Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 11:25 AM   #16
jmrev
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: 3S-GE engine swap on a 96 camry (5S-FE)

jmrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #17
EnDlesS_PeRfOrMaNc
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to EnDlesS_PeRfOrMaNc Send a message via Yahoo to EnDlesS_PeRfOrMaNc
Re: 3S-GE engine swap on a 96 camry (5S-FE)

This ish an easy one, the block of a 3S-GE is the same as a 5S thats why they are bothe S engines. They share the same except the slight more bore and stroke made by the crank on a 5S to make the 2.2 litewrs versus the shorter stroke on the 3S thus 2 make onlee 2 liters. the GE head would no problem fit on the 5S block, hey they even use the same head gasket kits cause all the gaskets are the same , from the head gasket, intake manifold gasket ect.Altho , the bearing caps may be slightly stronger on a 3S but i dont really think so tho.3S and 5S use same block designs outer and inner except sligh displacment difrance,they use the same oil, water pump,even lower timing cover. computers are easyly exchangebale and other compponents.Altho i hab done the 5S engine wif the GE headmaking it a 5S-GE cause i wanted the displacment and it worked greak, altho i had to rewerk my ecu to bring up my redline ect.GE heads are good for high reving and and the slightly larger intake valves being more space with the larger cam space, FE heads are good doch heads for low end torque and fuel efficiency.Thats why i went all out with a 5VZ-FE(4Runner V6)based of the 3Vz that powerd the 92-93 Camry and 88 up 4Runner. Buth using the rewerked 3VZ computer, high compression and dual exhaust and large external coil,(advantage of distibutered engine.
EnDlesS_PeRfOrMaNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:47 PM   #18
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Good answer!
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #19
wormhole
AF Newbie

go to toyotanation.com . I think you questions has been asked a number of times on this site.
wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #20
Stupidvillager
AF Newbie

New Engine

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. Now all I have to do is get it done. Thanks again
Stupidvillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:04 PM   #21
Stupidvillager
AF Newbie

I just read your reply again and I relized that it only helped me a little in an answer to my question. I have to replace the whole engine and not just the heads, so bolting the new heads to the old block would not work. I want to know if the entire 3S-GE would bolt in with minimal mods done to the engine bay. Or if any other engine would for that matter.
Stupidvillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:11 PM   #22
thewraith
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to thewraith
I apologize for the delayed answer... computer at home has a screen of death... been without internet unless at work ...

91-94 5s-fe will accept the 3s-ge head with minor hardware mods, but requires the 3s-ge electronics...

95 to 96 5s-fe will require major modifications to the short block as in the oil and water passeages needs to be ported to accept the 3s-ge ...
THEWraith Pics
WAIT FOR THE REBIRTH OF THEWRAITH... its coming
5S-GTE Project
thewraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:30 PM   #23
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

140 does suck for a heavy car. I think midsize cars like the Camry need a V6, whereas people who want a four-cylinder should stick with the Corolla. But hey, it's their 10 second 0-60 time
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:37 AM   #24
thewraith
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to thewraith
Re: Re: 3S-GE engine swap on a 96 camry (5S-FE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman10587
140 does suck for a heavy car. I think midsize cars like the Camry need a V6, whereas people who want a four-cylinder should stick with the Corolla. But hey, it's their 10 second 0-60 time

where does it say a 3s-gte camry run a 10second 0-60 foot time ??? Form your statement shows how knowledgable you are on the subject matter...
THEWraith Pics
WAIT FOR THE REBIRTH OF THEWRAITH... its coming
5S-GTE Project
thewraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 08:48 AM   #25
EnDlesS_PeRfOrMaNc
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to EnDlesS_PeRfOrMaNc Send a message via Yahoo to EnDlesS_PeRfOrMaNc
Talking 5S-FE to 5S-GE

Sorry i did not clarify more, onlee late 96 steer away frum but 97 up OBD 2 are diff in some design, but anyway,it is easily done as stated ofr the GE head on a 5S to as i stated that the 3S and 5S blocks are indentical except for engine bore.Some 95-96 models also hab a balancer in the oil pan that rides on the crank, not to be worried about tho.Also if yur look for boost in oil pressure by about 5-15 lbs over stock, there are spring kits that are designs for boosting oil pressure in yur engine over stock pressure, without removing the oil pump from the body of the engine.When swap the GE head on the 5S use a 3S-GE head set, for use of the head gasket and intake gasket, depending which year GE head yur using, and the valve cover gasket.

C. Supatanampon-Chheang
(baorice@yahoo.com)
Old 09-21-2004, 09:33 AM   #26
EnDlesS_PeRfOrMaNc
AF Newbie

Post Take a Look

I am currently doing a 5S-Ge application for a customer at my shop, well my shop is full of cars now so i am doing this one at my house.This is a 95 Toyota Camry with a 5S and 5 speed. I have picked up the compression to 10.95:1 (well 11.0:1) and using pistons that my brother sent me from my contry from his Tuner shop( DUNK Performance and Engineering, Thailand) I lightened the crank also, i picked up the oil pressure by about 8-14 extra pounds, especially cause i am running an external oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator to keep the engine oil really cool.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/untouchable/5S-GE.jpg
in the first pic there i hab all the parts scattered across the ground for assembly, um, disreggard the front plate on the Camry that says" JESUS" on it, um the car was just bought as a project ha ha ha.
http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/untouchable/5S-GTE.jpg
this picture shows the engine assembled with the pistons, there special custom, high heat and compression pistons made for this engine by my brother in thailand, note the color of the top, a blueish, reddish,silverish color. to take very high comp and heat.With the head planned and poprted the compression will be roughlly 11.3:1 I will soon send final pics of the completted project

C. Supatanampon-Chheang
(Baorice@yahoo.com)
Old 09-21-2004, 09:38 AM   #27
EnDlesS_PeRfOrMaNc
AF Newbie

Re: Take a Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDlesS_PeRfOrMaNc
I am currently doing a 5S-Ge application for a customer at my shop, well my shop is full of cars now so i am doing this one at my house.This is a 95 Toyota Camry with a 5S and 5 speed. I have picked up the compression to 10.95:1 (well 11.0:1) and using pistons that my brother sent me from my contry from his Tuner shop( DUNK Performance and Engineering, Thailand) I lightened the crank also, i picked up the oil pressure by about 8-14 extra pounds, especially cause i am running an external oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator to keep the engine oil really cool.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/untouchable/5S-GE.jpg
in the first pic there i hab all the parts scattered across the ground for assembly, um, disreggard the front plate on the Camry that says" JESUS" on it, um the car was just bought as a project ha ha ha.
http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/untouchable/5S-GTE.jpg
this picture shows the engine assembled with the pistons, there special custom, high heat and compression pistons made for this engine by my brother in thailand, note the color of the top, a blueish, reddish,silverish color. to take very high comp and heat.With the head planned and poprted the compression will be roughlly 11.3:1 I will soon send final pics of the completted project

(Um yu will prob need to download the target to view the engine, angelfire sucks lol)

C. Supatanampon-Chheang
(Baorice@yahoo.com)

(downloading the link as a target will enable yu 2 view the engine)
Old 09-30-2004, 11:47 AM   #28
jmrev
AF Enthusiast

that some good info, sorry for the post delay i have no internet unless I use the one from school, well my father has been mad today for the slow acceleration and has been anticipating a better engine performance, so we might just swap heads or go with the full engine.
jmrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:44 PM   #29
EnDlesS_PeRfOrMaNc
AF Newbie

hmmm

wuts goin on there?I have not had a problem, i made necessary procedure
and other thing. Altho i hab a adjustable fuel pressure regulator,um i had a 5S distributor with trhe coil in it but used the external coiled distributpr instead.the 3s exhause header and intake and a 5s throttle and linkages., most thing like oip pressure switch i use frum 5S head and emisions crap and also the map sensor is a must for engine performance. email me and ill give yu the full break down.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista