Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: gtp vs 94-95 cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
yeah they had the 5.4L supercharged motor out of the Lightnings and were like $65,000, in '03 the cobra's started coming with the 390hp s/c'd motor standard for like $30,000 and they did away with the cobra R.
A friend of mine has the 03 Cobra SC, its not all that quick off the line due to traction issues.
I used to beat him all day long in my slightly modified 99 GA SE. But after he swapped out the stock pulley on the SC he's a lot quicker.

95 sytle stangs werent all that quick or fast without some mods.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #17
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
true, but i was referring to the DOHC 4.6L in the cobra's, that made 305hp. the SOHC motor in the GT's were rated at 260.

yeah they had the 5.4L supercharged motor out of the Lightnings and were like $65,000, in '03 the cobra's started coming with the 390hp s/c'd motor standard for like $30,000 and they did away with the cobra R.

Close, the Cobra R just had the 5.4L motor, not the s/c
GForce957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #18
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

Some mustang info for those who care... I spent a lot of time with mustangs and lots of time dreaming of the ones I wanted.

First off, 1987-1993 5.0 was 225 hp. Except for the 1993 Cobra which was rated to 235 hp. Once the body style changed the 5.0 was rated for 215 hp and the Cobra was rated for 240 (though the engines were identical to the previous years) The funny fact was that Cobra heads and intake were called GT40... not because they had anything at all to do with a GT40 but because they were supposed to add about 40 hp to the GT's rating. Most dyno's show those year cobras are really making about 260-270 hp.

Once 1996 rolled over and the first like of 4.6 motors rolled out it was sort of a drag. The GT had 215 hp but lacked the low end grunt of the 5.0. The Cobra really had even less grunt but the 4V heads made it pretty quick (300HP) It wasn't until 1999 that the GT had 260 hp (due to the PI heads mainly) and the Cobra had 320.

The Cobra R was only made a few years and in very limited quantity. The 2000 is the one everyone thinks about and it did have a 5.4 liter motor. It also had 4v Heads which from my understanding even the blown lightning does not have. There were only 300 made and all were spoken for before they were even built. I did sit in one at a dealer (used but only as a show car) and if you hate the interior of the SN95 mustang, you will choke when you see this car. It has no back seat and only a piece of cloth to hide the trunk hole, no AC, and no other real features, the owners manual does tell you how to set the car up for different kind of races though... pretty cool.

Lastly, who ever said the 03 cobra is not quick is crazy. I have driven the car and it will make your hairs on your arms stand up. The thing has crazy torque, a way better feel than the other mustangs, and is a legitimate 12 second car (high 12s usually).

My buddy had a 1994 Cobra with full exhaust cold air intake, aluminum flywheel, a shifter and some springs and he was running mid 13's all day in Maryland, I am not questioning one losing to a GTP, but they are nothing to scoff at....... UNLESS YOU HAVE AN LS1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-1991 Cavalier
-1997 Taurus GL
-1987 Ranger V6
-1985 Aries
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing