Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sprinter
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
Ryobu
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Ryobu
Suggestions on AE86 sr-5

heres my dilemma, i have the option of buying an ae86 sr-5 for free (with the exception of towing), anyways the problem is, the car has quite a few problems

#1 first of all it was donated to a highschool autoshop, so its been taken apart and put back together a number of times, well now its in the junkyard

#2 this is what the highschool broke on it
- the airconditioning is busted, something about the freon, bleh i don't remember
- the engine manifold is missing a few bolts here and there
- the exhaust is cracked somewhere

#3 the car is emitting blue smoke

#4 the car's undercarriage is rusted pretty badly, and so are the wheel wells

the guesstimate repair costs were ranging around 9k (canadian), 5k to repair the car so its runable, and 4k to repair rust

oh when i was checking out the engine, it had a 4a-ge label on it and it had a carb

now i could salvage it and bring it up to running conditions and then attempt a gt-s conversion but even bringing it back to life costs alot, i'm not really sure if its worth the investment (no offence), i'd love to have a running 86, but i'm not sure about this project
Ryobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
mrceej
AF Enthusiast

Re: Suggestions on AE86 sr-5

Short answer, if you can afford it then go for it.

You sound like you know what you are getting yourself into already. But I have a couple of questions.

Are you sure it is an SR5 with a 4AGE that is carbuerated?
How familiar are you with the Corolla?

An SR5 in the US is equipped with the 4AC engine and is carbuerated with the GT-S having the 4AGE engine but is fuel injected. It is possible to convert a 4AGE to carbuerated but I think you should make sure of what the car actually is and how it is equipped before you move forward.
mrceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #3
Ryobu
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Ryobu

yeh i know for sure its carbeurated but i wasn't sure if the engine was a 4a-ge, it kinda looked like someone just put a sticker on it
probably is a 4ac lol
and i'm sure its a sr-5 unless they put on the wrong emblem hehehe

and i can afford the repairs and fixing the rust its just the gt-s conversion is probably going to have to wait quite awhile, i don't even know how much i'm going to have to invest for that
i'm just hoping i can get this all done in 5 years...

if i can, i'll go find the car take a few pics of it and upload them here, i wouldn't be surprised if the only thing salvageable is the shell -_-;;
Ryobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
mrceej
AF Enthusiast

At this point, if you can keep it somewhere then I'd say yeah take it now before miss the opportunity. I'm sure if you wait, then another one will come your way eventually but since they are popular and semi-rare, it's so much harder to find nowadays. If they are the same as the US Corollas and it is in fact a 4AC engine, you can do the swap little by little. But from what I understand, it can be cheaper to just find a GT-S to start with. I was going to buy my friends dads SR5 coupe for $400. I told my friend that I was thinking of converting it later on down the line. He told me it usually costs more to do it that way and promptly offered a different coupe that was a GT-S with the AE92 high comp 4AGE and LSD for $1600. Just an example, I don't know how abundant corollas are in your area but GOOD LUCK!!
mrceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
ae86-sr5
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ae86-sr5
well as you can see i also have an sr-5 with a few problems on it. if the exaust has a crack. an aftermarket exaust would probably be cheaper. and all the other things. if the repair cost is as high as you say...i would be putting aftermarket things on it. because aside from that the car is bairly worth a grand. but it would be a fun project. and as was said before. if you can aford it, go for it. and if you really want it and it seems worth it to you, then thats even better
ae86-sr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
EVOclipse
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EVOclipse
So, im new to Carburated motors...how on earth can you tune them for more money, i bought an sr5 and plan on getting as much suspension/other then power upgrades as possible before attempting the swap, but any way to increase HP until would be greatly appreciated....also where on earth can i buy parts for this car?

(96 eclipse RS 5-speed, magnaflow exhaust,chrome headers,cold air intake,denso iridium sparkplugs,new kumho tires )******EDIT totalled car now*******
EVOclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
toyota_ae86
AF Newbie

if its rusted, buy it and use it for parts. buy another corolla that is rust free and maybe needs some body panels or interior. combine the two. corollas and rust=trashcan.

far as people wanting 4ac parts

www.deltacam.com order a regrind cam
www.paradiseracing.com shnider racing cam, weber 32/36, double valve springs

i have a 4ac myself, my mods an oder holley 2bbl carb, delta 272 cam, straight piped out the side.

future to pull a few more HP, 4age bluetop block, handle up to 9000rpm, built 4ac head, double valve springs, 282 cam, holley carb, 3tc dizzy, MSD wires, MSD ignition box, custom intake manifold, custom exhuast header
toyota_ae86 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sprinter