Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 01:44 AM   #1
error
AF Newbie

early 70's Dart

Well, my 18th bday is coming and getting an early 70's Dart with a Hemi in it. To get to the point, what would be the best sounding muffler for this dragster?
error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 04:00 AM   #2
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
GLASSPACK! That is all I would put on a Mopar. I have heard one a 340 4bbl and it sound loud and very nice. Just imagine the sound on a Hemi, those things sound sweet.

You lucky. . . . .
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 08:59 AM   #3
error
AF Newbie

Thanks, hehee. And whats really cool is my dad's friend is his private dealer, and he goes to auctions. Really sweet stuff, since as my dad has said, there's not much competition for muscle car auctions, just watch the auctions that are shown from time to time on Speed Channel, a mint 68 corvette went for 12,000.
error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 02:09 AM   #4
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Yeah, those Barret Jackson auctions, cars go for almost nothing.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 09:57 PM   #5
MAXSE01
AF Newbie

Get a true dual with X pipe with Flowmasters, that sounds MEAN the dart i wanna get has that and it sounds so, awesome, even better than my truk with flows.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:28 PM   #6
HillbilySailor
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to HillbilySailor Send a message via Yahoo to HillbilySailor
You suck!!! lol A Hemi Dart for your first car? Seriously though, I'd go with the dual exaust Flowmaster setup also. You don't want to get this thing too loud though . No need to draw the attention of Officer Friendly with a loud exaust! You'll be doing that enough with the SPEED that car will achieve! lol
HillbilySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 02:00 PM   #7
darkened
AF Newbie

Deffinitly go with the dual flowmasters. Leave the glass packs for the 4 bangers. The HEMI will produce a nice throaty sound all on its own.
darkened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:34 AM   #8
razookelly
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Hemi Dart! a little long but read it anyway

Hi Guys,
The words "HEMI DART" cought my attention! Back in 1968 I got my first NEW car. My Father bought it for me as a graduation gift. It was a '68 HEMI Roadrunner, 4 speed, Dana 60/4.11's. The real deal. It cost $4200.00, and of that, $800.00 was for the HEMI option.

I rolled the car in 1971, but salvaged the engine and drive train. I bought a new '71 Dart Swinger /6, auto on the column, A/C, vinyl roof, etc. It was gold with a black roof, and beige interior. Get the picture?

I also found and purchased a '69 GTX 440/6Bbl, 4 speed, dana, etc. It had 1600 miles on it and I got it for less than $2000.00. You have to understand that this was in the middle of the big oil embargo of the early 70's. Everyone was buying 4 cylinder cars, and anything with big cubes was dirt cheap!

In '73 I bought a '67 Mustang 289/auto with A/C. It had 48000 miles on it and I paid $500.00 cash for it. It was my in-laws car, and my wife always wanted it. This freed up the Dart for the Hemi, etc.

It took nearly 8 months to get the 426 HEMI, 833, Dana 60 into the A body, a lot of fabrication work, countless trips to the juck yards, parts stores, and even the dodge dealerships. Endless hours of cutting, welding, and fabricating. But it worked. Infact, it worked so well that the outward appearance of the Swinger looked stock. It was still gold with a black vinyl roof with beige interior. The column shift auto was gone, but a simple Hurst shifter allowed me to keep the front bench seat. I mini tubbed the the rear ( that's before the term "mini tub" was even a term!), tied and braced the frame rails, and had some minor sheet metal work done under the hood to fabricate some inner front wheel wells. Had new motor mounts fab'd to maintain the stock 6 cylinder K member which was heavily braced, and a new trans mount was added. THe Dana was narrowed and the driveshaft shortened at a local machine shop. I bought the clutch pedal hanger new, as well as a complete front disc breake set up with spindles, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and a 4 1/2" bolt circle to match the rear.
All in all, it was a great ride. Somewhere in my attic I've got some pics, and a bunch of notes that I made while doing the work. If and when I come across them, I'll either post them, or email them to you. They might help.

Good luck on your project. HEMI DARTS ARE AWESOM!!!

Buy AMERICAN!
razookelly is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > General Discussion