Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
tacoma man.
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to tacoma man.
i would like to raise my tacoma an inch and add some wide tires

will wide tires wear my steering box and front end out? i has winking maybe 17x8 wheels and raise it an inch or two.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
Blazing Rice
AF Regular

Get some coil spacers, you can get maybe 1-2" out of those for cheap. You can run 17x8 wheels on your truck, make sure you get the correct backspacing though.
Blazing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to goinbig
Re: i would like to raise my tacoma an inch and add some wide tires

Yep, what Blazing Rice said.

You may also want to consider a body lift as well.

With 8" wide wheels, don't get tires that are any wider than 12.5". And no, they won't be too hard on your steering box or anything else.
goinbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:47 AM   #4
Z71sc
AF Newbie

Arrow Re: i would like to raise my tacoma an inch and add some wide tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma man.
will wide tires wear my steering box and front end out? i has winking maybe 17x8 wheels and raise it an inch or two.
My education is in Aeronautical Science (Jets/Jet Helicopters) I also fly all of them, who had a toyota 4x4 v6 xcab for 250,000 miles............no problems with steering box, power steering, only cv's (which are plastic covers) after enormous miles.

2 inch is the minimum you can go and if your going to go that hight, the perfect tire SIZE tire would be a 32x11.5 it looks really good on your truck, good gas milage and you don't have to change the gearing. Stay with the following below, you'll have no problems

It's only about (1) more inch taller than stock and (1.) inch wider than stock, so it gives that sqauty look perfect look.

This is my 3rd 4x4 so, the mistakes have been all done with. How is it when you go around a corner, your entire truck "ROLLS". Underneath your stock truck your have a bar running underneath it called a "ANTI_SWAY BAR."

This bar can bee upgraded to a thicker one for about $150.00, i forget the name of the company. The installation of the thicker "ANTI-SWAY BAR will not affect the ride of the vehicle whatsover.........your truck will sill be smooth........it will resist rolling, that's all.

What else, any other questions PM me..........oh Sam's CLUB (competition to Costco) who is operated by SAM WALMART has a goodyear CALLED THE ADT2 which is sold to those stores and it is an awesome TIRE and very quiet, they just don't make it bigger than 31"

Then if you really have money and don't care........Dick Cepeck makes tires that are 31x12.50 yes you heard it right..........31x12.50 so your truck is just as fast as stock and just as wide as the big 33" tires.

I had them on my toyota 4x4 V6 xcab and everybody would stop me.
THose tires were equal to Peirelli (sp) in truck tires, they didn't slide in the rain, were so soft. they are now about $299.00 per tire or more.

SO anyway, send me a PM, let me know what you did with your truck. p.s, LUV those classic trans ams. What? 6.6L Burns more gas than a 747
Z71sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
kenny-1907
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to kenny-1907

I disagree with goinbig , larger wider tires are harder on everything in the front end. This is why they sell fish plates for the full size blazers/jimmys. The exact wording in the parts book reads "Because it WILL break" meaning the frame right at the steering box. Especially wider tires, they are alot harder to turn becuase they have a wider foot print on the ground although this may not be as much of an issue on a lighter vehicle like a tacoma, my 88 jimmy was 5600 lbs.

6" Pro Comp lift
305/55/20 BFG A/T KO'S
K&N FIPK GENII
Flo Pro V force muffler & 4" slash cut stainless tips
Color matched front and rear Bowties
3" polished stainless bull bar and Nerf bars
kenny-1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 04:40 PM   #6
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: i would like to raise my tacoma an inch and add some wide tires

It will wear most everything in the front end out, but over time. If you're going for tires that fit an 8" wide rim you won't have to worry about things wearing out for a while though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbig
You may also want to consider a body lift as well.
If you plan on doing anything close to moderate off-roading please get a suspension lift, and if you still need a little more clearance then consider a body lift. The reason being that when you get a suspension lift you upgrade just about all the suspension components if not all and they're made to be beat to hell. A body lift will give you the ride heigh you're looking for but it will still have the stock suspension for off roading.
Andydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:52 PM   #7
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

he only wanted to raise it an inch. Why spend the money for a 1" suspension lift?

I said he should get 12.5" wide tires. They will not cause the frame to crack, unless he is really rough on the truck.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:03 PM   #8
danny350
AF Regular

Full-size, older chevy's had weak, flexible, frames that would crack near the steering box with big tires, Your truck doesn't.

The larger tires will wear your steering/suspension faster than stock tires will. How fast depends on how big you go and how you drive.

My friend has a 97' Tacoma, with a 6" Trailmaster susp, 3" body and 35's. His struts/tie-rod-ends/ball-joints don't last too long.
danny350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

Big enough tires will cause any frame to crack near the steering box. Chevy's are just weaker in that area.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
WiKiD_G
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: i would like to raise my tacoma an inch and add some wide tires

http://www.mytoyotatruck.com/gallery...Good/78330.jpg

Take a look at my lift. King Racing coil overs straight from box to truck in about 1/2 hour. Have 285/70/16's equivalent to 32.8" tires. Have to hop up to get in and I'm 5'9"
WiKiD_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:43 AM   #11
RootBreaker
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiKiD_G
http://www.mytoyotatruck.com/gallery...Good/78330.jpg

Take a look at my lift. King Racing coil overs straight from box to truck in about 1/2 hour. Have 285/70/16's equivalent to 32.8" tires. Have to hop up to get in and I'm 5'9"
not a bad looking truck....
so here is the deal... if all he needs is 1" there are a few ways...

1. grab your sawzall and cut away
2. buy a body lift
3. buy a suspension lift

now doubt most of you will opt for #1

#2 will not and I repeat will not be tough on the steering box or components.. cmon guys.. he is only lifting the body off the frame 1"

3. can do but expensive.. if you are going to do that go crazy and lift that puppy..... 1" lift kit.... no bragging there...

now I suggest the body lift..
alot of people will say.. they are unsafe and horrible...
I have ALWAYS had a boy lift.. well not now as my truck had to come down to be NJ legal..but found a way around that so will be adding a body lift back on hopefully this summer...

1978 chevy 4x4
3" body lift
33x12x16.5 tires
wasnt big but wheeled it hard for YEARS

then came
12" suspension lift
3" body lift
40" hawgs
getting ready for rockwell axles
53" michelins

but back on NJ legal
6" suspension lift
1" zero rate
40" hawgs

doing a crew cab upgrade this summer...
gonna try and find a 10k+gvrw crew cab
then 3" body lift back on
12" leafs back under
rockwells under
53" michelins
LEGAL down the road
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
hgarza908
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71sc
My education is in Aeronautical Science (Jets/Jet Helicopters) I also fly all of them, who had a toyota 4x4 v6 xcab for 250,000 miles............no problems with steering box, power steering, only cv's (which are plastic covers) after enormous miles.

2 inch is the minimum you can go and if your going to go that hight, the perfect tire SIZE tire would be a 32x11.5 it looks really good on your truck, good gas milage and you don't have to change the gearing. Stay with the following below, you'll have no problems

It's only about (1) more inch taller than stock and (1.) inch wider than stock, so it gives that sqauty look perfect look.

This is my 3rd 4x4 so, the mistakes have been all done with. How is it when you go around a corner, your entire truck "ROLLS". Underneath your stock truck your have a bar running underneath it called a "ANTI_SWAY BAR."

This bar can bee upgraded to a thicker one for about $150.00, i forget the name of the company. The installation of the thicker "ANTI-SWAY BAR will not affect the ride of the vehicle whatsover.........your truck will sill be smooth........it will resist rolling, that's all.

What else, any other questions PM me..........oh Sam's CLUB (competition to Costco) who is operated by SAM WALMART has a goodyear CALLED THE ADT2 which is sold to those stores and it is an awesome TIRE and very quiet, they just don't make it bigger than 31"

Then if you really have money and don't care........Dick Cepeck makes tires that are 31x12.50 yes you heard it right..........31x12.50 so your truck is just as fast as stock and just as wide as the big 33" tires.

I had them on my toyota 4x4 V6 xcab and everybody would stop me.
THose tires were equal to Peirelli (sp) in truck tires, they didn't slide in the rain, were so soft. they are now about $299.00 per tire or more.

SO anyway, send me a PM, let me know what you did with your truck. p.s, LUV those classic trans ams. What? 6.6L Burns more gas than a 747
Quick question I have a 2004 Silverado 2wd and I have tires for it,but I don't know if they will fit without a lift. The Tires are 31x12.50. Do you know if I will need a lift and if so what size of lift?
hgarza908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
Slulsetum
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Slulsetum
Download playstation 3 console games for free only at www.downloadps3games.org

Howdy

Play video games? want free ps3 games? today you can [url=http://www.downloadps3games.org]download playstation 3 games 4 free here

[url=http://www.downloadps3games.org]downloadps3games.org
Slulsetum is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical