Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 09:06 PM   #1
drbassbmd
AF Newbie

Unhappy My car doesn't like 91

hey guys i did a very stupid thing the other day. I went to the gas station and put 91 in my nova. ran pretty good for a day next day i saw a big decrease in performance. now i can't go down the street with out it stalling.
drbassbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:03 PM   #2
Indetrucks
AF Regular

Re: My car doesn't like 91

What did you run before? VP red 112 octane ?
65 Chevelle SS BB
72/01 Mini Cooper (Classic)
02 Ducati 998 Mono SuperBike
Quote:
[I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country…]
Indetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:15 AM   #3
drbassbmd
AF Newbie

No I was running 87. any ways to fix it?
Old 07-31-2004, 09:44 AM   #4
Indetrucks
AF Regular

Somethings wrong here... If you were running 87 and now have put in 91, It should be running a lot BETTER! First thing I would do is check and see if they sell Diesel at the gas station you filled up at. Because the only was your car should run worse is if you went from a higher octane like 112 down to 91 because you have high compression. In my personal opinion either A: You accidentally put Diesel in your car or B: It's not the gas and merley a coincidence. that your car started to run worse right after filling up.. What year nova is it?
65 Chevelle SS BB
Quote:
[I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country…]
Old 07-31-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
drbassbmd
AF Newbie

its a 1970 307ci. They don't sell Diesel at that gas station. I figured if 91 was the same price as 87 a month ago then i would start putting in 91. Also i heard that 91 has less air so it doesn't burn as fast give more mpg, but I think its to thick for my carb I dont know what the hell is worng with it.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:46 PM   #6
nova68
AF Enthusiast

it not the gas something wrong is with your car?
nova68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:53 PM   #7
Indetrucks
AF Regular

I agree.. Unless the gas you got was contaminated I.E water in it then it's your car. Take a sample of your gas if you really think it has something to do with after filling it up. Put the gas in a glass jar and you will be able to see the water seperate from the actual gas. Higher Octane in some instances will cause better gas milage but more importantly it burns hotter and cleaner causing just about any car to run better.. In no way have I ever heard of 87 octane out performing 91 octane. Might want to get a fuel sample just in case.. Last time I checked gas prices havent been dropping.. well at least not here in California.. Where are you located and was it a reputable gas station? Or was it one of those cheap off brand stations? You never know..?
65 Chevelle SS BB
Quote:
Old 07-31-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
drbassbmd
AF Newbie

I live in cali too im in the inland empire area 87 was 2.39 at one point i just got it at arco for 2.03. When i got the 91 I got it from Albertsons i paid like 2.30 or 2.27 for it. the car ran fine before i put the 91 in. most likely is my car but the 91 must have caused it. You know when you push on the gas when the cars not on and you'll flood ur carb well i was under the hood seeing if gas was getting to it and there was only one steam then no more. before I could pull it and make gas come out fine.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:11 AM   #9
drbassbmd
AF Newbie

im up
Old 08-02-2004, 02:44 PM   #10
Indetrucks
AF Regular

Your Up? as in problem fixed? What was it?
65 Chevelle SS BB
Quote:
Old 08-03-2004, 08:28 AM   #11
drbassbmd
AF Newbie

no I still have the problem i said im up so it would show me online then i figured out that I can sign in and it will show me that im online.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #12
Indetrucks
AF Regular

Here is the next step if the Gas isnt contaminated I.E. Water. Check that your fuel pump is working correctly. A lot of times on cars with this age the diaphram in them goes bad. They are cheap and easy to replace, About $30 at local auto parts store and maybe 30 minutes to an hour to install. Located on the side of the block. So if you're not getting gas and your jets/carburator are ok, then check the fuel pump.
65 Chevelle SS BB
Quote:
Old 08-04-2004, 02:17 AM   #13
drbassbmd
AF Newbie

well I can get it start and now the fuel is gettign to the carb. I turned the engine on and I turned it off and now i have gas going to it. I had a hard tiem starting it up and i saw smoke coming from the engine. i turned it off checked it out saw nothin. started it back up then i got it going but it was shaking really hard. more then it used to. it never did that before. I still have the same problem if i try to gun it will stall
Old 08-05-2004, 07:55 AM   #14
Indetrucks
AF Regular

It sounds like you need to start with just the basics. Running rough like that could be many many things. Gas could be contaminated and or spark distribution may be insufficient? We can go on and on about things to check but start with the basics. It's probably not as bad as you think. As far as smoke from under the hood? Could be valve covers leaking a little bit of oil onto your exhaust manifolds/headers then burning off... sounds interesting..
65 Chevelle SS BB
Quote:
Old 08-07-2004, 08:41 PM   #15
big dwag
AF Regular

what kind of motor oil do you run in it, if the oil dosen't have HD in it then your intake will build up carbon under the pan on the bottom side of it, and it will make it stall and it will not want to run right. it happen to me when i went from a two barrel to a four barrel intake.and i had the same problems that you are having. all i had to do was to take it off and pull the pan off and clean it out and put everything back on, and it ran good and it still running strong.
big dwag is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova