERSE.
crcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Dakota