Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 03:28 AM   #1
FairyDust
AF Regular

Question Tinting

I'm gonna get my windows tinted. They aren't tinted yet and its driving me absolutely insane! I'm short to beginw ith and so all the damn drivers side headlights always hit right in my mirror at night. And then the glare off my car drives me insane, etc. Even the sunroof, its so lightly tinted that its like driving a freakin convertible all the time unless I shut the sliding piece to block out all light. Another problem I have is when the sun is behind me in the late afternoons I get a ton of light through the back window.

So I'm gonna get them tinted, including the sunroof. I think I'm going to go with 20% tinting. I don't want something too light that it doesn't help or looks ridiculous. And I don't want to go with anything too dark that you can't see into the car at all.

So I was wondering what you all have gotten and how you like it? And I'm gonna ask a friend who's the best person around to do the tinting. But I want to make sure I don't get screwed on the price, so how much did you all pay also for your tinting?

And if any of you have 20% tinting, do you like it?
FairyDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
03DMeclipse
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 03DMeclipse Send a message via MSN to 03DMeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to 03DMeclipse
Re: Tinting

heres my website.. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/620210/1 i have the mirror tint on my car but the top is 20%...not sure if you can get a good picture of it or not...i payed 185 for my tint but for the original tine was 160 for all windows......the only thing i have a problem is backing up at night cuz its dark and i have to stick my head out of my window to see where im going...but i do like it though
03DMeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:08 AM   #3
3G GT
AF Newbie

I Have a 20% window tint too. I only had to spend like 30 bucks. it is the limo tint not mirror. It looks way better than before
3G GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
crazy_ugly_coyote
Banned

Send a message via AIM to crazy_ugly_coyote

where did you spend 30 bucks at? mexico????
crazy_ugly_coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
perna00
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to perna00

autozone, mine too. 20% $12.99 per roll. takes 2 rolls and EXTREME PATIENCE!
perna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:29 PM   #6
FairyDust
AF Regular

Re: Re: Tinting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03DMeclipse
heres my website.. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/620210/1 i have the mirror tint on my car but the top is 20%...not sure if you can get a good picture of it or not...i payed 185 for my tint but for the original tine was 160 for all windows......the only thing i have a problem is backing up at night cuz its dark and i have to stick my head out of my window to see where im going...but i do like it though

Thats funny, I was just looking at your car the other day at cardomain. I was looking at 3gen eclipses there and so I was pulling them by the year instead of just all the eclipses.

As for doing it myself, no way! I am not tinting my windows myself. Knowing me I'd screw it up royally. I hate seeing bubbles and shit in tinting. And I know I'd get bubbles in it and stuff. I'm just not patient enough to do it myself. Plus I've heard with the curving in our windows it even harder to get right than on some other cars. So I'm way too paranoid to take the risk of having a crappy tinting job if I did it.
FairyDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:55 PM   #7
03DMeclipse
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 03DMeclipse Send a message via MSN to 03DMeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to 03DMeclipse

i actually tried to tint my windows myself one time...it didnt work out that well, had a bunch of creases in the window and it was very frustrating...not to mention it was hard doing it by myself...at the end, i put the used roll back in the orginal box and took it back to advance autoparts and said i changed my mind....got my money back to...lol...its better to do a great job than a crappy one
03DMeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:01 PM   #8
perna00
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to perna00

around here in pa it's around $250 for a shop to tint windows. i didn't get the windows perfect the 1st time so i bought another roll and still saved over $200. if you are going to try it. make sure all dust is off the windows and clean it really well. the secret is whenever you spray the window and tint to put it on the inside, SOAK it. the wetter the film is, the more you can slide it and squeegie it without causing scrape lines and folds. also, if you get all the bubbles out except for a few that keep coming back, leave it alone for around 1 hour (70 degrees F; longer if it's colder) and resqueegie it and the film will be drier and stick to the window holding the air out. if you have bubbles that are in the middle of the tint that you missed when the tint is wet, let the tint completely dry (2-3 days @ 70 degrees; longer if colder) and use a pin to put a small hole in the middle of the bubble. you can then press the air through the hole and get the film to stick to the window without the air pocket. if you get very large bubbles and can't get them out, your window is too curved and you're going to either have to get the tint strips or take a blade and cut a slit across the section where it's curved the most. i prefer the strips but some people just cut it and use chrome taking or something on the outside to hide it. just takes time. * i just changed my pic so you could see the results of 20%

Last edited by perna00; 11-04-2004 at 11:03 PM.
perna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:54 PM   #9
Red02Cav
AF Newbie

On my old car a cavalier i had the mirror tint as well it was black fading to red. well now that i dont have that car anymore and i purchased a 2003 black eclipse i got my windows tinted in black...i have 32%(32% is what they put on some factory cars, trust me, i work at a dealership) on the front and like 13% on the back windows...with my cavalier i had 13% and got tickets for it being too dark...in my own town i was on the head hunt with the police department....and now that i have my eclipse i can actually go into town and its still dark enough but its kinda legal...its a clean look trust me...
Red02Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
Stickin_It_2_Em
Banned

Usually if a thread hasnt been posted in for a while there is a reason for this. Please do not bring back old threads. They are just a waste of space.
Stickin_It_2_Em is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+